Author Topic: Wheel bearing noise.  (Read 3944 times)

Offline muddy

Wheel bearing noise.
« on: October 29, 2021, 09:29:20 AM »
I have a wheel bearing going out in the Oldsmobile.  There is no play in any of the bearings, and I can't get them to makes noise when jacked up. So I'm going by ear.

When traveling and turning left the noise gets louder. According to the old adage,  turn one way and  the noise worsens it's the opposite side. So that would mean that the bad bearing is on the right.

I've also heard that if it does react to steering that it means it is one of the bearings in the front.

Has anyone proved these things to be true? Is there a better way to pinpoint other then buying a bearing and guessing?

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Wheel bearing noise.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 10:05:24 AM »
Is the Olds Front wheel drive?

I did a quick check and it is possible that it is a CV joint and not a wheel bearing. Very common for a worn CV joint to make noise when turning.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 12:28:05 PM by DeadNutz »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 01:09:56 PM »
If it just makes noise while turning it’s a cv joint.

Go find a building you drive close too. Drive slowly down each side with the window down. Much easier to find which corner the noise is coming from. That is your ur old guy tip of the day.

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 11:35:25 PM »
It's not a click or thump it's a constant hum much like tire noise. It sounds exactly like when the rear wheel bearings would go out in the Plymouth. They were taper bearings, and easier to hear the noise when in jack stands.

The noise is there while driving straight, just gets deeper and louder when through a left hand corner.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 11:37:03 PM by muddy »

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 07:11:13 PM »

The noise is there while driving straight, just gets deeper and louder when through a left hand corner.

When you turn left there is weight transfer to the right causing a greater load on that bearing.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 09:49:10 PM »
Replace the r.f. wheel bearing..  usually a CV joint will make a clicking or clacking noise when turning hard.

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 07:05:22 PM »

When you turn left there is weight transfer to the right causing a greater load on that bearing.
Replace the r.f. wheel bearing..  usually a CV joint will make a clicking or clacking noise when turning hard.
Yep, that was my conclusions too.  I'm going to order one up and replace it.

Offline ron350

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 08:21:13 PM »
Which brand of bearing are you going to use?

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 11:19:08 AM »
Rock auto has mevotech as most popular selling. I have been hearing moog is not what it used to be and to avoid them.

Any suggestions?

Offline ron350

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 07:56:45 PM »
 Lets see what other members have to say.

If I were buying from Rock I would go with the Delco Gold or SKF.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 09:04:49 PM »
Rock auto has mevotech as most popular selling. I have been hearing moog is not what it used to be and to avoid them.

Any suggestions?

It's a used older car. The mevotech stuff is middle of the road quality, and should be good enough for a budget friendly fix. On the other hand, Moog products are all over the place in terms of quality these days. Some folks swear by that brand, but I don't see the value anymore.

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 09:36:30 PM »

Lets see what other members have to say.

If I were buying from Rock I would go with the Delco Gold or SKF.

Any suggestions?

It's a used older car. The mevotech stuff is middle of the road quality, and should be good enough for a budget friendly fix. On the other hand, Moog products are all over the place in terms of quality these days. Some folks swear by that brand, but I don't see the value anymore.

The mevotech also comes with a 5 yr warranty.  Delco and SKF are 2 and 3 yr warranties and over double the price.

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2021, 08:48:06 PM »
Well started the job around 330 then had to wait till later because I realized I didn't have anoth vehicle to go get the right size hub socket.

Took a break to make dinner, and run for a socket and some other stuff finished up around 8 tonight. The whole job probably only took an hour it was just a long break in between.

I'm going to go take the dog for a test ride, hope I guessed the right bearing....

Offline muddy

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2021, 07:57:22 PM »
The bearing was definitely bad. The humming noise quieted down and there's no more noise change in turns.

I feel there's still a bad one in the rear. The left rear was on my suspicious list so I'll try that one. It's noisesst at lower speed.