Author Topic: Got a truck today  (Read 7895 times)

Offline m_fumich

Got a truck today
« on: September 26, 2019, 06:55:43 PM »
I mentioned this truck in another thread about towing a truck on a tow dolly. I got this truck as payment for replacing the clutch master cylinder on an ‘88 Nissan 4x4 truck.

This truck is a ‘93 Ford F-150 Supercab with a long bed. No frills. Cloth bench seat, no CD or even a cassette player. No power anything. But it’s in good shape. There’s one area of rust shown in the pictures, a light crease in the door, and the bumper is tweaked. Tool box in the bed was included. It has the 5.8L engine.

There’s a trailer ball on the bumper. What’s the limit on pulling a load using a ball on the bumper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jamesyarbrough

Re: Got a truck today
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 08:29:16 PM »
Thats a pretty darn good deal and it will make an excellent work truck

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 08:46:40 PM »
Thats a pretty darn good deal and it will make an excellent work truck

I doubt I’ll average 50 miles per week on it. When I leave the house, I get as many supplies as I can to eliminate repeat trips. I have 6 five gallon gas cans so I don’t have to run to the truck stop every time I need gas for the mower. My wife hates having the gas can in her car for the 20 min round trip because of the smell. I don’t often have a need to leave our 6+ acres in the middle of nowhere. But when I need fencing material, lumber to repair the barn, a load of straw, or to haul off garbage, it’s nice to have a truck to help with those tasks instead of a Toyota Prius or a Subaru Outback.

Oh, I noticed the truck has dual fuel tanks. Anyone know what capacity they might be?

Offline john k

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 08:52:52 PM »
The towing capacity of that aftermarket bumper is stamped near the hitch ball.  Looks like a decent usable truck..

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 05:26:09 AM »
Fuel tanks are about 18 gal each IIRC.   Bought one of those trucks new , Regular cab,  5.0.  Really liked the truck. 

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 05:35:14 AM »
Fuel tanks are about 18 gal each IIRC.   Bought one of those trucks new , Regular cab,  5.0.  Really liked the truck.

Thanks Phil. I ask here first because someone here might know off the top of their head, like you did. But I did follow with a web search. I did find multiple answers but the one I suspect is correct is that the forward rank should be 16.5 gallons and the rear tank should be 18.2 gallons. That was from an F-150 forum and not directly from Ford. I’ll be calling the Ford dealer today to confirm.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 07:38:06 AM »
I did have a problem with the rear tank.  IIRC, when I switched from front to rear, the return fuel kept pumping into the front tank.  Never got it fixed, just used the front tank.

Surprised the bed by the fender wells isn't rotted out, very common here for those.  Know of a body shop that specializes in those trucks and keeps patch panels in stock.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 07:44:55 AM »
We don’t use much salt on the roads here. We get very little snow. That helps when it comes to rust.

I’d appreciate any source info on a patch panel for that rusted spot. It’s between the door and the cab corner on the driver’s side.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 08:04:24 AM »
I did have a problem with the rear tank.  IIRC, when I switched from front to rear, the return fuel kept pumping into the front tank.  Never got it fixed, just used the front tank.

20+ years ago I worked at Autozone and a lady described a problem with her truck where she knew she had gas in both tanks then came out one morning to find one tank empty and the other overflowing. I would assume her problem and yours were caused by the fuel tank selector valve.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 12:26:28 PM »
I checked with the dealer concerning the fuel tanks. Based on the 155” wheel base, the front tank should be 19 gal and the rear should be 18 gal. I don’t know that I want to spend that much money to fill both tanks. I haven’t paid that much to fill up since I drove an 18 wheeler.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 06:12:03 PM »
LMC trucks is my go to for aftermarket truck parts. they will probably have your patch panels. I would suggest figuring out which tank it is currently running off of and stick with it. Nothing quite as fun as running out of gas with a full tank. BTDT.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 06:14:09 PM »
I’ll check them out.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 08:15:53 PM »
LMC Trucks is a great source for parts. I’ll be glad when I get my desktop set back up and I won’t have to view everything on my phone.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 11:17:05 PM »
Be real careful when changing spark plugs. If I remember right, those can strip out easy.

Good deal in any case.

Offline muddy

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 11:21:52 PM »
Be real careful when changing spark plugs. If I remember right, those can strip out easy.

Good deal in any case.
Believe your thinking of the newer Triton engines.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman