Author Topic: 10-Speed Bicycles  (Read 2720 times)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
10-Speed Bicycles
« on: September 11, 2020, 11:39:28 AM »
One of my friends had a Motobecane which looked so sleek and fast with its 10-speed that my Schwinn seemed like a Model T in comparison. I remember wanting a 10-speed bike sooooo bad to replace my Schwinn American and finding all these advertisements in Boy's Life.  Never did get one before I headed off to my Air Force adventure.

Later in life I did get a Raleigh Record Ace and now use an older Jamis Comet on the street and a fine Klien on the trails.

Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Re: 10-Speed Bicycles
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 11:40:54 AM »
and of course we all wanted to score like Broadway Joe!
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 03:24:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing!

Bikes (both pedal and motorized) are one of my many passions. Lets just say since I am oldNslo now, that I have been riding since I was youngNfast. I can talk all day long about them (kinda like tools), but I do share your passion for (selected) Schwinn products, and do have a vintage Raleigh to boast of, in my collection of (mostly) road bikes.

Just two weeks ago, I purchased a Paramount, of which I have been a long time admirer of, and it will be finely cared for during my stewardship of this before I become expiredN6footunder.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 04:47:02 PM »
I have a Peugeot or two somewhere in storage
jack

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 05:26:10 PM »

This is my current 10-speed, though it doesn't get ridden enough. I also have my old Peugeot UO-8 in the back of a the garage. I need to replace the deraiuers on it, as it still has the original Hurets and as much as I like them, French mechs should only be on French bikes. (They are made to fit true metric sized tubing, which every other bike, Japanese, Italian, English and so on, is sized to English dimensions.)

Bikes are about the only wheeled thing I work on any more. I have my Raleighs, both ten and three speed, Hercules, Peugeot, and Schwinn; American and Town and Country.

(forgot to put the pic in...)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 04:39:40 PM by bmwrd0 »

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 05:27:43 PM »
Ahh, Boys Life magazine,  tortured the kids that couldnt rub 2 dollar bills together.   Was completely surprised when the folks  presented me with a new Hiawatha cruiser at Christmas.   Wore the tires out on that bike.  Wasnt a 10 spd, or 3 spd,  but was new and red.   Years later a bike ride was organized here,  the Salvation Army had a glut of bikes cheap.   Looked over almost 40 bikes, and spied a Schwinn.  26 in, 10 spd, Varsity in unmolested condition.   Was and still is the smoothest thing I have ridden.  Original tires even.  Did some riding, life got busy, hung it up in the shop.   On occasion would grab a Raleigh 10, UK built.   Stopped at the local thrift,  was given 3 or 4 bikes because they were out of room.  Was at a swap meet,  sold some cruisers,  then had my arm twisted to just take this fellows bikes,  then loaded one up left leaning on a dumpster.  Got them stashed in the barn.  The Hiawatha and the Schwin are in the basement, waiting.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 06:25:03 PM »
Aha!

I sure dont want to detract from the OP share and comments, but I sense a "show your 10sp" thread coming along. :)

I too own a Peugeot, dated somewhere along the 1966 era, as there are not good records on serial numbers and years back then. Its a PX-10 with the 531 tubing. I have rescued it, but kept the patina on it and polished out some aluminum bits. Its a great rider that I'm sure has some former stories it can tell.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 09:09:34 AM »
Ahh, Boys Life magazine,  tortured the kids that couldnt rub 2 dollar bills together.   
You got that right!  My paper route and yard mowing income weren't enough for a new bike.

Remember the "chopper" phase?  Don't remember the drum front brake on the Schwinn.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 09:15:14 AM »
Raleigh had a number of models with the Sturmey Archer setup.  I don't remember any of these probably because Schwinn had the only shop in town.
Nick
Yorktown, VA