Author Topic: I'm thinking about getting a small portable table saw  (Read 3200 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

I'm thinking about getting a small portable table saw
« on: June 09, 2021, 10:39:26 PM »
I don't have room for a regular full sized table saw nor do I need one quite that much, but I could certainly use at least a small table saw for odd things.

Can anyone recommend me a good one under $300 hopefully ?

It would just be for the small projects , say I wanted to make a plywood box or a picture frame or something.

I can manage with clamp on guides and stuff, but it gets kind of annoying.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 04:34:06 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: I'm thinking about getting a small portable table saw
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 04:38:13 PM »
I have been looking into the little Ryobi RTSO8,  and based on reviews I think it might be good enough for my needs and something I can use to learn the basics of table saws.
All I really want is something for simple small DIY projects, probably just 1" thick or less and most often less.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 04:55:06 PM »
a buddy has one of those el cheapo  table saws. it sounds like it is going to come apart every time you start it and the fence  is only attached on one side. other than the fact that it cuts wood it is a worthless piece of garbage. spend a little more on something with a decent fence and soft start. your sanity will thank me.   your idea of not needing  to cut more than 1 inch is  shortsighted. sooner rather than later you will want to some 2x material and you will bitch about not having the capacity.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 06:43:53 PM »
a buddy has one of those el cheapo  table saws. it sounds like it is going to come apart every time you start it and the fence  is only attached on one side. other than the fact that it cuts wood it is a worthless piece of garbage. spend a little more on something with a decent fence and soft start. your sanity will thank me.   your idea of not needing  to cut more than 1 inch is  shortsighted. sooner rather than later you will want to some 2x material and you will bitch about not having the capacity.
In the past 10 years the thickest thing I've needed to cut was 2×4 which I handled fine with my circular saw or miter box and backsaw.

I do know my needs and have a project limit in mind for this tool, but of course I don't not want something that's going to be terrible.

I will keep looking and decide on the best choice.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 07:08:55 PM »
 Being a metal worker, don't have many wood projects. This was given to me, has the same look as the Ryobi, but larger.

I've not built furniture, but have cut & laid server square feet of pergo flooring. Built a fair amount  odds and end.

It does a decent job cuts straight & clean, must be trued. High dollar blade does wonders.
Pay attention to material feed speed, listen to the motor, it starts to labor slow down.

Not a fan of Ryobi stuff generally speaking

Anyway just an example
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 07:14:32 PM »
I’ve got one of the cheapest portables made a real POS but I can leave it in a rental and it doesn’t walk away. I’ve built cabinets with it doors you name it. The saw is not my limiting factor. My only suggestion would be to get a 10in blade. No bigger or smaller. Cheaper than a 12 in blade and easily cut a 2x4

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 08:56:21 PM »
I’ve got one of the cheapest portables made a real POS but I can leave it in a rental and it doesn’t walk away. I’ve built cabinets with it doors you name it. The saw is not my limiting factor. My only suggestion would be to get a 10in blade. No bigger or smaller. Cheaper than a 12 in blade and easily cut a 2x4
I was thinking a 10" would probably be better .
The Ryobi RTS21G has been fairly well reviewed and it has the folding stand with it, I will look into this model a little more and see if anyone has found it accurate enough for simple stuff.
There are other brands, but they use rack and pinion adjustment which I don't really know much about and would rather stick to simplicity.

One thing I have noticed is the tendency for people to compare stuff like this to a regular full sized table saw and the tendency to recommend against these small saws thinking the potential buyer is looking at it as a cheaper alternative.

In my situation I don't have room for or really need a normal table saw at the moment,  just some table saw capability for small projects.

For example the other day I was making a simple box out of some 1×10×36 or so shelf boards i saved from an old cabinet I threw out.
Ripping the board down the middle and such was a bit annoying with the clamp on guide and circular saw.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 08:58:40 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 08:03:40 PM »
Same here Slip Knot, this saw was given to me, trued it bought a good blade. Have it for many years.

H&S might give some estate sales or craig a look? Most likely pick up something usable to fool around with. Take a chunk of wood with you and test. No plastic, metal table, look under it, motor mount and so on. Make sure it can move to adjust the blade

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 08:05:32 PM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 09:01:47 PM »
Thats the exact same saw I got. I think mine has a Mastercraft name.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2021, 03:57:06 PM »
Lets talk about table saws!  I have owned table saws for about 60 years, mostly cast iron carpenters saws.  I borrowed the first one to build a house.  Back then the fences were terrible and it was hard to get a perfect cut with that type of saw  The Craftsman saw I now have I bought new about 30 years ago with a quality fence.  This saw still does a fine job and I can built quality projects with it as long as I keep it trued up.  That is a key to any saw, keeping it trued up according to the instructions provided.  If the blade does not run true both horizontally and vertical you will never produce a quality job.  So, you don't have room for a large saw and from what you say, really don't need one.  Some of the smaller saws can do a good job, so check to see if it has provision for truing, a solid slide that can be adjusted and a fence that can be tightened from both ends so it stays solidly in place.  A 10 inch blade would be better than an 8, but may be hard to find in a small saw.  Get one with a stand and with as large a motor as possible and buy a quality blade.  And lastly, be careful when using your saw!!!!!!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 04:30:45 AM »
Lets talk about table saws!  I have owned table saws for about 60 years, mostly cast iron carpenters saws.  I borrowed the first one to build a house.  Back then the fences were terrible and it was hard to get a perfect cut with that type of saw  The Craftsman saw I now have I bought new about 30 years ago with a quality fence.  This saw still does a fine job and I can built quality projects with it as long as I keep it trued up.  That is a key to any saw, keeping it trued up according to the instructions provided.  If the blade does not run true both horizontally and vertical you will never produce a quality job.  So, you don't have room for a large saw and from what you say, really don't need one.  Some of the smaller saws can do a good job, so check to see if it has provision for truing, a solid slide that can be adjusted and a fence that can be tightened from both ends so it stays solidly in place.  A 10 inch blade would be better than an 8, but may be hard to find in a small saw.  Get one with a stand and with as large a motor as possible and buy a quality blade.  And lastly, be careful when using your saw!!!!!!
Good tips.
And absolutely safety is key.
I have no experience with a table saw, but I'm aware of the anti kickback teeth the riving knife and guard included with them being important safety devises as well as the push stick they include for those smaller pieces being cut.

Always lookin' to learn