Author Topic: The "Look"  (Read 4461 times)

Offline bonneyman

The "Look"
« on: September 17, 2018, 08:43:50 PM »
All of us men have, at one time or another, gotten the "look" from their woman. It's kinda hard to describe to young single guys, but - when you get it - you'll know it. When you come home with your 100th screwdriver, or you just gotta have that new tool box, or man that car would be nice: the "look" comes out!
Well, I got it yesterday. (I was half trying to see how far I could push it.) I had read this article where people are buying these metal shipping containers and renovating them and turning them into small homes and apartments. I saw this one triple-decker of steel boxes mounted on top of each other, and the inside views were nice. I was talking to my wife about the concept, and she thought it was kind of ridiculous. I told her the cost of housing is so high in so many parts of the country, alot of people are being creative, and this is one of the answers they've come up with.
Then I said, "I would give it a try....if Gal Gadot (i.e. Wonder Woman) was my housekeeper". Man, the look almost made me lose control of the truck!  :D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:47:40 PM by bonneyman »

Offline fatfillup

Re: The "Look"
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 08:09:31 AM »
haha, yeah I get the look from time to time. 

I actually like the concept of the tiny homes.  Put 4 or 5 together and you have something :D

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 08:31:20 AM »
The look only has impact on me when I am cranky. If I am in a good mood I simply ignore the look and carry on as usual. If I am in poor humor giving me the look is not a good idea. The older I get, the more this applies too.

I married too late in life to care about "the look" but she still tries from time to time though I think she knows it never really slowed me down.

Everything I do in the shop rates the look, if I worried about the look I would sell every tool and machine I own, and all of my rusty projects. I stopped fishing for any sort of approval of my interests years ago. As far as shared interests or hobbies my wife and I sadly share no real interests in much of anything other than the kids.

This is where I used to insert the grumpy old man shaking his fist at everyone......
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 08:46:03 AM »
Yea I got "the look" the other day when I told my wife I was saving up to buy a $600 Bosch miter saw.
Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 09:50:21 AM »
The look only has impact on me when I am cranky. If I am in a good mood I simply ignore the look and carry on as usual. If I am in poor humor giving me the look is not a good idea. The older I get, the more this applies too.

I married too late in life to care about "the look" but she still tries from time to time though I think she knows it never really slowed me down.

Everything I do in the shop rates the look, if I worried about the look I would sell every tool and machine I own, and all of my rusty projects. I stopped fishing for any sort of approval of my interests years ago. As far as shared interests or hobbies my wife and I sadly share no real interests in much of anything other than the kids.

This is where I used to insert the grumpy old man shaking his fist at everyone......

My wife and I married late in life. too. We've known each other for a while before that, and we share alot of things in common.

My love of tools is not one of them, but  99% of the time she doesn't have a problem with me buying tools if I need them. And if I have projects in the shop to do, she recognizes I'm in a much better mood overall so she usually doesn't fret over it. We've learned to "pick our battles", as they say.
She has some interests that don't do anything for me - if she wants time out with the girlfriends, no problem. And I don't make her sit through monster movies - scary and bloody just isn't her thing. But we share enough in common that we are happy.

I just keep my tool purchases from building up on the kitchen island and it's all good! :))

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »
Yea I got "the look" the other day when I told my wife I was saving up to buy a $600 Bosch miter saw.

$600? Whoa, I'd be told, "Hope that saw can cut up your dinner for you!" >:(

One of the great things about pawnie shopping is most of my purchases are $5 or under. And I don't find stuff every week, so, it doesn't break my budget. And if I have a tool sale once or twice a year, I give that money to my wife for her to spend on something she wants. (Almost always she puts it in the savings account).  :-[

Occasionally a $1 purchase turns into a $70 sale. no one complains about that.

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 08:20:34 PM »
Yeah I'm familiar with "the look" usually when I say something about buying another tractor.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 09:13:20 PM »
Yeah I'm familiar with "the look" usually when I say something about buying another tractor.

My wife doesn't have a clue how many tractors I have. And I dont plan on telling her either. :-X

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 04:52:01 PM »
I try to keep short accounts with my wife. That way I don't have to worry about something forgotten sneaking up and burning me later. The cover-up is worse then the crime!

Besides, I want to save up my tool credits for when I make it back to one of Phil's open houses. If I blow all my chips in the meantime they'll be gone when I really need them! :D

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 09:23:13 PM »

My wife doesn't have a clue how many tractors I have. And I dont plan on telling her either. :-X

My wife does know how many I have and regularly suggests I sell all but one. Like I said, if the wife had her way I would have one hand carry tool box and and empty garage. She should be very happy once I'm gone! LOL  :)) ginormous sale.  ;)
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 06:17:06 AM »
I'll get there for that sale! :))

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 06:15:01 PM »
I'll get there for that sale! :))

As with most of the guys on this site, they're would be LONG lines at their estate sales!

Although, I'd really rather you guys stick around. :)