Author Topic: So frustrated with the police  (Read 8246 times)

Offline m_fumich

Re: So frustrated with the police
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 12:21:14 PM »
I’m finally getting info from the police. At first they said they didn’t know he had a vehicle at the motel but the motel said his truck was towed the day he was found. After that, the police confirmed they did tow his truck. I’ve got to call the motel tomorrow to speak to the manager to find out about the stuff from his room. The medical examiner confirmed the police have his pistol. The motel clerk I spoke to said he was found sitting in a chair in his room holding his pistol. The only think that’s been consistent from all sources is that he died of natural causes. The Sgt in charge of the investigation said he has no next of kin that they can verify. We will see where things go from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 12:59:28 PM »
Any new developments?
Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 01:44:13 PM »
Nothing concrete. I was told that Brian’s possessions will probably be sold and the probate lawyer will get to keep the money.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 05:46:12 PM »
It’s been 30 days since Bryan died so the ME called me to say they can release his body. There were suggestion that Bryan had committed suicide. He was found in a chair in his room with his pistol in his hand. I know he liked handling his gun so I considered the possibility that he was just holding it when he fell asleep and he died in his sleep. When I specifically asked about cause of death, they said it was ruled a suicide. Bryan died from a self inflicted gunshot wound. Now I’m left with a lot of questions that will never be answered.

My wife found a funeral home that will cremate him for around $700. I just have to decide on an appropriate place to scatter his ashes.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 12:44:31 AM »
We started a GoFundMe. The exact cost of the cremation is $800 but that doesn’t include the cost of a death certificate. We’re also going to submit Bryan’s DNA to “23 and Me” to see if we can find any relatives. We hit our goal in less than 24 hours thanks to my wife’s friends. No one that donated ever knew who Bryan was before his death.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2019, 06:34:49 PM »
That's a nice end.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline mrbill

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2019, 07:33:43 PM »
Matt,

I hope that when I pass I am lucky enough to have someone who has the same level of compassion you have shown for your friend Bryan.  You've given us all a lesson in how to do the right thing.  My hat is off to you.

Regards,

Bill

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2019, 09:40:31 PM »
Thanks Bill.

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2019, 01:20:42 PM »
Apparently Brian had some troubles, but I'm sure you were one of the bright spots in his life. I'm glad he had a friend like you.
Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 06:30:52 PM »
I got a bit more information today. I finally got through to the motel manager where he died. Bryan left nothing in his room. I already knew his next weeks bill was due the day he was found. It appears he packed all his things in his Montero then went back to his room and shot himself. Bryan wasn’t working. He had no source of income but he said he had money saved. I suspect he didn’t want to go back to being homeless. He had said many times he wanted to live alone. If I though for one moment he no longer had the means to keep a roof over his head, I would have insisted he come live with me. I have an unused bedroom and I’d have liked the company.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 10:28:26 PM »
As a direct result of Bryan’s suicide, one of the schools my wife works for is having suicide awareness training for the teachers. With an increase in suicide rates among adolescents, the head of schools thought it was something they should get a little training on.

BTW, the crematorium will be picking Bryan up from the ME’s office this week. The ME called me today to make sure it was OK to release his body to them. I can’t figure out why they would need my OK since I’m not the next of kin. I don’t have any specific right to make these decisions than anyone else according to the law. I’m waiting to hear back from the county attorneys office about Bryan’s possessions.

Offline m_fumich

So frustrated with the police
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2020, 10:52:02 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I though it would update it. There have been some interesting developments.

Bryan was 62. He said he grew up in Texas and I assumed he had been born there. I vaguely remember him saying his father had lived in TN one point. He told me his parents and sister were all dead. He did tell me his father had been an engineer and was well educated. At Bryan’s age, it’s reasonable to expect his parents to have died. By February, the Memphis Police Department has ZERO leads on Bryan’s next of kin. I decided to enlist the help of my genealogy friends on Facebook. I’ve been into genealogy for over 35 years but doing research now is so much easier.

To make a long story short, within 4 hours of posting a message on the genealogy group FB page, a friend in California identified Bryan’s mother and father. His father was born in **** and was working on his Master’s in Engineering at Cornell when Bryan was born in ****. Over the years, his father worked for **** in ****, **** in ****, and **** in **** state. This explains why Brian grew up in Texas. Here’s the shocker. Bryan’s parents are still alive. His mother moved into a care facility back in November 2019 in ****. His father is 94 and living in **** again. That’s only 2 hours from me. I spoke to Bryan’s dad that night. Bryan looked just like his dad and sounded like him to. John told me he hadn’t talked to Bryan in 40 years. John agreed to sign what ever documents were necessary for the MPD to release Bryan’s possessions to me. We finally got a letter notarized and in their hands in April. I have since spoken to the Sgt in charge of Bryan’s case and he said he sent the paperwork to the legal department but no further progress has been made.

I was told several months ago that Bryan’s pistol would never be released because it was used in the commission of a crime. I’m going to wait until I get the rest of Bryan’s stuff before I fight them on that issue. Suicide has been decriminalized in every state. No crime was committed and they can’t permanently seize his property unless he was found guilty of a crime. We will see how that goes.

EDIT to remove personally identifying information. It is against the Terms of service to include personal information of others without their knowledge or permission. Do not remove this note again.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 09:39:22 PM by J.A.F.E. »