Author Topic: Farmall 706 too Big?  (Read 5004 times)

Offline RustFarmer

Farmall 706 too Big?
« on: March 14, 2020, 09:13:58 AM »
Don't want to discuss the price on here, just want to figure out if this is the right tractor for me.  I will check the TA and clutch if I decide to pursue it.

I have a chance to buy a 706 with a Loader (Bush Hog 2845 QT).  This is the Farmall 706, Same as an IH 706, but the Farmall has a set forward front axle, so 10 inch longer wheelbase.

Factory wide front
German Diesel
Four speed with Hi/Lo/Reverse range, and Torque Amplifier
70 Horsepower
10,000 pound machine
has 3 point with I think a factory upper bracket.

I will use it on a 15 acre wooded and flat property. (sparsely wooded, so size between the trees is not an issue)
Soil is sandy, and soft, my pickup left some ruts a couple weeks ago.

I will use it to:
Move stuff around with the bucket. (Dirt, Snow, Gravel, Pallets, Engine blocks, Axles)
Stand in the bucket to work on high things
Drill post holes
Field mowing
Skidding logs
other stuff I have not thought of yet.

I will not use it for finish mowing around the house, just rough cutting around the woods.

Don't have a need to transport it off the property,  If I ever do, I'll get a bigger trailer.

Has 18-38 ag tires.  Will this leave ruts everywhere?
Should I wait for a Hydrostatic or Shuttle transmission (is that better for loader work)?

Thank you for helping a noob out.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 02:25:47 PM by RustFarmer »

Offline oldnslo

Re: Farmall 706 too Big?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 01:32:01 PM »
Not mine here, but wanted to see what one looks like.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 01:42:46 PM »
Thats it.  Starting to think I would be a lot happier with a Hydrostatic transmission.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 02:55:19 PM »
A good solid engine in them. Tranny may not be great for a loader. I have a 3020 gas . They are a little smaller but the tranny is set up like a shuttle shift and is on the dash.  Better off with a little more hp than less if this is the only tractor. Any loader will benefit from larger tires  out front.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 03:41:19 PM »
If your gonna do a lot of loader work then the shuttle is the way to go. My 190AC (100hp) with a FEL is way more nimble than it appears but with a regular trans it can be a bear loading hay all day.

I keep it at the house during the summer and its nice to be able to unload just about anything that will fit in the truck bed.

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 08:37:42 AM »
706 are good tractors my B.I.L. has a gas trike one that he loves. They are great chore tractors.

For occasional loader work it'll be fine. However if your going to be say empty out your barn or scooping s lot if stine where you will be FWD/Reversing a lot I would choose something with a shuttle.

The actual transmission in these tractors are strong, however the shift linkage get worn and binds up and gets to be a pain to shift. (IH lifers know the tricks to their tractors and have no problem however)

Also if your planning to be on and off the tractor alot I would choose something a little lower to the ground/easier to get on/off

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:39:27 AM by muddy »

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 12:45:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'm still thinking about this.  I found a thread on a tractor forum that said the typical clutch life on a loader tractor is 1000 hours (assume used mostly for loading).  A skilled operator (not me) could get up to 3000 hours by dumping the clutch on shifts.

I also read parts and labor for a clutch would be a low of $2000 at a Non-Dealer Indy shop up to $5000 at the Dealership.  Does this sound about right?

Are there any tractors where the clutch can be replaced without splitting?

I found a 10,800 hour example of SKs 3020:
https://rockford.craigslist.org/grd/d/sabula-1970-john-deere-3020-with-148/7092503653.html

I won't be using this 8 hours a day.  If I start with a good clutch it should last me a long time.

Thanks

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 02:48:03 PM »
We looked at plenty of tractors trying to find one after we bought our property. A good tractor doesn't stay for sale long around here as they get snatched up fast. We were ready to pull the trigger on a new Kubota when we saw this Massey Ferguson 40B industrial tractor. I'm glad we got this rather than a compact as I had to use the large box scraper to scrape enough dirt to build up the paddocks on one side of the barn about 5' high. With a bucket full of dirt I was able to climb the slope and wheel roll/compact the fill dirt good enough that it hasn't slumped or settled in over 8 years.

This tractor is easy to work on and easy to get on and off of. With the shuttle shift it makes loader work easy and it has loaded tons of manure in dump trailers. It is RWD and the wide flotation tires up front keeps the front from sinking in even in sandy soil. It has a PTO so it is versatile. I also like the rollover protection.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 02:50:19 PM by DeadNutz »

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 03:15:15 PM »

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'm still thinking about this.  I found a thread on a tractor forum that said the typical clutch life on a loader tractor is 1000 hours (assume used mostly for loading).  A skilled operator (not me) could get up to 3000 hours by dumping the clutch on shifts.

I also read parts and labor for a clutch would be a low of $2000 at a Non-Dealer Indy shop up to $5000 at the Dealership.  Does this sound about right?

Are there any tractors where the clutch can be replaced without splitting?

I found a 10,800 hour example of SKs 3020:
https://rockford.craigslist.org/grd/d/sabula-1970-john-deere-3020-with-148/7092503653.html

I won't be using this 8 hours a day.  If I start with a good clutch it should last me a long time.

Thanks

1000 hrs on a clutch is abuse. I'd definitely say you can get 2000-5000 hrs on a clutch.

$2000 sounds about right for clutch job in an older IH maybe a tad high. Depends on labor rate. Should only be an 8hr job, however with loader will increase labor time.

Oliver and Cockshutts don't need to be split for clutch work.... earlier Cockshutts can be taken out in frame. Oliver and later Oliver made Cockshutts engine has to be pulled from frame to replace clutch.

That 3020 you showed is syncro. Your still going to need the clutch for shifting (unless you get real good, and it can be done without, but that takes years of practice). I may be wrong but I believe SK's 3020 is powershift. However powershifts don't handle constant loader work as well and a standard transmission. They are also twice the cost of clutch in repair.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 04:10:52 PM »
nope, mine is a synchro. that 3020 with 148 loader  and side console is a steal in my book. if it is in decent condition. the 148  loader is a damn nice loader. the don't lift tas high as some but they are solid. those are jd fender but i like the flat top fenders better. our 3020 has been on the farm longer than i have and had a loader on it since the mid 70's. i could write a whole book on what we have done to it but in the course of  nearly 55 years  stuff happens.

for those that don't know jd offered a powershift option with 8 forward and 4 reverse gears. much more common was the synchro range. it had 4 ranges.  the lower 2 ranges had 2 forward and a reverse gear while the 2 higher ranges had 2 forward speeds.  1st, 3rd and reverse in the first range, 2nd, 5th and reverse in the next range, 4th and 7th in the next range and 6th and 8th in the highest range.  it was easy to shuttle between the slower and faster gears in each range but loader work is where the synchro shined. yes you had to stop and clutch  but the 3rd and its reverse  and 5th and it reverse used nearly the same same ratios in each direction. you just pushed the lever forward to go forward and back  for reverse. they also featured a park position. need to get off, put the lever in park and get off. no fussing with  a parking brake. matter of fact they didn't even have them. a great safety feature.

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 04:18:05 PM »

nope, mine is a synchro. that 3020 with 148 loader  and side console is a steal in my book. if it is in decent condition. the 148  loader is a damn nice loader. the don't lift tas high as some but they are solid. those are jd fender but i like the flat top fenders better. our 3020 has been on the farm longer than i have and had a loader on it since the mid 70's. i could write a whole book on what we have done to it but in the course of  nearly 55 years  stuff happens.

for those that don't know jd offered a powershift option with 8 forward and 4 reverse gears. much more common was the synchro range. it had 4 ranges.  the lower 2 ranges had 2 forward and a reverse gear while the 2 higher ranges had 2 forward speeds.  1st, 3rd and reverse in the first range, 2nd, 5th and reverse in the next range, 4th and 7th in the next range and 6th and 8th in the highest range.  it was easy to shuttle between the slower and faster gears in each range but loader work is where the synchro shined. yes you had to stop and clutch  but the 3rd and its reverse  and 5th and it reverse used nearly the same same ratios in each direction. you just pushed the lever forward to go forward and back  for reverse. they also featured a park position. need to get off, put the lever in park and get off. no fussing with  a parking brake. matter of fact they didn't even have them. a great safety feature.

I grew up using my uncle's 3020 with powershift. Still on the farm and running strong. Been a while since I've used a syncro. Sk is right that tractor is priced very well! Side consoles are sought after.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 04:26:48 PM »
i went back and looked. that is a 3020 compact. hence the low round fenders. slightly smaller tires  and shorter wheelbase. most of what i said still holds true and even may be a better fit for your needs. lower height to get on and off and of course lower lifting height and ground clearance.

only fair to mention some of the bad points here as well. a 3020 gas  is thirsty. not bad on light duty but work it and will use fuel. they are also a little slow on the throttle. to smooth out the  4 cylinder they have a large counterbalance in the pan. it takes an extra second or 2 to wind up that extra rotating mass.

if they have been run hard with a loader the frame rails can crack. they can be reinforced but a much easier fix is to purchase aftermarket reinforced frame rails. any easy job but it requires removing all of the loader brackets and swapping out the rails. if i recall all that is needed is a strong back, 15/16 and 1 1/8 wrench/sockets. ask me how i know :))!

Offline highland512

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 08:30:55 AM »
A 706 might be a bit large for your acreage but I dont think its crazy big or anything. I grew up on the fender of a 706 with the german diesel, I would hate to say how many hundreds of hours and thousands of bales I moved with one. They are a great tractor, I prefer -06 serious to the 3020/4020 but if I had the money in my pocket and was looking to buy right now I look at an Allis Chalmers 170,180,190 or Oliver 16xx,17xx, or 18xx. The AC and Oliver's are just as good as the red or green machines and can usually be had for a steal. The only problem is parts, if you dont have an AGCO dealer near by some parts can be hard to source.