Author Topic: Ratchet usage: Are you a "straight ticket" user or whatever works mechanic?  (Read 7541 times)

Offline bonneyman

I've been wrenching since the early 70's so I've had my share of ratchets come across my path. Early on I bought an S-K roundhead socket set - mainly because that's what my dad had when I was a kid and so it was what I cut my teeth on. You stick with what you know, right?

Well, that 45170 3/8" roundhead rat became the "standard" by which I judged every other ratchet against. It's one of the biggest reasons I never went the Snap-On path (price differences aside): S-O didn't have round knurled handles. After joining the Gazette I began to think that I should expand to some smaller and larger drive sizes. Since S-K was my go-to 3/8", I bought the same style rats in 1/4" and 1/2", thinking I'd be just as happy and all set. Big time mistake!

The 1/4" version was too small. Even with the knurling on the handle it was hard to hold. Any amount of greasy dirt, and it was always getting dropped. (I've since added some gas hose on the handle, and it does help. But it's still a bit hard to hold). With the 1/2"er, the head was so big and heavy after about 20 minutes of solid wrenching my forearms would get fatigued. I decided to start searching for the best ratchet for the drive size - regardless of brand.

After at least a hundred ratchets tested over the last 15 years - old and new, cheap and expensive, common and rare. I've whittled it down to these choices. (Being a Bonney man, you'd think I'd have some Bonney ratchets in the list. Nope - I don't really like Bonney roundheads.  :a102:  Too heavy and clunky action).

I've never really bought into the "ergonomic" style of handle. Though the EASCO paint brush and older Matco comfort styles are quite nice. I think if I was doing repetitive bench work that was fairly clean I'd grab one of these styles. Comfort all day long would be enhanced with the smooth handle shapes, and if there wasn't grease present then slippage wouldn't be an issue.

Flex heads, too, I never had a need for. I mean, I have a couple around the shop in case a special circumstance arises. But - it never has. I don't work on newer cars like alot of guys - maybe cramped under the hood areas are where flex heads shine.

Super high tooth counts also never attracted me. I figured 45 teeth was good enough for most of my adult life. I did try the new S-K DT90 rebuild kit. Fast and easy way to double the tooth count of my old trusty 45170. I didn't like it - too much like the Bonney action. Took it out and put it back to the original. Though the 71 tooth FACOM era TUFF 1 ratchets are quite nice.

The winners:
For 1/4":  The HF composite ratchet came out on top. (Gotta thank GNAP for the heads-up on this one) Nice sized handle,
               slightly curved, a bit big for a 1/4" but perfect for my hand, non-slippery even when greasy.
For 3/8":  The S-K 45170 or Thorsen MJ77 roundhead. The S-K TUFF 1 comes in very close behind these.
For 1/2":  For high torque jobs, the Thorsen open gear. It has the smallest head and lightest weight way out on that end, plus
               plenty strong enough to get the work done. Might not be sealed against dirt and grime but fairly easy to clean.
               For compact jobs: the old Herbrand S-10 pearhead. Short and stout, low tooth count not an issue, hollowed out
               handle is quite comfortable, big direction selector knob easy to use but doesn't self-reverse. And when cleaned and
               greased it is a smooth as silk.

So, what about you guys? What have you discovered works well in your particular environments? There's no wrong answers - everybody has different needs and demands. What do you like.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 10:20:15 AM by bonneyman »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
For me, most every repair job starts out with three primary "go-to" ratchets.

1) 1960's vintage 3/8" drive Wright flex-head "Tootsie Roll"
2) 1970's vintage 3/8" drive Craftsman RHFT
3) 3/8" drive long handle Harbor Freight Pittsburgh series flex-head (great for extra leverage and reach)

If I need 1/4" drive, I usually go straight for the old KD cushion grip flex head or the Williams long handle 1/4" flex-head

1/2" drive is a toss up -- but in most cases my 1970's long handle RHFT flex-head, or 1960' standard length Wright "Tootsie Roll"

That said, the HF Pittsburgh long handle flex-head is in my road box and it's a great all-round ratchet as well.

Offline GNAP

1/4” - HF composite

3/8” - HF composite, Craftsman RP flex-head, Wright open head

1/2” - Snap-On long handle, Wright open head

3/4” - Craftsman, Snap-On interchangeable handle

1” - OTC
jack

Offline bonneyman

Ray - Alot of people love those Craftsman RHFT jobs. I just don't like the C-man rectangular handle profile - but EASCO did their own labeled RHFT with a round knurled handle that was doable.  :great:

Jack - I gotta say since you opened my mind up to the HF composites I am liking them. They are lightweight, don't scratch paint or soft surfaces if you slip, nice weight distribution handle to anvil. Was using the 3/8" on a job some time ago. It was so comfortable and nice handling I forgot I was using a HF until the job was done. Imagine my surprise when I put it back on the pegboard, realizing it wasn't my go-to S-K. I didn't even miss it! :)

Never used 3/4" or 1" drive. About the only thing I think I would use those for is terrorist "adjustment".  :PDT_Armataz_01_37:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:31:54 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
When I was a kid I worked for a mechanic and he had pretty much all Snap-on so that's what I learned on. His stuff was mostly mid 50' through whatever was current at that time so that's what I tend to be attracted to even today.

My go to 3/8 is a flex head metal handle (not locking I never cared for locking flex or for QR for that matter). For 1/4 again a Snap-on flex is my goto and those are the two I normally grab first.

1/2 is a bit different. My goto is a stubby flex but it's too short to break much loose so for breaking loose and final tightening I need another ratchet.

I almost never use a standard ratchet in 3/8 and not much in 1/2 rather stubbies and flex are my most used arsenal. But then I usually dedicate a ratchet to each socket I use during a job rather than switch sockets while working. Doesn't always work out but that's usually my preferred strategy.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
.....Ray - Alot of people love those Craftsman RHFT jobs. I just don't like the C-man rectangular handle profile - but EASCO did their own labeled RHFT with a round knurled handle that was doable.  :great:

That handle seems to be the biggest complaint about C-Man ratchets and wrenches in general, but for some reason I was never bothered with that. The heads  are somewhat large by today's standards, but for me, a smooth broken-in RHFT is a real joy to use.

Offline Crispycritter

My users/goto are snapon..
1/4 greenhandle flex
3/8 soft handle.rotating head
1/2 is a long handle flex

if i cant do with 3/8 i need the leverage.. Work smarter not harder :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Offline bonneyman

Dustin - I'd think that a long flex in 1/2" drive would show up as a loose joint after awhile. Has that proven to be the case with your flex?

Offline walrus

I do everything I can with Milwaukee M12 ratchets, either 1/4 or 3/8. Less wear and tear on my arms and wrists. After that I'll use whatever works, Mostly Snap On but HF, Craftsman, Armstrong, SK, Williams.

Offline Crispycritter

Dustin - I'd think that a long flex in 1/2" drive would show up as a loose joint after awhile. Has that proven to be the case with your flex?
its loose but not sloppy itll hold a shallow socket straight but Sags with deeps. Snappy would probably warranty it if itgot worse...

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Ratchet usage: Are you a "straight ticket" user or whatever works mechanic?
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 03:52:20 PM »
For the things I do and most using 1/4dr I love the Wright contour grip ( OEM of those older Matco's ).
In 3/8 I don't really care, I've got Craftsman raised pannels Wright and PROTO knurled round handles, and a US made Husky pro with a snapon style handle and I've been fine with all.

I don't presently care about high tooth count , I can't imagine needing more than 72T and find light action to really go a long way.

I'll learn more and experiences / opinions will change
I'm sure the smooth Wright handles will prove problematic in slippery situations.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 05:26:16 PM »
Dustin - oooh, I hadn't even thought about deeps on a flex head. That'd probably get annoying having it flop around on the job.

Hickory - I don't know if they still sell them, but Epstein used to sell 3/8" ratchets made by Granco. I got one of the bare handles, and made a ratchet out of it. Works really nice.

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 05:52:01 PM »
Dustin - oooh, I hadn't even thought about deeps on a flex head. That'd probably get annoying having it flop around on the job.

Hickory - I don't know if they still sell them, but Epstein used to sell 3/8" ratchets made by Granco. I got one of the bare handles, and made a ratchet out of it. Works really nice.
can be annoying but most jobs i use it i can manipulate it with my other hand... My. 3yrold extra long handle flex in 3/8 is super firm which can be annoying too.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 06:10:53 PM »

can be annoying but most jobs i use it i can manipulate it with my other hand... My. 3yrold extra long handle flex in 3/8 is super firm which can be annoying too.

Yeah, I guess it can be annoying whichever way it goes, huh?

I guess that's why some flex heads tools have the lock feature. You can use it or not.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 06:20:14 PM »
.....Ray - Alot of people love those Craftsman RHFT jobs. I just don't like the C-man rectangular handle profile - but EASCO did their own labeled RHFT with a round knurled handle that was doable.  :great:

That handle seems to be the biggest complaint about C-Man ratchets and wrenches in general, but for some reason I was never bothered with that. The heads  are somewhat large by today's standards, but for me, a smooth broken-in RHFT is a real joy to use.
The 60's era raised pannel handles are much more rounded and comfortable than the later stuff ,  I quite like my 3/8 flying V and I think many people who dislike Craftsman ratchets might change their mind a bit if they used one of the older ones.

The RHFT is awesome for sure,  my goto 1/2 on the rare occasion I need it for my needs is a really nice Allen knurled round handle RHFT Davethorik kindly sent me.
Such a nice action, and the wheel is a feature I quite like.

Sometimes I will actually bring that RHFT Into the living room and fiddle with it while I'm watching TV because the action is so satisfying.
Always lookin' to learn