Author Topic: Bonney tool comparisons  (Read 14149 times)

Offline bonneyman

Bonney tool comparisons
« on: August 19, 2018, 04:20:16 PM »
Bonney is one of those tool company that has a "love em or hate em" reputation. There are mechanics who collect and use Bonney tools with a passion, and then there are other mechanics who - though they know tools and have been around for years - have never heard of Bonney. One tool guy even asked my to spell the name when asking if he had any, while another tool store told me "Harbor Freight is down the street!" when I inquired about Bonney! For awhile there this ambiguity served me well in my search for specific tools, because the name flew under the radar and I could get stuff cheap. Not so much anymore.

Inevitably Bonney gets compared to other brands (especially Snap-On), and arguments flare up about which is better. I don't want to have that happen here. What I'd like to do is take other brands of which I own and put them up side-by-side with the corresponding Bonney tool and see how they compare. It's not a scientific project - just and overview of what I see and feel with the tools. Those looking over the pics can make their own judgements.
As I acquire more tools I'll post up more comparisons. Stay tuned! ;D

First up is a pair of angle wrenches, a Matco and a Bonney. Bonney supposedly made tools for Matco at one point, and of the few tools I've had a chance to look at the similarities are undeniable. I don't know when Bonney started and stopped making Matco-badged tools (if anyone can enlighten me, please do!), but those trying to get a specific Bonney tool might be able to secure the Matco equivalent and get basically the same tool.

Here is a pair of angle wrenches in 15 mm. There's no mistaking Bonney made these tools. Overlaying one on top of the other reveals the use of similar dies, and the grayish color of the chrome is a dead giveaway from Bonney.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:58:42 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Bonney tool comparisons
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 04:20:52 PM »
Overlayed wrenches.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 04:27:08 PM »
The metric double box end Bonney 13mm x 15mm was the most difficult wrench of all for me to get. Took 10 years of diligent effort. In the meantime, the empty peg on the board just bugged me, so, I bought a used Snap-On 13 x15 to act as a stop-gap tool. Once I got the Bonney I decided to keep the S-O as a back-up and spare. 13 and 15 mm are very common nut sizes, so, both wrenches get good use. As I recall the S-O cost me $18, the Bonney $27.

I won't comment on the finish, as the Bonney was NOS and the S-O used when I got them. The Snappy is a bit longer overall, and the offset bend is less sharp and more rounded. That'll give it a bit more leverage than the Bonney, and the smoother angle transition - along with more metal in that area - probably distributes the forces better from the head to the shank when under load.
The box end thickness is a bit less but it's also bit taller (from the side profile), so I would assume the strength of both is comparable. Bonney made the box wall thicker but less tall, S-O chose the reverse. If the alloy steels were similar I'd say which one you grabbed would be dictated by the particular job at hand. Though the thinness of the Snappy sure seems advantageous in tight quarters.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:49:48 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
In a similar vein is a pair of S-O and Bonney, both 15mm combo. Again, the S-O is significantly longer than the same mm Bonney. It appears the shanks are very close to the same thickness, although the box end itself is a bit taller on the Bonney. Additionally, the offset angle is forged into the Bonney at the 15 deg angle - the Snappy box almost appears to have been forged straight on and then it was bent to get the offset.

For all practical purposes how a manufacturer gets the desired 15 deg offset (i.e. for knuckle clearance) is immaterial so long as the strength is unaffected. (Barcalo used the very unusual process of forging the box end on straight - and then offsetting the broaching by 15 degrees)!  :o
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:51:44 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 04:35:31 PM »
A closeup of the broaching: the Loc-Rite Bonney is on the bottom, with S-O's Flank Drive on top.
In reality the Flank drive has several angles and flat surfaces forged in (which are hard to see) to grab the fastener away from the corners while providing a wide contact area to distribute torque. Loc-Rite is a simpler rounded "lobe" system that conforms to AS-954 (an aerospace requirement) that focused mainly on applying torque away from the corners of a fastener. Though it did increase the contact area over "normal" wrenches, that was a secondary concern (if one at all) back then.
A photo shows very little discernible difference to the naked eye.
Here are the patents and drawings:
Loc-Rite   -   https://patents.google.com/patent/US3125910
Flank Drive  -  https://patents.google.com/patent/US3273430
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 10:10:00 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 04:41:43 PM »
A recent Martin combo wrench in 7/16" above a Bonney. The finish seems very rough on the Martin, even next to the second-tier satin Bonney. Though the open end is not the Hex-Fit triangular style, the box end appears to be Loc-Rite. This would be the first non-Bonney tool that I've seen with honest to goodness Loc-Right broaching (unless Bonney made this tool for Martin).
The Bonney is significantly longer and the box end wall might be a tad thicker.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:55:15 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 04:48:05 PM »
7/16" angle wrenches. Bonney utilizes the "standard" 60 deg + 15 deg offsets, while Snap-On uses a 60 deg + 30 deg. S-O claims that this allows more chances of getting a grip in tough situations. I haven't used my angle wrenches enough in really tight quarters to validate this. The times I have used angle wrenches having to flip the Bonney wrench twice to get 30 deg on the one side hasn't been a problem.
The Snappy is a bit longer, but angle wrenches aren't high torque tools, so, more leverage isn't really an issue. Perhaps reach?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:59:40 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 04:50:42 PM »
The Bonney (on top) has a slightly thicker head. Again, being these types of tools aren't used in high torque situations a thicker, stronger head isn't a primary concern. Though the longer AND thinner head on the Snap-On might prove to be just the needed edge in a make or break spot.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:53:19 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 11:23:56 AM »
For all practical purposes how a manufacturer gets the desired 15 deg offset (i.e. for knuckle clearance) is immaterial so long as the strength is unaffected. (Barcalo used the very unusual process of forging the box end on straight - and then offsetting the broaching by 15 degrees)! :o

I happened to find some pics of this aforementioned Barcalo broaching. To get the desired offset they forged the box end onto the shank straight (they claimed this avoids the weakening bend) and offset the broaching instead. From the side the box end is very noticeably tapered. These wrenches are also know for their "scooped" box ends, and is characteristic of Barcalo-made tools (like Powercraft). Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:13:25 PM by bonneyman »

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 02:21:51 PM »
I have a set of the Matco/Bonney double angle wrenches. They are absolutely fine tools. Comparable to snappy in fit and finish. My issue with them is the angle on the head. Matco is 15/60 and snappy is 30/60. That 30 degree head is an absolute life saver sometime. You already have the 15 deg head on all the regular combos, so it's just redundant, and sometimes you need something in-between. I figured snappy had patent on the 30/60 combination or something.

The V-mouth works well when you can get all the way on the hex. Snappy offered their double angle wrenches in FD+ for a very limited time. I always wondered why they discontinued them? Weathered, old hydraulic fitting need all the bite you can get, and usually in a funky spot, hence the use of the angle wrench. I've literally jumped on the ends of the Bonney wrenches on fittings, and haven't broken one yet.

Greyson

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 03:06:16 PM »
Thanks B-man for pointing out the angle of the Barcalo broaching as I never gave much thought to the scooped box ends. Here is a shot of a Barcalo made but Crescent branded 15/16" combo. I have a small Barcalo 6pt combo done the same way. I think it gives the box end a cleaner look with the angled broaching.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 04:01:41 PM »
Thanks B-man for pointing out the angle of the Barcalo broaching as I never gave much thought to the scooped box ends. Here is a shot of a Barcalo made but Crescent branded 15/16" combo. I have a small Barcalo 6pt combo done the same way. I think it gives the box end a cleaner look with the angled broaching.

Nice shot of the scoop!  8)

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 04:03:39 PM »
I have a set of the Matco/Bonney double angle wrenches. They are absolutely fine tools. Comparable to snappy in fit and finish. My issue with them is the angle on the head. Matco is 15/60 and snappy is 30/60. That 30 degree head is an absolute life saver sometime. You already have the 15 deg head on all the regular combos, so it's just redundant, and sometimes you need something in-between. I figured snappy had patent on the 30/60 combination or something.

The V-mouth works well when you can get all the way on the hex. Snappy offered their double angle wrenches in FD+ for a very limited time. I always wondered why they discontinued them? Weathered, old hydraulic fitting need all the bite you can get, and usually in a funky spot, hence the use of the angle wrench. I've literally jumped on the ends of the Bonney wrenches on fittings, and haven't broken one yet.

Greyson

Isn't that the open end with the "teeth"? If so, even Snap-On recommended you use another open end if you didn't want to damage the finish, as those teeth cut into the fastener and that's where the extra grip came from. Maybe folks didn't want the bite marks?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 04:10:46 PM by bonneyman »

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 05:17:20 PM »
I think the bite marks were the reason. I don't know if the snap on VS/VSM series was offered both ways during the period. I generally work on greasy, rusty, heavier stuff and the marks just blend in where the last guy used a cold chisel to break it loose.

Greyson

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 06:49:41 PM »
I think the bite marks were the reason. I don't know if the snap on VS/VSM series was offered both ways during the period. I generally work on greasy, rusty, heavier stuff and the marks just blend in where the last guy used a cold chisel to break it loose.

Greyson

I considered the FD+ angle Snappy's when I first saw them, as that was the first open end with an enhanced grip I'd seen. But since most of my flare fittings were aluminum or brass I didn't think my customers would like the teeth marks. Also chromed fittings under the hood were a miss, too. In the end I just grabbed the Bonney's I could and keep my eyes open for some of the larger ones.