Author Topic: Vintage Rail Fans... Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 on the move  (Read 3883 times)

Offline AnsonJ

Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 is moving under its own power for the first time in almost 60 years!

Only 25 of these were ever made, only 8 are left and this is the only one that runs.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-the-biggest-steam-engine-in-the-world-going-on-a-1834509725
https://jalopnik.com/people-are-very-excited-about-this-big-boys-whistle-1834476351

I would love to see this moving in person. I did get to see one over 20 years ago as a static display in Green Bay WI railway museum. it is something to see just sitting there let alone moving.

AJ
"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Vintage Rail Fans... Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 on the move
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 06:56:20 AM »
Truly amazing piece of machinery. I'd spend a few $$ on a vacation to go see it in person.

Offline highland512

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 07:38:45 AM »
I have been following the engines resto for awhile now. Very interesting project.

Also the UP needs recognition for spending the $$ on something like this so people can see how far we have come.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 10:46:39 AM »
Wow!

I guess it's safe to assume any needed parts are not "off the shelf" and need to be hand-made.

Offline eborcim

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 02:40:27 PM »
Wow!

I guess it's safe to assume any needed parts are not "off the shelf" and need to be hand-made.

Wonder if any of the original wood patterns for castings were available?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 05:29:44 PM »
Wow!

Wonder if any of the original wood patterns for castings were available?

I think it was designed by UP and built by ALCO. Much of that ALCO tooling and machinery was probably scrapped in the 60's when they went out of business.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 06:21:27 PM by goodfellow »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 05:42:44 PM »
I used to visit that Big Boy engine every time I went to the L.A. County Fair. The thing is huge and it was quite feat to move it to a mainline.

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 07:53:39 AM »
Well this engine came out of a California rail museum, Pomona I think. I dont know my California geography very well but maybe this is the one you seen 

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 12:53:33 AM »
The last generation of steam engines were monsters. On the C&O we had the Mallet H8 “Allegheny” engines that were comparable to the big boy engines (actually had a little more power). I actually knew the last qualified steam Engineer on the C&O. He had some great stories.

The diesels brought radical changes to the RR as technology always does. Many small terminals that the steam engines necessitated as coal and water stations were obsolete almost over night. All along the C&O there are still remnants of coaling and water towers in the middle of nowhere. Hardly a qualified man alive remembers their operational life, but the skeletons remain if you know where to look.

https://www.steamlocomotive.com/locobase.php?country=USA&wheel=2-6-6-6