Author Topic: Generator recomendation  (Read 5498 times)

Offline bmwrd0

Generator recomendation
« on: October 25, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »
The wife has mentioned that we need a generator and being one who tends to like things like this, I am looking. But, I don't know anything about gensets, so, what should I be looking for? Its just the two of us, two small chest freezers, and a need for AC due to medical reasons. Also, keeping a refrigerator running and a few lights going and phones charged would be nice.

So, who makes a good one?

How much should I pay?

I can figure out watt ratings and work back from there to find something in the right range, but am I missing a safety buffer?

This is what I am looking at:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664805_200664805?cm_mmc=Bing-pla&utm_source=Bing_PLA&utm_medium=Generators%20%3E%20Portable%20Generators&utm_campaign=Powerhorse&utm_content=750137&msclkid=3ad89dd146a51d7881c6c251a51075c0

But I have never bought from Northern tool, and if I am dropping that much cash, I don't want to deal with a huge hassle if it doesn't work as I want it too.

Thanks in advance guys!

Oh, one other thing, I hate Honda products and will not buy one.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Generator recomendation
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 01:48:45 PM »
This is never an easy subject simply because of the number of variables that one needs to consider.

1) Are you installing an auxiliary panel with a transfer switch? (this cuts the main house panel and provides a separate auxiliary panel for generator power
    circuits) I highly recommend you do this install so you can easily run needed circuits in your house, AND you don't backfeed into the power mains during an
    outage. It's also much easier to run your household without stringing miles of extension cords all over the place.

2) When you say "needed AC" are you talking about a window unit? if not, then running central heating and/or AC will require a higher amp 220v output
    capability and that usually means a generator in the 6-8KW running range, but you need to check the specs of the AC compressor to make sure it will
    start. Some will require a hard start box (aka boost kit) to make it work with generator power.

3) No budget generator will run your entire home, and you need a list of your power requirements (watts and amps) so that you know for sure which appliances
    can be run on what specific circuits. Knowing this info will help you eliminate the power hogs during an outage and will prevent circuit overloads and/or
    tripping breakers at the panel or the generator. For example -- a simple little Keurig style coffee maker is a huge power hog, and can trip a breaker very easily
    if the circuit is already loaded with a refrigerator or other kitchen appliance.
    Make a spreadsheet and enter all the wattage and amp requirements per needed circuit to see where your potential overloads are. Then balance the loads
    accordingly. Once balanced, you can have the auxiliary panel and generator unit sized to fit your spreadsheet.

Good luck!!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 02:06:10 PM by goodfellow »

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 01:49:13 PM »
Subscribed .
Here you go and a bonus you get a sweet ol Detroit diesel to boot.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/hvo/d/tacoma-30-kw-diesel-gen-set/7201669641.html.

I`d like to know how many kw`s a bloke needs need?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 06:18:32 PM by jabberwoki »
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 04:01:32 PM »
I am just guessing but my experience tells me you need something in 8000 watt range. To run a couple freezers, a fridge and an ac unit.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 04:20:22 PM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 04:49:03 PM »
I can figure out watt ratings and work back from there to find something in the right range, but am I missing a safety buffer?

What you're likely to "miss" is surge capacity for starting motors. The AC is probably the largest although that'll depend on what kind of AC you have. If it's inverter driven mini split or high end central it won't have any significant inrush.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 04:52:23 PM »
The A/C will be the big load. A hard start kit will help the A/C but the generator is still gonna have to pick up the end rush current and carry it. If you’ve got a newer inverter A/C unit it’s a lot easier to start those. The easiest way is to do a limited transfer switch. Where only some demands are sent to generator power.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 05:19:08 PM »
I know you said no honda.

But, I have a northern tools 8000 watt. Cage, tank and generater head made in usa. Powered by a gx390 honda. It has been rock solid. I have had it for close to15 years and it has sat for at least 6 months and always started on the first or second pull. It powered my farm for a week after an ice storm when I bought it.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 05:46:54 PM »
Do you have a well?

What kind of heat?

Sump pumps?

Is this for use when you are at home, or to run the house when you are away?

Do you have natural gas or propane?

Will your wife have to start and connect it if you are away?

You linked to a 2KW generator.  That is on the smaller side, but if 2KW will meet your needs, then that is what you want.  Larger ones use more fuel, and therefore more trips to the gas station.  In that size I would recommend an inverter generator.  They are quieter, and use less fuel.  Most non inverter generators are two pole generators and therefore run at 3600 rpm (LOUD) to make 60 hertz AC.

My house came with a Generic natural gas 16KW genset.  It is set to start when the power goes out.  I was away for a few days, and my neighbor told me it ran for 9 hours.  The generator was making 16,000 watts for 9 hours, and I was using about 20 - 50 watts the entire time.  They sell a cell phone interface for it, I might have to check into that.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 05:49:29 PM »
and a need for AC due to medical reasons.

Did you mean Air Conditioning or Alternating Current?

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 06:58:44 PM »
Any 240 volt loads, or all 120v?

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 07:47:46 PM »
Thanks, everyone, but maybe a little more information is needed for you guys. Basically, after the power shutoffs in California over the last few years, my wife and I wonder if Oregon will do the same thing, which wouldn't be surprising considering our governor. So, we want to make sure that the food we put away will not spoil, and the small AC unit will keep me cool, as I have MS and high temps are a killer on me.

So, The AC is little more than a window unit, although it looks better. 1270 watts. And this is the only one I would worry about inrush amps, but that is not listed.

Two freezers, 5 cubic feet each (only things that will fit in the basement) 300 watts altogether

Refrigerator, which is only listed as 4040KwH per year. But, breaking it down is 45 watts I think. Not sure if I did that calc correctly, it has been a while since HVAC trade school.

Other than that, I just want to be able to power a light or two and recharge phones and laptops.

We would only be worried for a few days at a time, so a lot of the plans for adding a panel are a little overkill for what I want. Again, it is just to run the basics and enough to keep food from spoiling. The stove is gas, so that isn't an issue. I can make coffee the old fashioned way pretty easily, and the wife drinks tea. No well, no sump pump, nothing like that. But I do like the idea of a quiet generator.

I hope that helps

I would only run it on extensions as that allows me to control what actually gets

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 08:08:24 PM »
champion 93723

dual fuel gas/lp, 3500 watts inverter, 30 amp rv plug  and receptacles. should ran a 15000 btu camper ac,

a little pricey at over 1100 dollars but should give lots of options. 20 lb, 30 lb 100 lb lp tanks and gasoline.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 09:04:25 PM »
With proper load management you could get by with a fairly small genset. Not everything needs to run all at once. Run the AC and fridge for 23 hours a day and run the Freezers twice a day for the 15 or so minutes they need to keep everything frozen.  The smaller the set the easier it is on fuel. bigger sets take more fuel even when lightly loaded. My wife ran our house with a 4000 watt set for 5 days on less than 10 gallons of gas after hurricane Harvey. No AC tho.

The one SKfarmer recommended is a good size. Sams has some killer deals on smaller machines too.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/4375w-dual-fuel-gen/prod20951837?xid=pdp_carousel_rich-relevance.rr0_1

Offline RustFarmer

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 10:28:12 PM »
great stuff guys, thanks a bunch.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 08:18:01 AM »
I would buy something bigger then you need to have some spare capacity, but that is just me

I would love to hear the story on why you hate Honda products, has to be a good one

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 03:48:23 PM »
Well, I have had or been around three Honda products, and the two cars were, in my eyes, crap. On the car my wife had when I met her, front end collision and airbags did not go off. That right there is a "no go" in my eyes. Also, I bought a '79 Accord once. A bit of a junker with carb problems, I figured I could get a carb kit and take care of most of the issues. Nope. Sealed Carb. Which would cost more than I paid for the car. And it turns out a lot of the systems on the car are like that. Now, if you are the original owner, it's not too bad, as you get things fixed under warranty. Later owners? SOL. And this was super obvious when I worked in an auto electric shop. Anything for a Honda was more expensive as you had to replace and not repair. Wiring harnesses weren't sectional but had to be replaced as a whole unit when there was a problem. And that is a lot of labor, dealer or no.

I also owned a Honda motorcycle. And that committed the worst sin of all. It was boring.

Offline highland512

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 04:13:50 PM »
Subscribed .
Here you go and a bonus you get a sweet ol Detroit diesel to boot.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/hvo/d/tacoma-30-kw-diesel-gen-set/7201669641.html.

I`d like to know how many kw`s a bloke needs need?

I think he wants to generate power........not 2 cycle noise  :D

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 06:37:17 PM »
Noise?? nay birdsong!!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 07:54:18 PM »
That two cycle noise is a gulf coast lullaby after a storm. I would love to have that old DD in the back yard. Free power to anyone with a cord when the power went out.  :clap: :clap:

Offline highland512

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 07:55:52 PM »
Noise?? nay birdsong!!

I can hear it now,
her- "Honey, do you think the neighbors can hear the generator running?"
him-"huh??"

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2020, 09:01:24 PM »
That sounds like Beethoven  :cool2:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2020, 10:15:05 PM »
That DD will make the close neighbors think a truck or bus is going to hit their house. I second a quiet generator as mine is so loud the sound reverberates and echoes off the buildings and advertises "hey listen to that as there is someone who has a generator and that means cold beer."

Offline slip knot

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2020, 11:07:49 PM »
But they wont be stealing the DD unless it was trailer mounted.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 11:08:44 AM »
Noise?? nay birdsong!!

While it might be birdsong to use, to my wife...

No.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 06:10:30 PM »
Well, here goes, I gave up and installed a Kohler 14,000 K whole house generator two years ago.  Prior to that I had a Northern 6,000 K unit that I plugged into a sub panel that allowed me to switch between loads.  The Kohler runs on propane and I have a 500 gallon tank.  The Northern ran on gas and that was always a problem and it was loud enough to bother me.  I am located at the end of a one mile line ( the only house) and lose power an average of 3 to 4 times a year.  The Kohler is totally automatic and runs for 20 minutes once a week and is not loud enough to hear in the house.  I'm old, and lets face it the older you get the less bother one wants.  Oh yes, the Kohler takes care of a 2200 sq. ft. house including a four ton heat pump and the heat strip along with everything else.  And yes, there are medical issues.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 09:24:07 PM »
Propane would be a good choice. No degradation of fuel. That seems to be the devil in the smaller generators. Oil change interval is the other. real easy to forget how fast 50 hour change intervals happen when the machine runs for a week straight.

The Kohler unit has a much better rep than the Generac whole house sets.

Offline daves_not_here

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2020, 06:08:18 PM »
I don't know much about generators, but my buddy and his wife bought one of these yesterday; tri fuel, etc. It was $799 at the local Costco. Looks good to me.  :017:

https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-running--9400w-peak-tri-fuel-generator.product.100648883.html
David

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2020, 07:56:41 PM »
Never seen or heard of a Firman. You do have to make a decision about which of the 3 fuels you will use as changing fuels probably requires re-jetting.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2020, 07:51:10 PM »
I ended up buying the Ryobi 4000 watt model from HD. I just want something simple to cover the basics, and that should work fine.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2020, 11:39:38 PM »
That should work out fine for you.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2020, 07:42:58 AM »
Yep, that should cover the basics well.  I have an old Winco with a Honda I took in trade years ago.  Almost never gets used but I sure like having it.  Likely from the late 80's.  Little loud by todays standards but I can't hear it inside :))

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2020, 11:16:18 AM »
Glad you got one.  Is it an inverter model?  Let us know how you like it.

One other thing that has not been mentioned yet about generators is to use them occasionally.

We all know small engine fuel systems gum up, but generators have an additional problem.  The generator can lose its magnetic fields if not used.  There are ways to reestablish the magnetic fields, but that is extra work you don't need when the power goes out.

Not sure if this is an issue on the new style inverter generators.  I have a bunch of old non-inverter generators that all need work.  Thinking about throwing in the towel and buying a nice little inverter gen.

I'm not an electrical guy.  I suspect Goodfellow could explain the problem better than I.