Author Topic: Tough old German blokes making mill stones.  (Read 2235 times)

Offline jabberwoki

Tough old German blokes making mill stones.
« on: December 21, 2019, 02:39:01 PM »

There`s 2 vids, cannot imagine a millennial doing this.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 04:13:06 PM by jabberwoki »
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Tough old German blokes making mi9ll stones.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 04:11:50 PM »
Can you imagine how tough those guys were -- and the strength in their hands and arms? Shaking the calloused hands of one of these gents must have been akin to getting squeezed by a vise.

My great-grandfather was a stone mason in a quarry -- all manual labor and the stone dust killed many of those guys before they turned 60
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 04:14:17 PM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

Re: Tough old German blokes making mill stones.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 08:01:37 PM »
Very cool! As I grew up with Pa Dutch (a slang or bastardized version of German) I understood bits and pieces.

As a millennial I'd definitely give it a shot. We're not all pussys.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 09:07:40 AM »
Here is the tool in my collection that they are using to finish the surface of the large stone.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 10:30:58 AM »
A correction to the title. These old gents aren't quarrying mill stones; they're braking and forming sharpening stones for local use and for heavy industry. I saw the entire series and from what I can gather, the town was a major producer of grinding stones at one time in its history. At the time the film was made in 1971 the quarry was the last one to operate in that area, and the industrial historical society documented the process for posterity. Modern industrial cutting and abrasive technology put these guys out of work decades ago.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 10:32:40 AM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 11:08:10 AM »
A correction to the title. These old gents aren't quarrying mill stones; they're braking and forming sharpening stones for local use and for heavy industry. I saw the entire series and from what I can gather, the town was a major producer of grinding stones at one time in its history. At the time the film was made in 1971 the quarry was the last one to operate in that area, and the industrial historical society documented the process for posterity. Modern industrial cutting and abrasive technology put these guys out of work decades ago.
Makes sense since schleif means grind

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline highland512

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 08:18:16 AM »

One of my great grandfaters was quarry man his whole life after the navy. Southern Indiana is home to the worlds highest quality Limestone, almost all of Washington D.C. is built from limestone carved out from the Bloomington/Bedford Indiana area. Once out of the Navy (and still during the depression) he started in the quarry as a laborer with a hammer and when he retired he was a foreman. I was young when he passed but dad always said he could do anything with a cold chisels, maul, and a piece of stone.