Author Topic: Pry bars  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Jamesyarbrough

Pry bars
« on: August 24, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »
Need some good pry bars. Regular handle type, ladys foot, alignment,  etc.

What do you guys recommend? Looking for good usa stuff that wont break the bank

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Pry bars
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 11:15:54 AM »
I like the Hyper Tough pry bars from Walmart. They are made in the USA and have striking caps so you won't shatter the handle if you hit it with a hammer. They have four different lengths with the most expensive being the 25" for just under $10. I have used the heck out of the 25" I bought earlier this year.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 11:59:03 AM »
I've used and like the Mayhew Dominator set.

https://www.tooltopia.com/mayhew-tools-81347.aspx
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 12:04:57 PM »
I like the Hyper Tough pry bars from Walmart. They are made in the USA and have striking caps so you won't shatter the handle if you hit it with a hammer. They have four different lengths with the most expensive being the 25" for just under $10. I have used the heck out of the 25" I bought earlier this year.

Hmmm. Sounds alot like the tekton.  I may go by walmart and check that out

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 07:09:48 PM »

Did a little looking. Those arr made by wilde. The price was right. For $10 i bought 2! One for work and one for home. Also got an american made 12 inch demo bar for $5.

Not too shabby. Thanks for the heds up

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 10:19:53 AM »

edit to remove non image related link
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 10:22:48 PM by J.A.F.E. »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 11:02:44 AM »
Great pry bars! I wish they'd been available much sooner. Years ago I bought the Sears versions (plastic handle w/o striking caps), and they were a steal. I then had to opt for the Sears (Mayhew) striking cap versions because the plastic handle models couldn't take the beating(s) I was inflicting on them.

This is a primo set.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 07:15:07 PM »
Glad those prybars will work for you James. It is surprising the good USA tools and other stuff you can find at Walmart if you look at labels. We needed some new baking sheets a couple of years ago and found a USA 3pc set for cheaper than buying the China ones. They are still perfect after over 2 yrs of use.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 07:18:53 PM »
Glad those prybars will work for you James. It is surprising the good USA tools and other stuff you can find at Walmart if you look at labels. We needed some new baking sheets a couple of years ago and found a USA 3pc set for cheaper than buying the China ones. They are still perfect after over 2 yrs of use.
I'm one usually to dismiss the local big-box or big retailer for things I need but have found that it is worth a check for quality items at good prices.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 07:50:06 PM »
walmart has actually made a big commitment recently to have many things manufactured or at least assembled here.

Hell last week I saw USA made Rugs at Walmart for a great price, not that I need Rugs.
HDPE cutting boards comparable in price to Chinese ones, you name it, they've got Great prices on lodge cast iron as well as the other iconic US made kitchenware brands.
I bought a nice US made hi-temp spatula to flip my grilled cheese with for 99¢ at Walmart a few months ago.
Even some pretty nice US made foam rubber sandals were $5 last year, and they've got US Made rubber boots too ( I would guess Lacrosse, but I suppose anyone capable of producing them could have )
I still have yet to buy any of those automotive prybars , but I did buy that particular Dasco as well as some other Dasco stuff there for an excellent price.
Though they're of no interest to me, they've got US made plastic toolboxes under the Hyper Tough brand which I'm pleased to see not positive but I'm guessing they could be sourced by Contico.

Yes I have a problem, MADE IN USA means so much to me that I take a mental note or every American made product I come across for sale.
I honestly have fun looking through Walmart and seeing the things that are suprisingly US made that you would not expect to be, lots of moulded plastic stuff like bowls cups and containers but still fun for me to discover.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 07:55:06 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 09:13:50 PM »
walmart has actually made a big commitment recently to have many things manufactured or at least assembled here.

Hell last week I saw USA made Rugs at Walmart for a great price, not that I need Rugs.
HDPE cutting boards comparable in price to Chinese ones, you name it, they've got Great prices on lodge cast iron as well as the other iconic US made kitchenware brands.
I bought a nice US made hi-temp spatula to flip my grilled cheese with for 99¢ at Walmart a few months ago.
Even some pretty nice US made foam rubber sandals were $5 last year, and they've got US Made rubber boots too ( I would guess Lacrosse, but I suppose anyone capable of producing them could have )
I still have yet to buy any of those automotive prybars , but I did buy that particular Dasco as well as some other Dasco stuff there for an excellent price.
Though they're of no interest to me, they've got US made plastic toolboxes under the Hyper Tough brand which I'm pleased to see not positive but I'm guessing they could be sourced by Contico.

Yes I have a problem, MADE IN USA means so much to me that I take a mental note or every American made product I come across for sale.
I honestly have fun looking through Walmart and seeing the things that are suprisingly US made that you would not expect to be, lots of moulded plastic stuff like bowls cups and containers but still fun for me to discover.

Thanks.  Now i habe to go threw all the walmart tool boxes...and if i find one thats made in usa ill have to buy it! :D

But i dont mind supporting us workers. As a matter of fact i feel proud to do so.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 10:16:47 PM »

Thanks.  Now i habe to go threw all the walmart tool boxes...and if i find one thats made in usa ill have to buy it! :D

But i dont mind supporting us workers. As a matter of fact i feel proud to do so.
I think it's mostly just little ones for under $10, but I don't pay a lot of attention to the boxes.
Even if that is the case you can use it in a car trunk or something.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 07:36:05 AM »
I have the 4 bars ftom walmart. Good so far and compliment my cman bars. I saw that the same bar is available at menards in a 3 pc set with green handles and the.masterforce label.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 09:58:15 PM »
Killer deal there for the guys that are not already set. I like the ones with the striking caps.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 05:02:19 AM »
I have the 4 bars ftom walmart. Good so far and compliment my cman bars. I saw that the same bar is available at menards in a 3 pc set with green handles and the.masterforce label.

I prefer the green myself.