Author Topic: Toyota Highlander crash rebuild  (Read 7780 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Toyota Highlander crash rebuild
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 07:52:46 PM »
Finally got to install the inner fender liners -- glad I had ordered those cheap ebay clip kits, because without them those liners would have been a real pain.

While I was installing the liners, my "supervisor" who was visiting for the Memorial Day weekend, mentioned that I better check the brakes because "they didn't look right". Sure enough the pads had worn down to a point where they needed to be replaced. So after a trip to the parts store we have new brakes on this jalopy.

Last two things to do on this job is to install the new airbag (which according to the USPS tracking system should arrive early next week), and to recharge the AC system. It has been holding a vacuum for over a week, and should be OK once the airbag is installed and the car is roadworthy again.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Toyota Highlander crash rebuild
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 07:53:54 PM »
I guess we'll call this one done. The airbag arrived today and after installation, I hooked up the battery and hoped for the best. The seatbelt and airbag codes were gone and no more idiot light. Everything checked out fine. I took the car for a drive around the neighborhood and then on the freeway -- no problems. It tracked well and no funny noises anywhere. The thing drives nice!! That's one of the reasons I decided to keep it.

I did hook up a trickle charger to charge the battery since it hasn't been used in over a month. A night of trickle charging should bring it back to a premium state. The front end and the core support look stock and you can't tell it was ever hit.

Overall it came out nice -- and she'll last another few years. At least until my daughter graduates college next year.

Done!!!

Finally it took an entire week to clean up the garage after this messy job was done.