Author Topic: Cordless Tool Dilemma  (Read 3548 times)

Offline muddy

Cordless Tool Dilemma
« on: May 05, 2020, 09:03:38 PM »
So I have a 14.4v Snap-On Drill and Impact I use at work. I keep three battery one in each of the tools, and one in the charger. The batteries are in need of rebuild. For about $150 I can rebuild all three batteries. The drill and impact seem to run great.

Now at home I have a Milwaukee 12v hammer drill that sits at home and doesn't get much use. For about $180 I could pickup a impact that'll work with those batteries and I'd basically have a brand new drill and impact.

So the question is what would you do? One part I see no sense in not rebuilding the batteries and keep using the Snap-On. On the other hand when will the drill and/or impact die and then I'm stuck with another bill to rebuild the tool.

Also who doesn't like new toys....I mean tools!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: Cordless Tool Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 09:22:33 PM »
I have the same snappy drill and impact. They live at home, but get considerable use. The batteries were shot after about 7 years of light use. Rebuilding them was absolutely worth it for me. I think the snappy drill has a better chuck than any of the Milwaukee iterations. You could fix up a couple of the snappy batteries and take the pair home and the milwaukee to work. I love the impact for driving wood screws over the drill.

Offline walrus

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 03:28:41 AM »
I doubt 12v Milwaukee is going to cut the cake for you at work. 18v milwaukee stuff probably would. Make sure its Fuel stuff not the older Milwaukee stuff.  I'm a huge fan of Milwaukee cordless tools, I have 2 that suck, 12v inspection camera, boroscope I guess, sucks. 18v 3/8 right angle impact, a 12v Fuel ratchet has more torque than that impact. its a piece of shit.  18v Drills, circular saws, hammer drills, sawzalls, impacts in fuel all rule.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 07:58:48 AM »
14.4v snap on? That is pretty old technology.  Both in the tools and the batteries. I would think a jump to a newer 18 or 20v max system would  be worth it. I use the yellow but I dont  think any of the colors would be bad.

I have even seen and heard really good stuff about the new  craftsman.  Some of it looks like. Dewalt clones and some of it looks like unique tools.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline GNAP

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 08:23:26 AM »
I have them in the shop and service truck, I just wish I could rely on battery tools for 100% of my work. I use the battery tools for about 20-30% time, for what we do, the remainder of the time, corded tools are necessary. The batteries just don’t last long enough and do not have the grunt of the corded tools, some of the max cordless power tools are so heavy, they are unrealistic. I go on these construction jobs and the number of battery chargers far out number the people working on the site. Battery technology is getting closer to corded as time goes on, but they are not there yet.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 07:36:48 AM by GNAP »
jack

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 09:21:56 AM »
For about $150 I can rebuild all three batteries.

You could probably rebuild them yourself for $50 or less. Ray had a how to on the old site but I'm not sure if it's been re-done here.

I would think a jump to a newer 18 or 20v max system would  be worth it. I use the yellow but I dont  think any of the colors would be bad.

Agreed on stepping up to 18/20v if not going the battery rebuild route. Yellow is definitely worth considering for mechanic work because it interchanges with MAC which adds a few options which aren't part of the Dewalt line.

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 09:22:36 AM »
Thanks guys the drill and impact I'd be "upgrading" too us a 12v fuel. And the impact would be the 3/8 stubby.

I was concerned about power as well, however it's seems automotive guys love them and they have 250 lb ft of breakaway torque. That's pretty good for 3/8.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:27:39 AM by muddy »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 09:51:17 AM »
I have them in the shop and service truck, I just wish I could rely on battery tools for 100% of my work. I use the battery tools for about 20-30% time, for what we do, the remainder of the time, corded tools are necessary. The batteries just don’t last long enough and do not have the grunt of the corded tools, some of the max cordless power tools are so heavy, they are unrealistic. I go on these construction jobs and the number of battery chargers far out number the people working on the site.Battery technology is getting closer to cordless as time goes on, but they are not there yet.

Agreed.

Offline walrus

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 06:13:54 AM »
The only corded tools in my truck are a heat gun and heat blanket for bending PVC conduit. The most used cordless tool is a M12 1/4 drive impact. M18 drill, sawzall and grinder are next out of the truck.

Offline highland512

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 07:41:42 AM »

I have them in the shop and service truck, I just wish I could rely on battery tools for 100% of my work. I use the battery tools for about 20-30% time, for what we do, the remainder of the time, corded tools are necessary. The batteries just don’t last long enough and do not have the grunt of the corded tools, some of the max cordless power tools are so heavy, they are unrealistic. I go on these construction jobs and the number of battery chargers far out number the people working on the site.Battery technology is getting closer to cordless as time goes on, but they are not there yet.

We have went almost exclusively cordless on our sites. The safety man was the real push behind but most of the guys prefer it, I dont mind it, and the safety guy is happy. You would think its a major cost to upgrade but its not, by the time you figure how much labor you spend daily dragging out cords and generators and putting up the cords and generators it don't take to many days to pay for the tools and 2x batteries. I set one of our lead carpenters up with a Dewalt worm drive saw with the new 60v flex battery and a sds drill, he is cutting and drilling all day on one battery. I would argue the day where cordless replaces cords is here and gone.