Author Topic: Christmas Tree Harvest  (Read 11783 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Christmas Tree Harvest
« on: November 08, 2018, 12:33:09 PM »
Friend of mine sent me this pic of them loading out trees. I worked them in high school and hated the wet, miserable work so bad I won't have a tree ever in my house.  :( This an odd day to not have it pouring Oregon Sunshine.

They cut and bundle the trees with a rope bridle so the chopper can snatch several bundles quickly. Helicopters are used because the trees are grown on schit ground that's steep and very muddy this time of year. It's also a time sensitive harvest. The trees headed for HI in shipping containers were cut and shipped just before halloween. Harvest will be over by Thanksgiving.

Greyson

Offline slip knot

Re: Christmas Tree Harvest
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 05:05:44 PM »
The Christmas tree bidness must be pretty lucrative to afford helo airtime. I never would have guessed that.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 05:33:46 PM »
The Christmas tree bidness must be pretty lucrative to afford helo airtime. I never would have guessed that.
My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

Offline john k

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 08:07:40 PM »
Copters won't leave tracks in fragile soil either, keeping the tree huggers happy.   Unreal they do it this way.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 10:23:43 PM »
Interesting.  Never gave much thought to it.
boop/bop/beep

Offline gtermini

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 09:52:40 AM »
Like any ag commodity, the price fluctuates wildly year to year. Two years ago, the price was so bad many guys shoved all their trees out with a cat. Growing them is hedging bets because it takes 5-7 years for a tree to mature, so you're guessing the future market. There's a lot more than just sticking a seedling in the ground. The tree have to be sheared and topped every year starting the 2nd or 3rd year. When the price was low, a 6-7 ft noble fir (the most desirable tree and size) was $5-12 ea to the grower, right now there are a few wholesalers paying near $40 ea. Harvest is the biggest growing expense.

Over half the tree ground is literally too steep to get equipment on once it starts raining. For example, ripping stumps out takes a big 4WD tractor ( JD 8 wheeler or cat challenger) and you can only pull the ripper downhill. The tractor can't make it up the slope even with the implement out of the ground, and has to drive around on a road to the top of the field. The helicopters are $400-1500/hr depending on size and other conditions. They will work 15 hrs a day, 7 days a week from Oct 25th to Nov 25th. Lots of choppers come up from Cali for the harvest because almost no farmers here own their own. There are some local heli outfits that do tree spraying and fertilizing for both the xmas trees and timber farms.

Greyson

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 09:58:35 AM »
That is a good load for that helo as you can see the flex in the blades. I never knew they were harvested that way.

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »
Here's one in action...........WOW!!

Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

Offline gtermini

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 02:14:49 PM »
The pilots are straight up NUTS! Usually about one a year goes down. There's one farm over by Salem that has their own choppers for field work. They can't keep anybody working with one of their pilots  because he scares the guys on the truck too bad. He flew helis in Vietnam, and must pretend he's still on gunner missions. lol

What that video doesn't show is the nasty static electricity shock you get when you clip the bundle on. Makes your toes about pop off. The weather was normal in it for harvest.

Greyson

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 03:28:35 PM »
What that video doesn't show is the nasty static electricity shock you get when you clip the bundle on. Makes your toes about pop off. The weather was normal in it for harvest.

Greyson
They always warned us at survival school to let the lifting device touch the ground before grabbing it.  :-\
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Rural53

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 05:30:38 PM »
Here's one in action...........WOW!!

He's very good. I like working with good helicopter pilots. I spent several summers under helicopters fire fighting. The guys we worked with would always put the bucket basically on the toes of your boots.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 06:22:47 PM »
Damned impressive helo pilot. 8)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 09:32:12 AM »
umm.......i would guess in the off season those guys fly farther south picking up bundles of ummm,,,,,, a more profitable crop.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!