Author Topic: I really feel terrible here and just don't know what to do.  (Read 2692 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

I really feel terrible here and just don't know what to do.
« on: December 25, 2021, 10:14:40 PM »
I am in quite a situation here.

My grandmother bought me a 3d printer for Christmas and it was an extremely thoughtful pricey gift, but I am just not good with computers at all.
I am so bad with computers that I do not even own one anymore and get all my internet use with my smartphone.
I understand that there are apps for using a 3d printer with a smartphone but I can't even watch what I assume is a flash drive with a basic starter how to video that it came with since I don't own a computer.

She talked with a friend who knows this stuff and they steered her towards the necessary accessories and the best beginner model thats supposed to be decent and easy to use and all that stuff but she did not realize how terrible I am at computer stuff.
I am pretty sure his definition of easy and simple...ect comes from the perspective of somebody with a little more than a very basic understanding of how to click a mouse and poke at a keyboard to search Google.
I haven't done more than that on a computer since high school, and even then the most most complicated thing I did was make basic PowerPoint presentations.

I believe he would have recommended against getting me a 3d printer if he had known how little knowledge/ interest in computers and such I actually have.

I truly appreciate the thought behind this gift,  but I have never once imagined myself owning a 3d printer because I do not believe I am remotely tech savvy enough to use it.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: I really feel terrible here and just don't know what to do.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 11:43:00 PM »
In looking into things, it seems with this model you basically put your file of the item to print on an included micro SD card then put that card into the printer and Bob's you're uncle.

It's starting to sound more like something I could actually do, but it's still going to be very limited for me.

I will only be limited to print files I can buy or download for free, because theres no way in a million years I could ever design a thing myself to print.
Maybe if I got a computer theres a very easy program design program I could figure out how to poorly use.

However I really didn't have much intention of buying another computer, maybe I'll have to get a cheap laptop or possibly one of those tablet laptop combo deals.

I truly never once desired to own a 3d printer, but I'm pretty much stuck here.
I will give it my best go and maybe I'll figure it out in time to print my grandmother something for her birthday, I'm just stuck here and feel so terrible.

I understand that the thing comes with a test file and will print out a little dog or something so you can see if you've got the platton thing leveled and adjusted properly.

If anyone's interested in whether a dumbass like me can figure out a thing like this maybe I'll keep you all updated.

Boy I sure wish she had just bought me some wool socks, you can behave too many good pairs of socks.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 04:19:49 AM »
I think you will find many uses once you get it figured out given the fact that you like to tinker and modify things

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 09:29:05 AM »
I think you will find many uses once you get it figured out given the fact that you like to tinker and modify things
That was the very sentiment behind the gift.

The worry I'm having is that it seems one needs to be computer savvy enough to design their own things  if they hope to do anything productive with a 3d printer,  if you cant do that it seems one can just make novelties and trinkets.

I have to look into it more, but maybe if I get some kind of computer like device that can utilize a mouse ( I assume that's the key here ) I will discover that it's easier than I imagine.

Right now there is one thing I wouldn't mind being able to make, and that's a screwdriver handle or even just a finger ratchet housing for the head of this titan micro roto head ratchet that I had previously cut down.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 11:14:24 AM »
That does put you in a tough spot. Your Grandmother may have assumed you are like most young men today who are very computer savvy and spend lots of time using them.
Your choices are to learn how to use it, put it aside for now or tell your Grandmother that while that is a great gift and very heartfelt it just isn't something that you will use.
I know that you don't want to hurt her feelings or seem ungrateful. Only you know how she would respond to being told the truth. This is a personal decision for you to make and I hope whatever you decide works out fine.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 02:38:49 PM »
In looking into the thing further I have learned that using a 3d printer is actually pretty easy for basic stuff, just download the file to a micro SD card, insert it and initiate the print.

It's the designing and drawing things that I will probably struggle a bit with, but I think I will have to just try.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 02:48:13 PM »
what better reason to get a computer and learn. There are all kinds of cool things you can make with a 3D printer. I've been buying clutch alignment tools from a guy who makes them on a 3D printer. A guy at work got one for Christmas and he was telling me there are tons of free plans on the webs.

At this point not having a computer isn't an option. and I was the guy who bailed on auto mechanics back in the 80s because they were going computer. Now I'm working on our SCADA systems all the time. You just got to jump in.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 09:43:28 PM »
There can be a lot to successful 3D printing, but it's just like anything else - learn to crawl, then walk and eventually you'll be running without realizing it.  What brand and model did she get you?

In my last office we had a couple 3D printers but nobody knew how to use them.  It took a lot of experimenting, trial and error and printing trinkets but eventually some good stuff started coming out.  Yes, there are lots of free files available on the internet and some of them may be items you might find a local market for (to help offset the cost of learning!). 

There are also 3D scanners capable of turning objects into printable files.  Obviously there are limitations there and usually a need to understand how to edit the file to finish connecting lines.

I'd say you can either jump in...unbox it and start having a bit of fun playing with it...or talk to her about how much better a mig welder or something would serve your needs and interests.

Keep us posted!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 11:07:31 PM »
Right now there is one thing I wouldn't mind being able to make, and that's a screwdriver handle or even just a finger ratchet housing for the head of this titan micro roto head ratchet that I had previously cut down.

Take that pivoting head out of the stub and try finding a thrust collar you could pop it into.

https://www.simsupply.com/departments/consumer/power-transmission/shaft/climax-metal-products-shaftcollar-std-setscrew-5-8inoutsidedia-c-031-a-c-031-a-zo-g2668508/?wi=off&CATARGETID=120012830002322548&CADevice=c

Or you could add a "handle" made from some 2-part epoxy for added grip. I got a stub of a ratchet and did that.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 04:27:10 AM »

Take that pivoting head out of the stub and try finding a thrust collar you could pop it into.

https://www.simsupply.com/departments/consumer/power-transmission/shaft/climax-metal-products-shaftcollar-std-setscrew-5-8inoutsidedia-c-031-a-c-031-a-zo-g2668508/?wi=off&CATARGETID=120012830002322548&CADevice=c

Or you could add a "handle" made from some 2-part epoxy for added grip. I got a stub of a ratchet and did that.
I cut it down because I had a stubby driver handle on it at one time.

I thought about just finding some kind of bushing or collar...ect it would fit in but I figured if whatever I used was smooth with no grip I might as well just use the head on it's own as is.

Now I'm thinking a couple of pins pressed into the pivot holes could be just enough to grip onto for a micro finger ratchet.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 04:29:06 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 06:21:40 PM »
Lots of ways to skin a cat!   :93:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 07:07:56 PM »
Lots of ways to skin a cat!   :93:
I'll bet just putting a piece of shrink tube around it would work too.

I am thinking I will probably save this as a goal to learn the whole 3d printing thing and how to design files so I can create a housing for this.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2021, 06:40:40 PM »
I have an inexpensive refurb laptop coming from Dell that will at least be enough to use for existing 3d printer files ( a more advanced computer is apparently necessary for designing things).
A member of another forum I'm on has the same printer and will be able to help me get started.

I don't know if I'll ever he interested enough in tech and computers to do a lot with this whole thing, but I'm going to give it an honest try.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2021, 08:11:03 PM »
That is a great decision and I wish you the best of luck. I probably would have really put one to work 20 years ago.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2021, 09:41:14 PM »
I think you'll be amazed at what is available online already to make, no design work needed.