Author Topic: Wow - water pump price - installed  (Read 2728 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Wow - water pump price - installed
« on: September 16, 2019, 09:28:54 AM »
Sitting at the local service center getting an alignment, and listening to the price quotes for work being done. Pretty expensive to get a car serviced these days.

Poor guy customer just was told that his 2012 Sonata needed a water pump - parts and labor $740.

My alignment is $75 -

....we should all be glad that we have tools and some know how on doing basic services on our family cars. If not for those basic skills, we and our families would be hurting financially. I could not afford our family fleet of cars and trucks if we had to go the service center route for routine maintenance jobs.

Just an observation from sitting here for an hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline highland512

Re: Wow - water pump price - installed
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 11:15:53 AM »
My problem is time. I have the tools and knowledge but not the time. My last big bill was for replacing the clutch on my truck, when your on the road for weeks at a time a $500 labor bill to not spend you precious time at home under your truck is worth it. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 10:16:21 PM »
I don't have the knowledge and stamina to do alot of auto work these days. Luckily the shop I use is charging a reasonable rate.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 06:18:53 PM »
Before I changed jobs I was always worn slick from all the driving I was doing. I did not even want to do anything on the weekend! Well, as soon as I changed jobs I got sick and the whole of 2019 has been shot to hell due to my GI issues and my shoulder replacement surguries, the one already done, plus the one upcoming. I know that a good part of 2020 will have a lot of medical stuff for at least part of the year.

I look forward to getting past all of this crap so I feel like working in the shop again. I have a lot of stuff to do. Paying to have stuff done is getting high priced these days though.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 07:21:05 PM »
Wow UB you have been through a lot the last year. I hope your recovery goes well including the upcoming work yet to go.

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 07:38:08 PM »
A Hyundai motor would require pulling the timing belt to replace the water pump. They probably quoted him the water pump, crank seal, cam seal, oil pump seal, new tensioner for timing belt and new belt.

Most of the quote is probably labor..

It's ridiculous how the cars are built to not be worked on by the average Joe anymore.

On the other hand cars will have to be made to work on themselves since most of today's generation wants nothing to do with it.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 09:46:43 AM »
Cars are made to be assembled quickly and cheaply. Service is not a priority and really high service costs work to the advantage of manufacturers since (with the average consumer) an older car facing a high repair bill is likely to be replaced rather than repaired.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 09:49:07 AM »
A Hyundai motor would require pulling the timing belt to replace the water pump. They probably quoted him the water pump, crank seal, cam seal, oil pump seal, new tensioner for timing belt and new belt.

Most of the quote is probably labor..

It's ridiculous how the cars are built to not be worked on by the average Joe anymore.

On the other hand cars will have to be made to work on themselves since most of today's generation wants nothing to do with it.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Agreed.

Offline garagefanatic

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 08:15:52 PM »
I spent the day doing front brakes, front & rear shocks, and sway bar end links on my truck.  I had over $400.00 in parts, and I have a buddy who is a commercial parts manager for one of the chain auto parts stores, who gives me a discount. I hate to think what it would have cost to have somebody else do the work.

Offline geneg

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 08:42:47 AM »
To me the time sacrifice is well worth it.  I'd rather do it myself & get it right on the first shot or at least know why. Also I have control of the quality of parts used.   It seems like anything taken in to a shop takes several trips to get it completed.  But, we do have "several" spare vehicles so I have some flexibility if I don't get it done in a day or if I have to order parts.