Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 670532 times)

Offline bmwrd0

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #1605 on: July 28, 2020, 11:49:38 PM »
When I bought my house, the only thing left carpeted was the stairs, so I knew there were going to be issues with it. Well, here is what it looked like after I pulled the carpet a few years ago.

And here is how it looks today, as I spent the day scraping the old mastic from the carpet, and removing he screws the old owner had driven in, replacing five treads and such. Amazing how hard scraping is when you really can't put weight on stuff, and doing it on stairs is real tiring. Still a long way to go but looking much better.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #1606 on: July 29, 2020, 12:04:12 AM »
Those tensioner springs are death cannons if not handled carefully when installing new springs. Looks like there's some good parts left off the old gal.

Final drives and engine are gone, sold whatever survived the drop.
We still have an original radiator as the last sale hope.
Its a 1970 model and died a decade ago for a cracked trans case.  So few survivors exist demand for parts is nil.

Some parts carry to later models and a few have possible reuse potential but mostly its scrap. 

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1607 on: July 29, 2020, 08:07:18 AM »
........ Looks like there's some good parts left off the old gal.

Yes definitely. One of those ironies where often the parts are worth more that the whole. The machine is junk, but the parts are valuable.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1608 on: July 29, 2020, 10:13:21 AM »
Had another scorpion crawling in the living room last night. Managed to dispatch it without getting stung. From the looks of it it could have been the lethal species. Kinda weird - after sqwashing it the tail section got separated from the rest and started flexing on it's own for about 30 seconds. Yikes!

Had one about 2 months ago so it's not an invasion, but that means they gotta be getting in some how. So it'll be front entryway and door sealing and weather stripping today.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #1609 on: July 29, 2020, 10:22:45 AM »
Had another scorpion crawling in the living room last night. Managed to dispatch it without getting stung. From the looks of it it could have been the lethal species. Kinda weird - after sqwashing it the tail section got separated from the rest and started flexing on it's own for about 30 seconds. Yikes!

Had one about 2 months ago so it's not an invasion, but that means they gotta be getting in some how. So it'll be front entryway and door sealing and weather stripping today.

This stuff is supposed to work well on scorpions. No scorpions around here but it kills everything else and lasts a long time. Sprayed one persons house with the stuff for "a couple of roaches". They told me there were dead bugs everywhere the next morning :lol_hitting:

https://www.mgk.com/product/onslaught-fastcap-spider-scorpion-insecticide/

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1610 on: July 29, 2020, 11:34:15 AM »
OK looks like the front door threshold sweep is pretty worn. Since I've read scorpions can get through a space as thin as a credit card I'll have to replace it. In the mean time I installed a rubber foam strip to fill the space while I secure the rubber sweep strip.

Matt T - I've have to look at that insecticide you posted. It lists a hydrocarbon, and my house is fully carpeted. Don't know if I want a petroleum product where there's carpet. But we'll see. Thanks!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #1611 on: July 29, 2020, 12:27:54 PM »
Bman, do you have a black light to make those scorpions show up in the dark? They make the things glow so they are easy to spot and works well inside or out as long as it is dark. If you use it outside don't be shocked by how many you may see. The Sonora Desert is pretty loaded with them.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #1612 on: July 29, 2020, 01:12:24 PM »
Matt T - I've have to look at that insecticide you posted. It lists a hydrocarbon, and my house is fully carpeted. Don't know if I want a petroleum product where there's carpet. But we'll see. Thanks!

Took a quick look at the SDS, because I haven't noticed any residue from the stuff, and it says less than 10% petroleum distillates. Diluted 1oz per gallon that'll be well under 1/10 of a percent mixed.

You can also use it as a perimeter spray around your foundation, and doors and windows, to get 'em on their way in.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #1613 on: July 29, 2020, 02:02:12 PM »
I use Demon wp for scorpions here. its a powder that uses water as the carrier, once dry its back to a powder. its pretty hard on scorpions.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #1614 on: July 29, 2020, 06:42:38 PM »
I have a Century of Fords.....
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #1615 on: July 29, 2020, 08:35:10 PM »
I popped a few more small parts off the old Cat.
Thats my sandal next to that pin.  Its rather large.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #1616 on: July 29, 2020, 09:36:44 PM »
Apparently over on ch3 I got too mouthy and got banned. No warning, and it said it would never be lifted so I guess I'm done with them. Reason, it said I asked. Not sure what to make of it but now y'all are stuck with me.

Oh well. On with my life. Lots of other places to see on the interwebz.
Rich

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1617 on: July 29, 2020, 09:48:00 PM »
Bman, do you have a black light to make those scorpions show up in the dark? They make the things glow so they are easy to spot and works well inside or out as long as it is dark. If you use it outside don't be shocked by how many you may see. The Sonora Desert is pretty loaded with them.

Yeah Nutz, I'm actually afraid of getting a blacklight and finding out I'm in the center of a scorpion field! :a102:

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #1618 on: July 30, 2020, 07:04:29 AM »
I have a Century of Fords.....

That is cool.   :bravo_2: :bravo_2: :bravo_2:
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1619 on: July 30, 2020, 10:41:30 AM »
Apparently over on ch3 I got too mouthy and got banned. No warning, and it said it would never be lifted so I guess I'm done with them. Reason, it said I asked. Not sure what to make of it but now y'all are stuck with me.

Oh well. On with my life. Lots of other places to see on the interwebz.

No big loss. If you want we can start a "tool polishing" and "garage floor coatings" section on the GG to make the transition easier --  :clap: