Author Topic: Water lilies  (Read 17528 times)

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
Water lilies
« on: August 13, 2018, 02:34:33 PM »
To show that this is really garage related, my son and I were shopping for a truck, and behind the used car lot was a small pond. I shot several photos of water lilies.

White Water Lilies by Noel Hankamer, on Flickr

Water Lily Pads by Noel Hankamer, on Flickr
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Online Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Water lilies
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »
Man you take some stunning photos Noel! What kind of camera do you have?
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 03:32:08 PM »
I usually just say I have one of those big black ones when people ask.
I have a couple of Canons. Old 5D Classic, 8 year old Canon 60D , a Canon T3 from a pawn shop, and a Canon Powershot that was given to me by a friend.

It is not the camera that makes good pictures, it is having an "eye" for good shots and a willingness to learn.
Many are taking great photos with phones these days, and I encourage them. I just can't seem to do as well with the phone as I do with a DSLR.

I took photos in high school many years ago and got away from it and back to it several times. When I started selling on Ebay, I borrowed a Sony Mavica ( photos on a floppy ! ) and that made me go out and buy a better camera.

If I may beat my own drum a bit, look at my photos here- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

And here- https://www.papawsimages.com/

Online Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 04:10:11 PM »
I think my 17 YO daughter has this gift too. A couple of years ago she got into journalism and sports photography in school and totally immersed herself in that. Around Christmas she asked for a camera which as you know gets expensive quick when buying new. We bought her a Nikon D3400 as a kit with a couple of lenses and assorted goodies. She has used it a lot and I am always amazed at the quality of pictures she is able to take with what I know is an entry level camera.

She has won a couple of photography competitions where her pictures were entered so I think she must be on the right track. She said something a while back about probably needing a better camera in the next couple of years. Sadly, I had to tell her that the next step up was going to be on her. With three kids in the home and all three in HS a costlier fancier camera is just not in the cards at our house. 
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 04:22:15 PM »
There are plenty good used camera deals around.
She should be aware of the different sensor sizes by now and go for a good used Full Frame Nikon and lenses that match it.  She could sell her used one to help buy better. The lenses for her D3400 probably won't work on a full frame camera as far as I know, but i am not versed in Nikon terms.

Good lenses are very important for getting great shots.