Author Topic: Show your lathes.  (Read 4368 times)

Offline jabberwoki

Show your lathes.
« on: October 27, 2019, 10:53:42 PM »
Post up pics and stories about your lathes.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bmwrd0

Re: Show your lathes.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 10:32:15 PM »

1937 6" Craftsman badged Atlas. Sitting on a Delta stand with a Craftsman top box that was missing the lid. Found the lathe in a scrapyard here for $175 but with nothing to go with it, missing the gear door, etc. Slowly brought it back to life. I hadn't used one since high school 30 years ago, so mostly refreshing myself. I plan to build steam engines with it.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 07:40:36 AM »
I've shown this pic too many times over the years, but since it's a lathe thread it qualifies. I originally purchased this 3in1 machine to make tooling and to work on smaller British sports car heads, and to sleeve worn brake/clutch cylinder and caliper bores with stainless inserts. I wanted a separate lathe and mill, but was living in a townhouse with a one car garage -- so it was a 3in1 type machine or nothing, because there simply wasn't enough room for anything else.

The HF 3in1 is a generic Chinese machine that was sold by many other vendors in various configurations. I lucked out and picked it up at a local store using a 25% coupon along with a Memorial Day sales discount which brought the whole package to around $1000. It does the job, but is a pain to set up and change speeds and feeds. The milling head is barely adequate for simple drilling, but I already had a good commercial 17" drill press, so it was mostly used for very light milling jobs. The lathe portion is quite good for smaller work. It has power feeds, good ways, and usable dials -- controls are easy, and although the tolerances are all over the place, it does produce some good parts if you take your time and get to know the machine.

A true machinist would laugh at these things, and probably curse it when working with it, but after so many years I've become adept at using it. Later on when we moved to our present home, I had a separate machine shop space and added a geared head HF mill/drill to the shop and just relegated the 3in1 for lathe work. It works for my needs, and I've made a lot of tooling and parts with it, but if I had a choice I would definitely get a good quality standalone lathe and knee mill. 

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 10:49:00 AM »
1958 Monarch 10EE. I believe I'm the 4th owner. My friend (3rd owner) had it for 20 yrs. He made a trip from Oregon to Arizona in 1995 to buy it out of a machinery sales flyer. The 2nd owner called himself "The Fanatic" and had owned it for almost 30 yrs. He had inherited a bunch of rare Porsche engines and was meticulously rebuilding and selling them off for income. He sold this lathe because he had found a 10EE x 30" centers that was English/Metric. He also had a govt owned Rivett 1030 with all the tooling ever made, including a new replacement hardened bed section, as was a Rivett feature. My lathe has never done production in its life and only shows .0012" of bed wear. It has the electric leadscrew reverse, full inch indicating cross feed dial, 3 turn cross feed positive stop for rapid threading, and a few other less than standard features. It is a "Works-In-A-Drawer" tube rectifier DC drive that operates on 220V single phase input. The spindle speed is continuously variable 0-3000 rpm with a "backgear" reduction box that is shifted in with one lever movement. This drive is renown for its ability to maintain a set spindle speed regardless of cutting load. It was designed specifically for nuclear work during WWII and the cold war after. The govt basically issued a blank check for monarch to create a machine that would allow the turning of pits under ideal conditions for the cutting tools available at the time.

This is the "big" lathe I have at work. 1950 Monarch series 61 16x78. It's worn and beat up, but still holds .001 easily. A true workhorse and a pleasure to operate.

This is the 3rd lathe I ever owned (and still do). 1964 South Bend 9A x 4 1/2 with a taper attachment. I thought I was in heaven when I found it. I was only 18 at the time and cutting my teeth on old junk lathes I scrounged. I rarely use it now, as I have gotten spoiled by nicer machines. It is still a totally relevant machine in my opinion. There's a reason they were the #1 most sold lathe of all time.

This was the 1st lathe I ever owned. I bought it when I was like 15 (I was an odd child). It is also one of the oldest lathes I've ever seen in person. It had a rise and fall crosslide, a concept from the birth of metal lathes. I believe it dated to 1865. It was a Shepherd lathe built in Cincinnati, Ohio. Whoever came to look at the machine before I bought it had tried to engage the backgears while it was running and stripped them. It was a shame a machine had lived complete that long only to be messed up by an idiot in a second. I never made any gear repairs on it, but learned much of the basic machining knowledge I use today by trial and error on the machine.

This SB 9A just boomaranged back to me. I got it with a bunch of other equipment I bought and had given it to a friend. He just gave it back a couple weeks ago. It will find a new home one of these days.

There were/are many more lathes in my life. I may post more later.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 12:02:08 PM »
Very nice inventory and stories behind that equipment gtermini. Thanks for posting --

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 05:08:33 PM »
Agree, and history also interesting to follow, will be watching the thread. Looking forward to see more of the old iron.

photo 3 .... very nice machine, well maintained, a good example of the kind of used equipment. I would not hesitate to purchase, if looking.

Anytime I went/looked down that path, only saw junk. It's all about location, location.

Thanks
Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 05:14:17 PM »
When I can get to my lathe I will post pictures. I know it is in the front corner behind all the stuff in front of it. ::)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 09:11:39 PM »

1937 6" Craftsman badged Atlas. Sitting on a Delta stand with a Craftsman top box that was missing the lid. Found the lathe in a scrapyard here for $175 but with nothing to go with it, missing the gear door, etc. Slowly brought it back to life. I hadn't used one since high school 30 years ago, so mostly refreshing myself. I plan to build steam engines with it.

I see a kitty kat hanging out in that box!   :D
boop/bop/beep

Offline Rural53

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 02:43:22 AM »
D. Mitchell & Co. Ltd, of Keighley, England arriving at home in the 80's. From memory, it had removable bed section for a 16" swing.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 02:53:26 AM by Rural53 »