VEHICLES > SPECIAL INTEREST/CLASSIC/COLLECTABLE/EXOTIC CARS

Early Brass Era Car Enthusiast...

<< < (2/2)

oldcarguy:
I also find the early brass era cars fascinating. No two are alike in design and or mechanical designs. Each unique to itself. There were  about 3,000 automobile companies that existed in the USA. Sadly in the early 1900s, the U.S. saw the rise of the Big Three automakers, Ford, GM, and Chrysler. Though many of the no name forgotten companies were responsible for the vast amount of innovations.. Knox build the first fire engine and first to install hydraulic brakes in 1915...

Here is the oldest car that I had a hand in restoring. It's a 1902 Westfield build by CJ Morse Manufacturing Company Also made in Westfield Massachusetts. Only four were sold. No doubt it's the only existing one left today. After a no expense spared restoration to Concour's Quality, actually it was over restored. I had the pleasure taking it to many shows around the USA.

The engine is a vertical 150 cubic inch two cylinder with overhead valves..

john k:
Restored to the N-th degree is right.  Hate to think of the time and dollars are sitting there. The engineering in the pre-1912 cars is fascinating.  My 1919 Chilton Auto Directory lists some 600+ manufacturers in the US.  Some were just a name and a stock swindle.  So much history and dreams.

bonneyman:

--- Quote from: stokester on February 03, 2024, 05:00:36 PM ---Fascinating - I find early automotive technology a very interesting history with many very creative engineers.

One of my favorites is the Knox, with an early air cooled engine that was referred to as the porcupine.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=my7BzvxnaIk

Thanks for sharing all these great vehicles.

--- End quote ---

Interesting!
That porcupine design reminds me of an "innovative" coil design introduced by Trane in the 90's I think called the "spine fin". Rather than have rows of beer-can thin aluminum fins, they utilized a strip of aluminum whiskers that jut out and glued it to the copper tubes. Increased heat transfer area, was more tolerant of dirt and debris, and could survive minor impact damage that would crush the older fins. Really helped sell their heat pumps.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxdmDwcCgxI

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version