Author Topic: Check your gas caps, gents!  (Read 3792 times)

Offline bonneyman

Check your gas caps, gents!
« on: October 12, 2019, 03:32:56 PM »
Just got the van back from the mechanic, had a gas smell coming in thru the air vents once or twice - then outside the drivers door. I pulled the console and doghouse and pass chair out to save them time (and me money) as he said it could be the fuel injection module. Then the service engine light came on for three days before going off. he was able to retrieve the info - back gas cap.

I said I got nailed 2 years ago at emissions with a bad cap and replaced it to pass - then went back to the original cap for six months before it cracked. Slapped on the "new" cap that I had kept sitting in a box. Now it's bad???? After 18 months? What, are they making these things out of old drinking straws or what? Guess I'll get another new cap and keep it handy - if I smell gas or get an engine light I can put on the new cap and see if that fixes it. And save the $101 and change!

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
Re: Check your gas caps, gents!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 03:36:56 PM »
What is this gas cap you speak of?
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 07:07:55 PM »
What is this gas cap you speak of?

The gas caps on your cars. Apparently they go bad over time.

The cap that came with my 04 van got stuck open once - guess enough fuel vapors and dirt clogged it up and prevented the little spring loaded valve from closing. A soak in Marvel Mystery Oil fixed it. But I've gone through 3 or 4 cheapie auto store caps the last few years.  :-[

Offline ken w.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 07:39:55 PM »
You might also want to apply some silicone grease to your gas cap gasket so it seals better. I've seen dry gaskets set off a code.

Offline wilbilt

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 04:08:44 PM »
You might also want to apply some silicone grease to your gas cap gasket so it seals better. I've seen dry gaskets set off a code.

Gas caps and EVAC purge valves can get stuck closed, too.

My buddy was up here picking up an '83 S-15 pickup I had given to him.

It kept conking out due to lack of fuel. We determined there was a vacuum building up in the tank, overpowering the fuel pump's ability to provide fuel. I told him we could diagnose it and fix the problem.

He opted to simply drill a 1/8" hole in the gas cap and called it good.

:shrug:

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 06:25:40 PM »
At the Chevy shop if someone came in with an aftermarket gas cap and an EVAP code we immediately installed an OEM cap and did a vacuum check.

I frequently found vent valves bad because of insects and debris.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 07:16:38 PM »
At the Chevy shop if someone came in with an aftermarket gas cap and an EVAP code we immediately installed an OEM cap and did a vacuum check.

I frequently found vent valves bad because of insects and debris.

Since they put the new cap on I've had not service light and no gas odor. But their cap is non-locking - and I want a locking cap. Not so much to prevent thieves taking gas out - but some malicious person pouring something noxious in! Can't afford a blown engine due to a prankster. I know the dealer will probably be $$$ for a locking cap but will probably head down there.