Author Topic: Setting GM TPMS monitor after tire rotation --  (Read 2179 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Setting GM TPMS monitor after tire rotation --
« on: September 16, 2019, 12:28:45 PM »
Why am I writing this? becuase I just came back from having a FE alignment done on my car and a tire rotation. Getting ready for a long trip and wanted to ensure proper tire wear. Well, it turns out that the "technicians" either forgot, or were incapable of resetting the monitor to accomodate the new tire positions. Glad I checked -- no big deal, but had it been an emergency I would have been "up the creek". I reset the monitor myself usiing a cheap import GM clone TPMS tool.

That effort got me to thinking that there may be a bit of confusion on how to reset the TPMS on GM cars. In fact there are quite a few methods out there using special tools and/or just using your key fob. Depending on the model and year you have, resetting the TPMS monitor can often become frustrating.

In most all cases it's a good idea to drive the car around the block to wake up the tire pressure sensors. They are not always on -- many systems will eventually go into a "sleep" mode after a certain time of inactivity. If that happens, they may not recognize a relearn command. 

1) Basic Key Fob technique -- probably won't work on more modern GM vehicles.
The most basic way for most GM cars from 2000 until 2015-16 is to use the key fob method. Press the key fob "lock" and "unlock" buttons simultaneously for ten seconds and wait for the car to beep. The usual procedure is to start from the driver's side front (usually a headlight or marker light is lit up to indicate which side needs your attention) and deflate the tire to about 10psi or until the horn beeps and then refill air until the desired pressure is reached. Then look around for the next corner where the marker or headlight is glowing, and deflate that tire until the horn beeps -- refill and move on. Continue until all four corners are done and the car horn beeps twice after the last tire is completed.

2) Trip odometer setup -- (only on older cars without key fobs)
Push the trip odometer until it displays "Tire Position Re-Learn" -- or something to that effect. The car horn will beep and you use the same procedure as with the afore mentioned key fob technique.

3) Use a Tire Monitor Reset Tool -- specific to GM
These GM specific tools are less than $20 on Amazon and they will reset most all late model GM systems (there are exceptions with very old TPMS monitor systems in the 1990s)

3a) Use the car's Digital Information Center (DIC) to scroll through the menu until it reads "TPMS" or "Tire" monitor re-learn. Initiate the relearn by pressing the "check" mark button on the DIC controller. Then look at the cars headlights or marker lights and see which one is lit up (usually you start with the driver's side front). Point the GM TPMS tool antenna close to the valve stem and wait for the horn to beep. Then move on to the next corner that has a light on. Same procedure - hold the GM tool close to the valve stem and wait for the beep. After all four corners are done, the horn will beep twice to acknowledge that the system has been reset.

3b) Use the key fob method to start the procedure. Press the "lock" and "unlock" buttons for a 10 seconds and wait for the horn to beep, then use the GM TPMS tool and move from corner to corner in the same manner as described in the previous DIC (3a) scenario. The car's lights will guide you to the proper corner to ensure a correct reset sequence. When successfully completed, the horn will beep twice. 

3c) Put the key in the ignition and turn to accessory position. Then push the "lock" and "unlock" button on the key fob simultaneously for 10 seconds until the car beeps. Then move from corner to corner in the same manner as described in the DIC (3a) scenario. The car's lights will guide you to the proper corner to ensure a correct sequence. When successfully completed, the horn will beep twice. 

Problems!! If one of the sensors fails to activate with either the GM tool or by deflating the tire to 10psi, the sensor may not be awake or the battery may be shot. You may also have a faulty sensor -- remember there are usually cheap Chinese electronics in GM cars. Best scenario, drive the car for a few miles and then repeat the process. A second option is to slightly wiggle the valve stem to jar the tiny IC that is in the TPMS sensor body. Other than that -- you may have to replace it.

Good luck!!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 04:26:19 PM by goodfellow »