Author Topic: John Deere 503 rotary cutter  (Read 3986 times)

Offline m_fumich

John Deere 503 rotary cutter
« on: March 11, 2019, 09:08:48 AM »
One of my first projects this year will be to refurbish a John Deere 503 rotary cutter that was left behind by the previous homeowner. I will be checking to see that the gearbox works before I start but I don’t anticipate any issues. I do have some questions I was hoping you guys can help me with. Here’s it is as it sits by my barn now.

I found some pics online in an attempt to see how it should look and I’m not convinced that what I saw is how mine should be. My main concern is the top hitch of the 3-point hitch. You can see how mine is now.

This is what I found online. Is that right?

Also, where can I find new decals for the sides and the warning decals as well?

Other than cleaning and repainting, there’s just one small area on the back that needs to be welded and a dent to straighten. I’m hoping to fix that so that it appears never to have been broken in the first place.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline m_fumich

Re: John Deere 503 rotary cutter
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 10:36:25 AM »
I found a parts list and diagram. This model was sold from 1985-1994. The 2 straps (part #3) and the spacer (part #4) would cost $105 to replace from the dealer. I assume the hole in the end of the long strap (part #8) is the same size as the hole in each end of the missing straps. I just need to know how long the small straps are and how wide the spacer is.

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 01:15:37 PM »
Your local Deere dealer is gonna be your best bet, especially for the deacals.

If your looking for just dimensions, try and find a used equipment dealer locally that has one and go measure the needed parts. Most won't have a problem with that.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 01:22:22 PM »
I found one of the 2 missing straps. I can duplicate that. John Deere wants big money for those decals but none one else has them. Almost all the original decals are missing. I’m not concerned about having them if I sell it. I just want to do a COMPLETE restoration which would require ALL the decals.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 03:50:04 PM »
The only part really critical to replace is the data plate. make sure it stays on the cutter so you can get the correct parts for it. I go thru a lot of these things and not having the model no can be a PITA with parts. Most of the driveline is a generic system. used on lots of different cutters but the parts guy have to have the no. nowdays.

That cutter was a lower priced model, I wouldn't put a lot of time in restoring it. just weld it up and use it.