Author Topic: How a Safe Lock Works and How to Change the Combination  (Read 10581 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
How a Safe Lock Works and How to Change the Combination
« on: August 31, 2018, 04:33:10 AM »
This particular lock is a Sargent and Greenleaf. It's typical of most - the details may vary but the principles are pretty much the same and have been for quite a while.

The tab on the lower right hand corner is for a device called a relock some mechanisms have the tab some don't but any good safe has at least one relock and usually two - one internal to the mechanism and one external. You won't find relocks on cheap safes. One is built into this mechanism like on any good mechanism and I'll point it out later. The relock is a device to prevent the mechanism from opening if force is used to try and open the safe sort of like a mechanical fuse. There are lot's of different designs some use a glass link some a spring some other methods. If the relock trips the only way the safe will be opened is by someone who knows how to bypass it (not going to be cheap) or by cutting the safe open (not going to be easy). Dropping a safe could trip the relock so my advice if moving a safe take the door off - on a good safe they lift off pivots and it makes the safe a lot lighter to move anyway. The brass bolt on the left is the key part. When locked it is extended and when unlocked it retracts allowing another mechanism to move (usually operated by a hand lever).

This shows the side the mechanism, the guard ring and the dial. The door thickness varies on different safes so the shaft on the dial comes long on replacement mechanisms and is cut to length when installing. Mechanisms aren't very expensive all things considered and they do go bad or are replaced for one reason or another.

This is what it is and it's very simple - almost disappointingly so - and hasn't changed much in years. At the top on the left is a bent brass arm - that's the internal relock more on that later. When the dial is turned it turns the brass wheel they are directly connected. The brass wheel turns the top wheel and that turns the middle wheel and that the bottom wheel. They are not directly connected and have some degree of rotation until one wheel picks up the next. This has three wheels so the combination is three numbers there are four wheel models as well.

The wheels have gates and when the gates are lined up the lever shown at the bottom drops in and the bolt can be pulled back. The gate is shown at the top.

Here the gates are lined up - although blocked from view by the lever which has dropped into place and the brass wheel pulled the lever, and bolt, back.

This is the view from the dial side. The gates are lined up and the lever can then drop into place.

Detail of the lever.

Detail of the wheels with the gates lined up.

This has three numbers for the combination and like most mechanisms the combination is dialed in 4 turns to counterclockwise stopping on the first number. Turn clockwise passing the second number twice and stopping on the third. Turn counter clockwise passing the last number once and stopping on the last number the second time. Then turn the dial clockwise about 1/4 turn - it will stop when the bolt is pulled back.

The back of the brass wheel has a tab that engages the top wheel. There is a lot of slop when changing direction almost 360 degrees.

The wheels have a tab on the front and back. This is why there is the pass the desired number sequence it allows each wheel to stop in position and the next wheel to turn with out moving the previous wheel.

When dialing a combination if you pass a number - even by just one you must start all over.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: How a Safe Lock Works and How to Change the Combination
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 04:45:14 AM »
The dial is connected to a bras axle that as mentioned is cut to length when the mechanism is installed. There is a slot in the axel and a spline key is used to set the brass wheel in a given relation to the dial.

The mechanism can be put in the door in any of four orientations - the brass bolt left, right, up or down.

The brass wheel has four slots so the orientation of the mechanism is correct - vertical up, vertical down, left hand and right hand.

[/url]

The relock. When the cover is in place the arm pressed down and it clears the bolt. If something dislodges the cover the relock engages.

There's a hole in the bolt and the relock would block the bolt if they engage.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 05:14:21 AM »
When dialing a combination the combination line is used. It's marked pretty well. Here the 0 is lined up with the combination line.

When changing the combination you need a special key and there are a bunch of different ones but the two most common are these.

When changing the combination the set line is used to dial the combination. I can not stress enough if you change the combination do it with the door open and once you've changed it test it several times. If something goes wring with the door open no big deal. If the door is locked not as simple. Here the 0 is at the set line.

To change the combination the combination is dialed using the set line and the tool is inserted into the case and the tool is turned 90 degrees. The new combination is dialed in and the key turned back and removed then try the new combination. There is probably a cover on the door that has to be removed to access the lock mechanism. The key engages a mechanism on each wheel.

The wheels have a mechanism inside that engages and disengages as the key is turned.

Changing the combination changes the position of the tab on the hub to the gate on the wheel. Note the black Sharpie line.

Here the hub and rim have been rotated relative to each other.

When you change the combination you are altering the relationship between the hub and the rim in essence moving the gate. Pretty simple. Usually when changing a combination the numbers have to be so far apart - 15 is common. So if the first number is 50 the second one has to be 35 or less or 65 or greater but each mechanism is a little different and should come with instructions. If not use 15. A combination like 30-60-30 is fine.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »
Great tutorial Steve -- thanks, I learned somethin'!!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 05:15:31 PM »
cool. now I'll have to try changing the combo on someones safe. Not mine tho. I don't want to screw mine up. ;D

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 08:55:28 PM »
That's the way to learn on someone elses stuff.  :D

Offline brslk

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 06:52:49 PM »
That's really cool.  I'm pretty good with regular locks but combination locks have always been like voodoo to me... except for those cheap ones that some kids had back in school that could be opened pretty easily.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 07:25:45 PM »
Some can manipulate these they just have the feel natural or learned. They usually use a graph, often it's circular. Not like the movies with sanding your fingertips and a stethoscope though. It's not a ten minute job either - you are parked there a while. Unless of course you have on proper footwear.

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 07:31:25 PM »
Some can manipulate these they just have the feel natural or learned. They usually use a graph, often it's circular. Not like the movies with sanding your fingertips and a stethoscope though. It's not a ten minute job either - you are parked there a while. Unless of course you have on proper footwear.

Unless you’re Jeff Sitar.