Author Topic: Found an old Williams ratchet  (Read 3763 times)

Offline bonneyman

Found an old Williams ratchet
« on: December 03, 2019, 02:05:20 PM »
Been looking for a 3/8"er to go with the 1/2"er I have (that one is still in the repair stage), and I gotta say it's a fine and light action. Employs a dual see-saw pawl that effectively doubles the head tooth count (from 41 to 82). (Bonney did the same thing with their -xxxK ratchets intro'd in the 60's). The grease had hardened to an almost hard plastic consistency - solvent alone barely touched it. So, it was time for the dental pick and JAFE juice for a day! Everything cleaned up nice - if it weren't for the handle having finish wear and a few grind marks I'd sell this puppy for some good $$$.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 02:07:27 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Found an old Williams ratchet
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 03:12:42 PM »
Nice. These are quite nice ratchets - really good users. Good catch.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 03:59:07 PM »
You don't see many of these Williams ratchets these days.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 04:26:00 PM »
It's another of those accidental encounters that then becomes a "mission".
I have all the ratchets I need (  :-\ yeah, yeah, I know - here come all the bricks! lol) but occasionally I'll get one that just really impresses me. Like the old old Herbrand pearheads. I got a 1/2"er, and after cleaning and lubing it just works so slick you end up starting to use it more and more. Then you have to find the others. Finally found a 3/8" - it turned out as great as I'd hoped.
Same with this style of Williams. I have a 1/2" er that I'm trying to get to work, figured it'd be a bulldog of a tool. Maybe I should get a 3/8". Now I have one. It is also a sweet little ratchet.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 06:10:42 PM »
B-man, I can promise that you will not be disappointed in the little Williams. Its been one of my favorites for years. I may have 1 or 2 around here that get regular usage ;D

I don't recall ever seeing a rebuild kit for one so getting that S51 back operational may take finding a donor.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 06:21:22 PM »
B-man, I can promise that you will not be disappointed in the little Williams. Its been one of my favorites for years. I may have 1 or 2 around here that get regular usage ;D

I don't recall ever seeing a rebuild kit for one so getting that S51 back operational may take finding a donor.

I'll take that challenge! I'm gonna attempt to drill out the selector rod so I can get the spring and two pawls actuators out, then fashion a new selector and attempt to get the thumb knob to approximate the OEM. I've built a ratchet from a bare handle before, so, I'm all in on this repair.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 08:23:32 PM »
Ol slipper sent me one of those and they`re a bloody great rat, nice score.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 08:49:11 PM »
Ol slipper sent me one of those and they`re a bloody great rat, nice score.

I need to thin my herd of ratchets, but I think I'll be holding on to this Williams. Cost me all of $2.00.  ;D

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 09:27:58 PM »

I'll take that challenge! I'm gonna attempt to drill out the selector rod so I can get the spring and two pawls actuators out, then fashion a new selector and attempt to get the thumb knob to approximate the OEM. I've built a ratchet from a bare handle before, so, I'm all in on this repair.

You don't need to drill anything to get them apart. I did a writeup on it a long long time ago. No doubt photobucket has trashed he pix or made them unusable but I may still have them and a copy of the thread still exists over at GJ somewhere. Get the core out hold the assembly in a vise or something and turn the selector between directions. Looking between the pawls you will be able to see a ball bearing that holds the selector. Depress that and the pawl will release and the assembly will come apart from there. Use caution as there are several very small springs and assorted bits eager to return to the wild. I am not home so can not check my old photos but I'll have access around Christmas or right after the 1st of the year.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 08:11:02 AM »

You don't need to drill anything to get them apart. I did a writeup on it a long long time ago. No doubt photobucket has trashed he pix or made them unusable but I may still have them and a copy of the thread still exists over at GJ somewhere. Get the core out hold the assembly in a vise or something and turn the selector between directions. Looking between the pawls you will be able to see a ball bearing that holds the selector. Depress that and the pawl will release and the assembly will come apart from there. Use caution as there are several very small springs and assorted bits eager to return to the wild. I am not home so can not check my old photos but I'll have access around Christmas or right after the 1st of the year.

The selector knob is snapped off - all that remains is the bearing shaft inside the core. I will try and depress the spring while pulling on the shaft with a small needlenose. Hopefully that will work.