Author Topic: Gasoline shortages?  (Read 7128 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Gasoline shortages?
« on: May 11, 2021, 08:33:04 AM »
Are any of our members feeling the effects of the pipeline shutdown by seeing long lines at gas stations? The bad news is that the pipeline also carries diesel and jet fuel. How do you get the gasoline to the stations if the delivery trucks have no fuel?

From cheap gas to long lines in 100 days. Thanks Joe Biden.

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
Re: Gasoline shortages?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 09:14:02 AM »
Pipelines?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 09:16:08 AM by Rusty »
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 09:41:00 AM »
The sources that I read announced the potential problem on Friday afternoon, so the wife and I went and filled our vehicles ahead of the rush. Normally we fill up on Sundays anyways, but I figured we'd get a jump on on info a few days early and man am I glad. Prices jumped to about $3 a gallon and lines at the gas stations have grown - and we're in AZ, not even in the affected area.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 10:52:01 AM »
Pipelines?

mmm hmmm........

and the want to shut down more of them and prevent new ones to  be built and or  improved.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 01:55:53 PM »
When you look at that map, we have one pipeline coming into our area in the northern part of the state. I would say we are vulnerable to a disruption in supply. I read where the supposed hackers sort of apologized and said they did the deed solely for profit and not to harm people. I think they earned themselves a visit from special forces or a Hellfire missle. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 04:57:08 PM »
We had a major gasoline pipeline break 17 years ago in Tucson. Was many decades old and had evidence of hairline cracks, it failed and sprayed several house close by with gas. Phoenix up the road had shortages for a week as I recall, and thank God a fire didn't break out. But all the homes had to be demolished after that. Could have been a real disaster.

https://www.doney.net/aroundaz/gas_lines.htm

Offline ron350

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 05:42:51 PM »
Yep, looks like the people in charge are using this as an excuse to jack up prices.

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 06:19:42 PM »
Think they'll shut Colonial down?

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline walrus

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 06:39:56 PM »
All the fuel in maine comes from new brunswick. prices jumped 10 cents

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 07:27:17 PM »
Liberals hate gas. so this is the plan force electric powered vehicles down our throat cause they`ve got ample tec and charging set ups to run the whole country now.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 12:25:21 AM »
Liberals hate gas. so this is the plan force electric powered vehicles down our throat cause they`ve got ample tec and charging set ups to run the whole country now.

Good head start on the "green raw deal"
boop/bop/beep

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 09:17:39 AM »
Plenty of panic buying here, a number of stations are out.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 09:44:02 AM »
Read in the paper this morning that Colonial is operating manually and thinks they will be back to 100% by Friday

As much as I dislike the way the country is heading, I don't think you can blame the progressives for this.  Not saying they won't use it to their advantage because they will. 

As to electric cars, I can see myself in one at some point.  I like the idea but will wait until they are better developed and priced decently

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 10:18:56 AM »
We have plenty of Teslas running around here due to EM's buddies up at the lake. I just can't picture ranchers loading up their trailers with livestock and pulling it with their electric truck. I also wonder how electric semis will do going over Donner Pass and how much their range will be limited by mountain grades.

For your entertainment check out how this lady loads a plastic grocery bag with gasoline. You don't need a Twitter account to view this but you must click the view button.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1392258528576819200

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 10:26:39 AM »
We have plenty of Teslas running around here due to EM's buddies up at the lake. I just can't picture ranchers loading up their trailers with livestock and pulling it with their electric truck. I also wonder how electric semis will do going over Donner Pass and how much their range will be limited by mountain grades.

For your entertainment check out how this lady loads a plastic grocery bag with gasoline. You don't need a Twitter account to view this but you must click the view button.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1392258528576819200

Idiocy on full display. If brains were dynamite that lady wouldn't have enough to blow her nose.

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2021, 10:37:08 AM »
I'll admit Teslas intrigue me. I'm still working on the the reality bending of how contaminating water with poisonous rare earths and strip mine pits are "greener" then fracking  contaminating water with carbon based compounds.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2021, 10:45:20 AM »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2021, 10:55:37 AM »
Electric isn't practical for trucks and heavy hard use vehicles now, but may be at some point

electric F150 Lightning is coming out next year.  Got an email from ford as I bought a new ford 3 years ago, no real info on the truck though

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2021, 11:00:45 AM »
This is the part of people operating Teslas that scares me.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/police-california-tesla-driver-riding-in-backseat-arrested/ar-BB1gEGWC?ocid=msedgntp

Wow, hope they throw the book at that guy.  Said he doesn't fill up gas, doesn't drive and is a gold collar.  Bet he would be popular in the county lock up if the judge decides to give him a few weekends.  Also said he was going to do it again

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »
Electric cars won't take off until they are as cheap as gas cars, can go as far on a "tank", and be "refilled" as fast as a gas car. Call me pessimistic but I don't see that happening.

Maybe they'll have a niche market for wealthy buyers but I seriously doubt they take over unless the gubmint mandates them. Let's see how well political leaders do with private electric jets.

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 02:23:10 PM »
Quote from AutoTrader  "The number crunchers at KBB just reported that the estimated average transaction price for a light vehicle in the United States was $40,857 in January 2021. That's an increase of $2,110 compared to January 2020, but is actually slightly down - by $295 - from the prior month."

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/the-average-new-car-price-is-now-over-40000

Old folk comparison in 1968 Dad paid $2896.00 Total for a 1968 Ford Torino GT fast back with all the fixins.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 02:48:55 PM »
Quote from AutoTrader  "The number crunchers at KBB just reported that the estimated average transaction price for a light vehicle in the United States was $40,857 in January 2021. That's an increase of $2,110 compared to January 2020, but is actually slightly down - by $295 - from the prior month."

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/the-average-new-car-price-is-now-over-40000

Old folk comparison in 1968 Dad paid $2896.00 Total for a 1968 Ford Torino GT fast back with all the fixins.

Does that include the semiconductor chips or not? :lol_hitting:

Offline slip knot

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2021, 03:50:39 PM »
I gassed up this morning at $2.59/gallon coming home that same station is at $2.69. Now there are refineries 90 miles south in Corpus and 90miles to the east in Houston. Those pipelines aint that automated.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2021, 04:14:52 PM »
Here in my neck of the woods -- Northern Virginia, the gasoline stations are dropping like flies. You can plot their outages on Gas Buddy hour by hour. We filled all the tanks last week, and today most all the stations in our vicinity have reported "No Gas!". Most stations still have diesel and kerosene, but no gasoline. I feel sorry for the long commuters in my area because in a few days time they will not be able to get to/from work.

Barring a major federal/state fuel transportation and logistics mobilization, I suspect that the east coast will be shut down by this weekend. To make matters worse, people are resorting to hoarding, stealing, and downright street fighting to get their hands on gas. Hope you guys have put away some groceries and frozen food because many supermarket shelves will soon be bare.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2021, 05:09:04 PM »
Better stock up on TP, that's for sure!  :hee20hee20hee:

But seriously: How the heck can people wait in line for 5 hours to get gas? Do they stop and start the entire time, or idle, or physically push the car every time the line moves? Seems to me you'd waste so much gas in 5 hours that it'd be better to stay put.
And two big thumbs up for having stored supplies in case of an emergency. Beans, bacon, and brew.  :great: :great:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 05:12:17 PM by bonneyman »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2021, 05:15:21 PM »
I gassed up this morning at $2.59/gallon coming home that same station is at $2.69. Now there are refineries 90 miles south in Corpus and 90miles to the east in Houston. Those pipelines aint that automated.

It was $3.18 at my nearest station, and they are now dry.

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2021, 08:06:10 PM »
$2.89 in Chillicothe haven't heard of shortages here.

Going back to the year of the last big shortage. Anyone recognize this one?

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2021, 08:21:14 PM »
My wife and I were reminiscing just today about the '73 crisis when we were allowed to get gas on "even" or "odd" days depending on the last digit of our license plate. She recalled queuing up for hours just to fill up her car for the week. Those were the days!!!

GOOD NEWS!!! Just heard on the news that Colonial Pipeline has resumed operations and is expected to resume deliveries on an expedited schedule.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/colonial-pipeline-back-online-energy-secretary-says

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2021, 08:39:26 PM »
I was in High School in 1973 and working at a gas station after school. It was a pain dealing with drivers who thought they were so important that they didn't have to follow the odd and even scheme. It seemed like the owner called every single day at closing time to tell his son and I to change the numbers on the sign and he would change the pump price in the morning. When the price hit 40 cents per gallon we thought it was insane.

Offline john k

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2021, 09:59:47 PM »
I remember driving all over Colorado Springs looking for an open station.  Then when gas went over a dollar everyone realized not a single gas pump in the country could register a price higher than 99cents a gallon.  So for awhile gas prices were 4 cents, the station added the dollar. 

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2021, 10:04:55 PM »
Took nail polish and made a Dollar $1 on our pumps

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2021, 11:33:54 PM »
My wife and I were reminiscing just today about the '73 crisis when we were allowed to get gas on "even" or "odd" days depending on the last digit of our license plate. She recalled queuing up for hours just to fill up her car for the week. Those were the days!!!

They do stuff like that in Colombia, present day.
boop/bop/beep

Offline walrus

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2021, 04:19:59 AM »
1978 made for a ton of work, at that point most gas pumps around here were mechanical and only had 3 wheels on the price, you pumped $9.99 and it rolled over to 0.00. Changed a lot of heads to 4 wheel, then to heads that went 1.99 for pricing, then to 2.99, during Katrina they made kits so you could go to 3.99, now mechanical heads go 6.99  :-\  Digital pumps you can move the decimal place easily.

Pipeline is back up but won't be at full capacity for a few days

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Gasoline shortages?
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2021, 11:11:42 AM »
Just read online that Colonial Pipeline paid 4- to 5 million dollars in cryptocurrency to the hackers to get back control of their systems. I guess crime does pay and we will probably see more infrastructure hacks due to this fiasco.

The bad guys are winning at every turn -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 11:14:42 AM by goodfellow »

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2021, 01:14:48 PM »
Just read online that Colonial Pipeline paid 4- to 5 million dollars in cryptocurrency to the hackers to get back control of their systems. I guess crime does pay and we will probably see more infrastructure hacks due to this fiasco.

Or, the payoff is a Honeypot, and will lead to their arrest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeypot_(computing)

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2021, 05:54:01 PM »
A BP gas station in Richmond VA jacked the price for 87 octane up to $6.999/gal but the signs didn't show that but that was the price at the pump. Under the SOE they will nailed by the state.
Also a Hummer H2 burned up in Florida and the driver had what was described as 20gals of tanks in the back. :o

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2021, 08:11:43 PM »
Electric cars rabid supporters need to realize the electrical grid is an even softer target.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2021, 09:44:22 PM »
Toyota Crown?

Offline john k

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2021, 09:53:07 PM »
Gas prices here in Nebraska have steady at 2.75 for weeks.   This morning two towns over they jumped it up to 2.89.  On the way back gas was still 2.75 and 2.78.   Side note, in 1974 when we were anticpating OPEC  shutting us off again, some bureacrat in D.C. decided gas would be rationed on into the future.   They had several million gas ration coupons printed.  I recall reading gov, plans for distributing them.  When they discovered the coupons, which featured George Washingtons pic,  could be run through an automatic dollar changer for a dollars worth of quarters they were warehoused.  Bet a dollar they are still there.   50 years of storage, guards, and the millions to print them.   
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 10:12:16 PM by john k »

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2021, 10:01:48 PM »
Right country. Wrong company.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2021, 07:52:25 PM »
Mmmmm.