Author Topic: Leather Work Gloves  (Read 2468 times)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Leather Work Gloves
« on: July 17, 2020, 04:29:06 PM »
I've been cutting, splitting and stacking firewood for the last couple of weeks.  My neighbor had all the trees removed from the front of his house and I asked for the oak to be moved to my front yard for firewood.  While I found there was significant rot in a couple of the trunks I ended up with at least two cords of good firewood.  I highly recommend this timberjack! -> https://woodchucktool.com/timberpro

What I have yet to find is a source for some good, long-lasting leather gloves.  I've gone through two pairs in just the last two weeks with the last ones being the "heavy duty" ones at Tractor Supply which now have a hole worn in the index finger.  :41:

So who has found a good source for durable leather work gloves?

Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: Leather Work Gloves
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 08:05:50 PM »
 I buy either these Wells Lamont https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004R9RZ/ref=twister_B07P6N3B58?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 (I cut the little cinch string thing off) or these Tillman https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Drivers-Gloves-Cowhide-XL/dp/B00439EYJMg/ref=psdc_553608_t2_B00439755W. I always seem to have the stitching thread in the index finger come out with all gloves I get. I'm not sure there is a perfect leather glove anymore.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 08:41:55 PM »
I've been cutting, splitting and stacking firewood for the last couple of weeks.  My neighbor had all the trees removed from the front of his house and I asked for the oak to be moved to my front yard for firewood.  While I found there was significant rot in a couple of the trunks I ended up with at least two cords of good firewood.  I highly recommend this timberjack! -> https://woodchucktool.com/timberpro

What I have yet to find is a source for some good, long-lasting leather gloves.  I've gone through two pairs in just the last two weeks with the last ones being the "heavy duty" ones at Tractor Supply which now have a hole worn in the index finger.  :41:

So who has found a good source for durable leather work gloves?
I use USGI cattlehide gloves, many sources but I buy 'em from sportsmans guide.
I have had good luck with them ( no clue how heavily I'm using them compared to you ), but I do condition them with neatsfoot oil once in a while.

I think I bought these sometime towards the end of last year.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:47:03 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 08:45:19 AM »
I'm a Tillman guy. Mostly because a former employer handed them out for use on the job so I took a new pair when ever offered and have a pair or three. As with any these don't last for ever and most of the time for me the thumb crotch and seam splits out. Might be due to the size of my hands but the xl seems to fit the best without binding or being too big.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tillman-1420-Grade-A-Top-Grain-Cowhide-Drivers-Gloves-X-Large/333569325493?epid=1501198954&hash=item4daa47f9b5:g:cd0AAOSwDFFei1OG
Rich

Offline highland512

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 08:05:07 AM »
Like others have suggested, the Tillman drivers gloves work the best for me. They are not hard as rock when new and last me a long time. I buy them by the sleeve about once a year. Any decent welding supply shop will have them in stock or buy them online. 
https://www.amazon.com/Tillman-1414L-Unlined-Cowhide-Leather/dp/B07528LZ7K/ref=psdc_553608_t3_B00439EWF8

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 06:42:18 PM »
I remember those GI gloves when I worked in tactical communications, they wore like iron and felt like it for a week or two.

Those Tillmans look like good ones, do they run true to size?  I've needed L or XL depending on the glove.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 06:53:39 PM »
I have the L sized Tillmans, and bought 2 pairs as gifts for the brothers when someone mis-priced them on Amazon at a stupid low price.

The L is a bit snug (not tight) with this sizing. Could loosen up over time. Your results may vary.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2020, 08:32:23 PM »
I remember those GI gloves when I worked in tactical communications, they wore like iron and felt like it for a week or two.

Those Tillmans look like good ones, do they run true to size?  I've needed L or XL depending on the glove.
They sure do last, but you definitely gotta break them in.
I probably wouldn't choose them if I had to wear them for extended periods of time, but wearing them for use in the garage or anothe yard a guy could get a few years out of them.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 10:13:48 AM »
I pretty much use the leather palm gloves but I haven't bought any in years as new ones seem to follow me home. I got a good stock of short cuff ones when I bought the contents of a shop. I got a good supply cleaning out my sister's barn as I got sealed bags of them. The wife also brings plenty home when she orders samples from the vendors before she buys large quantities for the shop. I get the gauntlet style cuffs that way. Some last until they get stiff and no holes in them. With some the leather is such crap that a hole can develop in the index finger or thumb in a couple hours or a day of use.

I wear insulated leather gloves during the winter when splitting wood and working outside. I have several brands including Wells Lamont but my favorite are a pair of Carhartt that aren't leather but have a grip palm that works great when swinging an axe.

Offline highland512

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 07:27:50 AM »

I dont know whats what any more on glove sizing. Best is to try some on, I seem to be in between L and XL on Tilmans but Mechanix im XL or even XXL.
I usually get the L Tilmans, if they are snug I soak them in water and wear them until the dry out and they fit like a............. sock.