Author Topic: Back To Work....  (Read 8313 times)

Offline Conductor562

Back To Work....
« on: February 19, 2019, 10:49:38 PM »
With Conductor Jr.’s health situation, spending any time at all in the shop has been next to impossible. Having some down time between chemo cycles, today I was able to fire up the saws and do something constructive for the first time in months. The place isn’t really in working shape. It’s littered with boxes awaiting their return to the attic after Christmas, but I wasn’t about to waste my day cleaning it up only fill it back up with dust.

As always, Mrs. Conductor pretty much dictates order of necessity. She’s been on my ass forever to build her a new fireplace mantel. When I redid the base and crown I did it much darker than what was in the house originally. Naturally, they don’t match. To be honest, I was never crazy about it either, but someone put some time into it and took care to use some symbology, so I could appreciate it for that reason if for no other.

I’ve never built a mantel before, and didn’t really have a specific style in mind. I pretty much just looked over the one that was there, googled for an idea, and “wung it”.

Tomorrow after the glue is good and dry, I’ll sand it and get it ready to finish, but I like it so far.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Back To Work....
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 06:58:26 AM »
Lookin' good Travis -- well done!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 04:22:54 PM »
Yep, looks good. nice tight joints... at least on this end. ;D

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 04:25:11 PM »
Looks good. Me and woodworking just don't get along.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 07:10:23 PM »
Wow that's really nice.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 07:13:17 PM »
Nice.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 09:27:17 PM »
Look great Travis!
Looks good. Me and woodworking just don't get along.
Same here, but some reason I still enjoy doing it lol.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 09:31:12 PM »
Got another little project put together today. I ain’t gonna tell what it is until it’s finished  :-X

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 09:56:38 PM »
First thing on my to do was to get a new insert for the shower in the master bathroom. Mrs. Conductor got involved, one thing led to another, next thing you know we’re taking out the shower, and a wall, and the old tile. Decided she wants a tile shower big enough to turn around in.  :(

She found some tile on clearance for under $1.00 sq/ft and all the sudden my schedule for the next week or so got a lot shittier. I did get a little nicer tile saw out of the deal. I rufused to even attempt to do 18”x18” with my little Ridgid project saw.

As bad as I hate laying tile, it is nice to feel good enough to get to work instead of feeling like the sky is falling on you.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 10:53:22 PM »
Nothing beats a bath rehab for project creep.... While your there you might as well.....

I once spent $7K on a toilet replacement. :(

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 01:55:49 PM »
Got a little bit accomplished today. Weather didn’t cooperate, so I get another big mess to clean, but that’s how it goes I guess.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 12:42:35 AM »
Looking good, Gribble!
boop/bop/beep

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 11:17:39 PM »
Still gotta replace the trim and place the mystery piece this weekend, but the mantle is up. When it’s all done I think it will be a big improvement.

In other news, we managed to get Conductor Jr’s AR finished up today. He used his own money for every dollar that went into his gun. He picked out the gun, the furniture, everything. It’s literally a little boys dream come to fruition. It’s not a high end AR, but it’s a solid shooter and pretty tastefully done for a 10 year old IMO.

I also picked up the final components for my tiled shower. My father In-law convinced me to use Kerdi-Board by Schluter Systems. I had no idea it was $110 a sheet. For the backer board, floor pan/drain kit, 4 bags of thin set, and the corner seat block was just over $1100. I only took $700 cash and about had a stroke when they handed me the invoice. I guess there’s something to be said for doing shit right and using the best materials, but I really didn’t expect it to be THAT much. All I have left to buy is a new toilet and I’m only about $1500 over what I expected, so I guess it could be worse.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 09:31:48 AM »
only $1500 over budget. your doing pretty good.  ;D  nice looking tile too. I'm liking the large tile the more I use them.

Jr's AR turned out pretty sweet.

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 05:18:05 PM »
Finished up the mystery project today. Probably should have waited until I was ready to put the trim up, but what the hell.