Author Topic: Arizona transplants?  (Read 1639 times)

Offline nonhog

Arizona transplants?
« on: July 31, 2020, 01:23:53 PM »
Anyone else on here move to Arizona from somewhere else? Loving the heat but not loving the price of classic cars.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Arizona transplants?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 04:52:38 PM »
Arizona and the southwest is an area I'd strongly consider moving to if I was looking to move.

To be honest, I've noticed the prices on classic cars are absolutely ridiculous lately.  I see piles of shit that don't necessarily even run advertised for $7-15K, and cars that are pretty nice but not show cars by any stretch for 20-30K.

I thought I could find a nice driver for 8-12K but that is increasingly hard to find.
boop/bop/beep

Offline nonhog

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 05:12:14 PM »
Arizona and the southwest is an area I'd strongly consider moving to if I was looking to move.

To be honest, I've noticed the prices on classic cars are absolutely ridiculous lately.  I see piles of shit that don't necessarily even run advertised for $7-15K, and cars that are pretty nice but not show cars by any stretch for 20-30K.

I thought I could find a nice driver for 8-12K but that is increasingly hard to find.

True, but down here its worse. 5-10K more and that's trying to be apples to apples. Garage kept and/or nicely restored cars is what I am looking at. The whole rust free thing down here may be true (mostly) but the interiors are garbage on any project car. Not sure which is worse. Patched plenty of small rust holes in my day. N/W isn't like the Great Lakes or East Coast. I scan Ca. Seattle/Portland. Salt Lake City and El Paso. Tucson is higher than all of them, from what I can tell. Ah well, love it here. I will maybe end up finding something back in Tacoma and shipping it back or better yet, ROAD TRIP!   
113 right now- but its a dry heat. LOL   

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 05:50:16 PM »
Once you start patching rust it never stops. It's about like playing Whack a Mole. Paying a premium for a desert SW local car that hasn't started rusting is a no brainer IMO. Just make damn sure it is a local it's whole life rust free car and not something a transplant brought with them.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 06:56:10 PM »
The USAF brought me to Tucson in 1981 and I just stayed after that. Getting into HVAC was kinda a no-brainer around here.

Gas seems to be cheaper here but many other items are more expensive. I can tell you pickins around town have gotten really thin - and the COVID mess ain't helping on that score. Alot of mom-and-pop businesses are closing, and pawn shops are almost bare. It's getting to be like it was in the late 80's: if you want anything other than the "flavor of the month" you gotta go to Phoenix or on-line. Duirng the 90's and 2000's Tucson grew large enough to draw national stores - now alot of them are folding.

I know with certain cars the Mexicans will come up here and scour the junkyards and ship them all back home. Like with little Toyota trucks. But I haven't priced used cars in a long time so can't speak to current price increases.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 09:18:12 PM »
only 101 here today but the humidity was probably in the high 80% range. nice sweltering heat. I've been seeing a lot of older hotrods for sale in facebook market place. Some of them seem to be pretty reasonable. I guess the oilfield guys are selling off toys.