Author Topic: I made a great buy!  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
I made a great buy!
« on: September 15, 2019, 11:44:14 PM »
My son and I made our annual trip to the antique tractor show yesterday. I have been taking him since he rode on my shoulders the entire day so this is an event we rarely miss. One of the more enjoyable aspects of this show is the swap meet part of this event. Every so often I find some great buys at the swap. This year I made out very well. Attached is a video I snagged off of You Tube showing the no longer available B&D Drill Bit Sharpener I found for $5.

I have had a Drill Dr. for years, but must admit I have never been overly impressed. I have an idea this old girl will perform much better than the DD.

Mine is a twin to this one, but not the one shown in the video.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 11:46:43 PM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: I made a great buy!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 06:48:35 AM »
The DD does not do small bits all that well. The 2 main adjustments are the cut depth (the stop) and  how the bit is positioned in the holder.

Getting the latter set with the bit in the holder.  Have bit, loose enough to let the gripper pull the bit to the stop & set the  position.

As it is held tighten the bit holder. I made that mistake in the beginning, once pointed out, success was at hand.

What are you doing buying you are supposed to be making room for old cars ......... LOL

Pep
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:50:24 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 06:58:03 AM »
Nice find -- like anything B&D from back in the day, this is probably a very good tool.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 12:12:49 PM »
Nice!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 08:53:15 PM »
The DD does not do small bits all that well. The 2 main adjustments are the cut depth (the stop) and  how the bit is positioned in the holder.

Getting the latter set with the bit in the holder.  Have bit, loose enough to let the gripper pull the bit to the stop & set the  position.

As it is held tighten the bit holder. I made that mistake in the beginning, once pointed out, success was at hand.

What are you doing buying you are supposed to be making room for old cars ......... LOL

Pep

Most are that way AFAIK. I always figure anything around an 1/8" or smaller is replace anyway.
I can always find room for something small and cool, IE. I will simply make room when I have to. I have been getting rid of bigger stuff mainly.   
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!