Author Topic: Well, my Toyota got totalled!  (Read 15563 times)

Offline bonneyman

Well, my Toyota got totalled!
« on: August 25, 2018, 03:43:58 PM »
Was in a wreck last night. Long line of cars stopped for someone making a right turn, guy behind me didn't.
The 22R pickup is toast. Being the filling of a 3 car sandwich ain't pretty!

I think I'm OK. A bit sore but no broken bones or anything.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 03:46:31 PM by bonneyman »

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Well, my Toyota got totalled!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 03:56:25 PM »
Yikes!  Glad you're okay, George. 
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 04:28:24 PM »
Wow -- very sad George! Glad you're OK, but I know you loved that little truck. Good luck --

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 04:28:55 PM »
I hope you and everyone else is OK. Sucks about the 22R I know you really liked it.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 04:33:32 PM »
Yeah, she got crunched really bad. Though surprisingly - to me and all of the firemen - it started and was driven off the road into a parking lot under it's own power. I can't complain - I owned it 30 years out of 32.

It got impounded and towed away before I could get it towed to my house, so, some personal items are still in it. Though I did have enough sense of mind to grab the vintage tools and paperwork out of it before going home last night.

lostmind

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 04:43:20 PM »
Was this after new tires? Glad you're ok

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 04:46:16 PM »
Was this after new tires? Glad you're ok

New tires went on the Astrovan.

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 05:03:34 PM »
Dang I hate to hear that. It might be a good ideal to get checked by a doctor just in case. A distant cousin of mine was rear ended and thought he was fine. Kept getting headaches so he went to ER they xrayed him then the tech and docs almost dropped on the spot he had three neck vertebrae that were barely hanging together. 
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 06:13:22 PM »
Sorry to hear that Bman. I'm glad you are OK and I agree with going to the doc after getting hit from behind so hard.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 06:24:20 PM »
Oh, yeah, the doctor has been consulted.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 06:35:04 PM by bonneyman »

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 07:35:14 PM »
Glad you are OK, whiplash is dangerous, and painful. Hope you don’t have any hidden issues show up. 
To bad about the truck.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 08:53:02 PM »
So sorry about the Toyota, Bonneyman. But, glad you’re okay. As others have said, you should get checked out just to make sure ther are no hidden injuries. The 22R is a sweet truck, I had an 18R and to this day, I still regret  that I sold it. That was 42 years ago.

Offline john k

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 09:06:37 PM »
Driving something for years like that, like part of the family.  Hope the other guys had insurance.   Be a learning curve to get used to something else.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 10:38:48 PM »
man I hate to hear this. I had a collision in  my DD back in 16. nothing major but it needed to be replaced. Now i'm waiting for the 2019 replacement to come in. then its payment time,  for more years than I care to admit.  ???

I'll second or third that if you have any pain go see the Dr. It may go away, it may not.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 11:12:59 PM »
Several of the firemen stated to me how nice the truck was. Sad to see it in that condition, but it was getting old.

Thanks for all the well-wishes and encouragement to see the Doc. Will be checking in with him on Monday.

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 12:13:56 AM »
That could have been real bad, glad only the truck was totaled and not you!
Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

Offline bill300d

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 07:44:49 AM »
Sorry to hear you lost your ride bman. The most important part is you are ok.

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2018, 08:06:33 PM »
Glad you are ok, sorry to here another Toy is gone to heaven.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »
We finally managed to download the accident pics off the old flip phone. Man, did my little truck get smashed! :-\
The 4 inch steel pipe that looks like a tail pipe was actually the rear bumper! It basically held the rear end together, and is now rotated up under and against the spare tire. The front body panels broke off the drivers side frame mounting bolt and moved back at least 6 inches (didn't measure it). Oddly enough, neither headlight was broken.
The truck took one hell of a impact - both front and rear - and provided me with a safe haven - with alot of help from the Lord. O:-)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:02:43 PM by bonneyman »

Offline Hootbro

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 12:54:04 PM »
That sucks. Had a 1986 Toyota PU in red. Great truck.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 08:18:21 AM »
George, glad you are ok.  Really surprised that your bed isn't crinkled considering what the Ford looks like.

Don't sign off on the health side of the claim until you get satisfaction for the compensation of your truck.  You may need that leverage to get a fair shake.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 10:30:33 AM »
George, glad you are ok.  Really surprised that your bed isn't crinkled considering what the Ford looks like.

Don't sign off on the health side of the claim until you get satisfaction for the compensation of your truck.  You may need that leverage to get a fair shake.

That is incredibly insightful advice! Please do take heed of that advice it is very very good advice!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Hootbro

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 11:22:07 AM »
Realistically, what would full value be on a plain vanilla basic Toyota truck after 32+ years?

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 11:57:06 AM »
Realistically, what would full value be on a plain vanilla basic Toyota truck after 32+ years?

Whatever that value might be more times than not I expect the insurance company to try and make me take it in the shorts...........that is why it is a great idea to keep a lever until that is sorted out, cheap insurance against them hosing you. If you have no lever it is just bend over and grab yer ankles you know.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 12:01:11 PM »
Kelly bluebook had an estimate for one in immaculate condition. Mine was far less than immaculate, and with almost 260,000 miles wear on most of it - whose to say? We'll see what their adjusters offer.

The 4 inch steel pipe bumper held the whole rear together, forcing everything to collapse rather than peel off out of the way. If I'd had the complementary bumper on the front the forward guy would have really gotten whacked.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:03:00 PM by bonneyman »

Offline muddy

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2018, 07:15:12 PM »
 :'(  :'( :'( :'(

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2018, 09:53:27 PM »

Offline TWX

• What's wrong with being sexy?
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2018, 08:33:05 AM »
Having been the meat in a three-car sandwich myself once, the insurance company of the person that hit you is probably going to try to deflect some blame for damage to the car in front onto you.  Make sure that you tell them that you had your foot firmly on the brake pedal during the accident if they call you.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 09:47:21 AM »
Having been the meat in a three-car sandwich myself once, the insurance company of the person that hit you is probably going to try to deflect some blame for damage to the car in front onto you. Make sure that you tell them that you had your foot firmly on the brake pedal during the accident if they call you.
[/b]

10-4 And it's true!

• Ran when parked
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2018, 01:20:48 AM »
Can we see a couple pics of the truck post collision?
boop/bop/beep

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2018, 04:27:30 AM »
Several times we have had cars totaled that were hit in an accident where the other driver was at fault and no one was hurt. I must admit every time the car was a high miler and we walked away with more money than if I had tried to sell it outright. In a sense you might count yourself lucky if you come out good on the buyout of your truck.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2018, 09:50:41 AM »
OK, I've deleted the depressing pics, and will leave up one of the few pictures I have of the Toyota as I want to remember it. This is from 2013.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:19:15 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2018, 10:00:05 AM »
Several times we have had cars totaled that were hit in an accident where the other driver was at fault and no one was hurt. I must admit every time the car was a high miler and we walked away with more money than if I had tried to sell it outright. In a sense you might count yourself lucky if you come out good on the buyout of your truck.

Thanks for the encouragement, UB. I'm very blessed to have walked away from such a crash, only time will tell if any hidden injury reveals themselves.
As far as the truck is concerned, it is what it is. I had it for almost 30 years, and it was a great truck. But it was getting up there, and I have begun to miss not having automatic and A/C. So, it's a bittersweet loss thing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 10:02:08 AM by bonneyman »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2018, 11:24:52 AM »
that sucks. that was nice clean, straight truck for the age.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2018, 05:27:39 PM »

This is truth. Its hard to replace simple, reliable transportation. Especially a work truck. After a few years they are either beat to death or they're overpriced creampuffs. I recently was in the market for a truck. the newer used trucks were just a grand or two less than brand new.
My old DD was a 98 2500GM with 260K. it wasn't on CL 1 day and my phone was running over. Sold it 1st day for cash, what I wanted for it too. I really expected to have trouble selling it but the  guy buying it was an old dude that needed a good work truck. With all the flooding around here the past year he was scared to buy anything that wasn't a one owner deal.

Offline TWX

• What's wrong with being sexy?
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2018, 06:07:12 PM »

This is truth. Its hard to replace simple, reliable transportation. Especially a work truck. After a few years they are either beat to death or they're overpriced creampuffs. I recently was in the market for a truck. the newer used trucks were just a grand or two less than brand new.
My old DD was a 98 2500GM with 260K. it wasn't on CL 1 day and my phone was running over. Sold it 1st day for cash, what I wanted for it too. I really expected to have trouble selling it but the  guy buying it was an old dude that needed a good work truck. With all the flooding around here the past year he was scared to buy anything that wasn't a one owner deal.

That's part why I bought the '15 Nissan Frontier.  I had other Nissans before but my choice was based on price and design more than it was on brand-loyalty.  In short, the D40 chassis debuted on the Frontier for the '05 model year and is still being built for model year '19, the only major revision was an almost unnoticeable front bumper and grille change for either 2009 or 2010 (similar to when the Dodge Dakota went from flat-front to curve-front in '90 or '91), basically the interior, suspension, powertrain, sheet metal, etc, all the same.  It was also literally the cheapest crew cab 4x4 with a 6' bed on the market, and the base models are also the cheapest trucks in their relative configuration available.  Plus the radio is not integral into the body control module, it can be replaced or upgraded without affecting how the vehicle works.

And apparently it still gets good reviews when tested against other trucks.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2018, 06:33:28 PM »

That's part why I bought the '15 Nissan Frontier.  I had other Nissans before but my choice was based on price and design more than it was on brand-loyalty.  In short, the D40 chassis debuted on the Frontier for the '05 model year and is still being built for model year '19, the only major revision was an almost unnoticeable front bumper and grille change for either 2009 or 2010 (similar to when the Dodge Dakota went from flat-front to curve-front in '90 or '91), basically the interior, suspension, powertrain, sheet metal, etc, all the same.  It was also literally the cheapest crew cab 4x4 with a 6' bed on the market, and the base models are also the cheapest trucks in their relative configuration available.  Plus the radio is not integral into the body control module, it can be replaced or upgraded without affecting how the vehicle works.

And apparently it still gets good reviews when tested against other trucks.

Yes -- the Nissan Frontier is becoming the "contractor special" by default because it's the only platform that you can still get in basic stripped down trim. Many small contractors use that truck around here.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2018, 11:39:20 PM »
Thanks for the pics, George.  From the passenger side angle, you can't even tell anything!
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2018, 01:20:30 PM »
Thanks for the pics, George.  From the passenger side angle, you can't even tell anything!

That's actually an older pic when I used it to haul an evap cooler for a friend.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2018, 08:07:34 PM »

That's actually an older pic when I used it to haul an evap cooler for a friend.

Ah, gotcha.  Very nice truck.
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 08:13:13 PM »

Ah, gotcha.  Very nice truck.

Thanks! Good pic to remember it by.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2018, 10:49:55 PM »
Well, gents, the deed is done. Turned the title over to the insurance company today, and they handed me a check. My truck is now gone. I'm not in the market to replace it, probably not anytime soon.
Gonna take a while to gut used to the empty spot in the garage. :'(

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2018, 09:18:39 AM »
I feel your pain.
Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2018, 08:35:50 PM »
bman,

As a vintage Toyota truck owner & fan, I feel your pain :'(

You had one of the nicest and best preserved examples I've seen.  So sad...

When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »
bman,

As a vintage Toyota truck owner & fan, I feel your pain :'(

You had one of the nicest and best preserved examples I've seen.  So sad...

Thanks Gary. I went through my shop, and gathered together all the parts, antifreeze, oil, and odds and ends I've accumulated over the years for it. I donated them to the mechanic who put in the rebuilt engine. He's done alot of freebies for me over the past 3 years. Figured it was only fair, and I didn't want that stuff popping out for months every time I moved something on a shelf.