Author Topic: Who EDC's a knife -  (Read 31603 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Who EDC's a knife -
« on: August 12, 2018, 11:25:24 AM »
Not necessarily for self defense, but just as a matter of habit and custom. I've carried a Stockman style pocket knife (mostly Imperial, Old Henry and/or Old Timer) for almost my entire life. I never leave home without it, and it has "saved my bacon" in numerous ways over the years. For decades I've also kept a Leatherman Wave in my briefcase for the odd repair and/or plier needs, but the pocket knife is always on my person.

It's a habit inherited from my dad and grandfather's time and was solidly ingrained by the Boy Scouts back in my day -- "Be Prepared!" In fact many of the boys I went to grade school with (and later High School years) carried a pocket knife. How times have changed!! Current carry is an Imperial and Old Timer.

When hunting season starts I have two knives in the truck and pack. A Buck fixed blade for general cutting and an Old Timer Sharpfinger used only for skinning. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:29:14 AM by goodfellow »

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: Who EDC's a knife -
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 12:06:26 PM »
Every single day. I haven't found much a utility knife won't do, and I love being able to flip for a sharp blade.

Greyson

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 12:27:17 PM »
I carry a 3 blade stockman like Goodfellow. I used to carry one roughly 3" in length until one day seeing a Case 3 blade stockman of 4" that I instantly fell in love with the overall size. A handfull of stockman to be sure. I was gifted one by the family shortly after and have carried it daily ever since.

Mine is in link: https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CA204/Case-Amber-Bone-Large-Stockman-Chrome-Vanadium-4-14-inch-Closed-6375-CV
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline walrus

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 04:16:36 PM »
I carry a swiss army knife. Its in sad shape but its habit. I have other knives but I always come back to the Swiss Army knife. The big blade won't move without fighting with it so little blade it is. I like the Philips head driver and other stuff on it. I was carrying a single blade Milwaukee, its a nice knife but lacks the other stuff I use when working

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
I'm weird I've carried one of these for years.
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 05:57:58 PM »
I have  a Schrade  in my pocket and a blacksmith made knife in a sheath on my belt.

File Knife 005 by Noel Hankamer, on Flickr
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 09:13:50 PM »
I carry a Camillus min trapper on my belt. I've carried this knife everyday for the past 20+ yrs. The handle that sticks out of the pouch is starting to deteriorate from too much sunlight. the rest of the knife still looks pretty good.

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 11:36:44 PM »
I'm weird I've carried one of these for years.

That was mine too, but I don’t carry it anymore.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 12:30:50 AM »
Been carrying a cutting knife of some kind and a SAK since I was a kid. Then 20 years ago I started "experimenting" with multitools and modern folders and settled on the current EDC about 15 years back.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 12:48:47 PM »
Lost every knife I have ever tried to carry daily so I don't carry one.  That said, I almost always have one of my trucks that have knives and tools in them.

I do always carry my Streamlite stylus pro except to church and it gets used often

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 02:31:48 PM »
Lost SOLD every knife I have ever tried to carry daily so I don't carry one.

Fixed that for you.

Greyson

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 04:16:22 PM »
All the way through school I carried a folder. Then I started carrying a Buck on the belt. I had to get out of the habit of carrying a knife when I started flying and ferrying aircraft around the country as I spent a lot of time riding commercial. Whenever I drove the horse I carried a sharp knife in case of a wreck and needing to cut harness or lines. Now I carry a S&W folder sometimes but carry the S&W 9mm every time I leave the property.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 08:02:47 AM »
Lost SOLD every knife I have ever tried to carry daily so I don't carry one.

Fixed that for you.

Greyson

Haha, I wish that was true.  That can truthfully be said for other things I have though ;)

Offline BuckHenry

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 07:43:29 PM »
Lost every knife I have ever tried to carry daily so I don't carry one. 

I can't keep one either. I've lost some really nice knives from Case, Buck, and Kershaw along with a bunch of cheaper ones. More recently I've started buying $4.00 Ozark Trail pocket knives from walmart. They are cheapos, but I always loose them before they go dull or fall apart. I need to pick up another one this weekend.

I keep a utility knife in my pocket when working.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 08:08:02 PM »
Always.
This week it's this in addition to the leatherman that's always on my belt, but I don't carry it as a knife.

A Grohmann mini Russell, a BSA Case 6208, and a Vic classic. ( I've got 3 because I gotta have the toothpick and tweezers )
I have a rotation of 20 or so mostly traditional users and choose something to carry each week.
I used to just carry one particular knife, but I hadn't experienced enough knives yet and I like variety anyways.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:11:52 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn