Author Topic: Truck tires: Sheesh!  (Read 9089 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Truck tires: Sheesh!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 09:26:51 PM »
That was a work van then. Nice it was setup when you got it - those shelves, ladder racks and dividers cost stupid money.

LKQ Pick a Part here wants 16 and some change for a 16" or larger steel wheel plus a dollar core charge.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 09:50:41 PM »
Will a full size spare even fit the space?

reason I ask was many years back a sweet young lady asked me to acquire a full size spare for her ride. A stop at the junk yard and I'm set. I'm all prepared for my just rewards of helping this sweet young lady out and the sumbitch wont fit in the space allocated in the trunk. Things just went south from there. needless to say there was no just rewards for me >:(

And that damned spare wound up going in the burn pile a few years ago.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 09:53:20 PM »
Will a full size spare even fit the space?

reason I ask was many years back a sweet young lady asked me to acquire a full size spare for her ride. A stop at the junk yard and I'm set. I'm all prepared for my just rewards of helping this sweet young lady out and the sumbitch wont fit in the space allocated in the trunk. Things just went south from there. needless to say there was no just rewards for me >:(

And that damned spare wound up going in the burn pile a few years ago.

I'm going to the shop tomorrow to have them installed 3 tires. While it's up on the rack I'll have them measure the space and make sure the real tire will fit.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 09:54:20 PM »
That was a work van then. Nice it was setup when you got it - those shelves, ladder racks and dividers cost stupid money.

LKQ Pick a Part here wants 16 and some change for a 16" or larger steel wheel plus a dollar core charge.

Yep, all I had to do was stock it with parts and load my tools. Even had a commercial plate!  ;)

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 10:41:42 PM »
Make space to place a real tire even if on a back door rack.

In my pacers it was behind the drivers seat or tossed in the back.  Getting caught without driving old junk was stupid.  Those things ate front tires up.  I didn't care it rattled around or ate up space.

Offline eborcim

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 09:33:16 AM »
I usually just watch for a sale on truck tires.  E series on my 3/4 ton truck work okay, just have them delivered and then take to a shop for mount/balance ~$20/tire.  I don't put a lot of miles on the truck so the tires last a while.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2018, 04:57:30 PM »
Well, finally got the van fixed up. three new tires, along with 1 tire that's in great condition but only 2 years old. And the station found me a used rim, and installed the best of the replaced tires as my under side spare. Now I have a real spare tire! Tech said the donut that was under there was so bad it would've blown the second I tried driving on it.

And....he installed the "new" spare tire with the valve pointing down so the pressure can be checked when I come in for service and they perform a tire inspection! Dang, a young guy who's forward thinking!  8)

Offline TWX

• What's wrong with being sexy?
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2018, 10:48:59 PM »
And....he installed the "new" spare tire with the valve pointing down so the pressure can be checked when I come in for service and they perform a tire inspection! Dang, a young guy who's forward thinking!  8)

Over on another forum I'm on there was a pretty heated debate on doing that on pickup trucks.  I've always installed the spare valve-side down, some were trying to argue I was opening myself up to damaging it when going off road.  Given how much sidewall and rim-lip sticks out well past the valve stem though, seems like I'd have a gouged-out sidewall and a bent or gouged rim long before I ripped the valvestem off.

Another guy tried to argue about rust and the mechanism to lower the wheel, namely that without lowering it to check it, that the mechanism would rust and break when trying to get the wheel out.  My counter was that if I have to lower it to check tire pressure, then I won't be checking tire pressure, and neither will anyone else.  Given that I bought my truck used from a mainstream dealer (sells new Subarus) and they put four new tires on and changed most of the fluids and aligned it before selling it, and it was still clear that even they didn't lower the spare (it had rocks sitting on the rubber thing on top and the tire had left marks on the crossmembers that aligned with how it was when I lowered it) I can't expect anyone else to lower it to check either.  A pressurized spare that has to be gotten out by breaking the lowering mechanism is preferable to a deflated spare that has to be gotten out by breaking the lowering mechanism.