Author Topic: Ratchet usage: Are you a "straight ticket" user or whatever works mechanic?  (Read 7548 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Ratchet usage: Are you a "straight ticket" user or whatever works mechanic?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2021, 06:21:35 PM »
I pretty much use my Kobalt 90T no matter the size except on 3/4" where I use my Matco. I like the 90T as it will still ratchet where other ones will stop and the fastener might not be loose enough to spin with fingers if corroded. I have plenty of other ratchets I can abuse but not the Kobalts.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 07:59:17 PM »
I too have developed a fondness for the HF 1/2 composite ratchet. Due in part to Jacks recommendation. The 3/8 and 1/2 are both older round head Williams.
For years I hated the slick handled Snappys. after several busted knuckles I tossed one out in the pasture, still haven't found it either.
 But a few years back I picked up a Ferret for cheap. I've been using it more often, Dont know why, it just feels right. But I dont do as much greasy work anymore either

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 08:04:50 PM »
While I appreciate a nice old ratchet, I'm of the slim head, fine tooth generation.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline fatfillup

In shop roto head snappys 1/4 and 3/8, MAC 1/2 straight handle, and this will shock you, bought all new off the truck  :a102:

Service truck, Napa 1/4 straight, napa 3/8 pear head flex and an old snappy 1/2

Not positive what I have at home other then a 1/4 proto pear head.  Oh, I do have a very old 1/2 long snappy.  Don't wrench much at home so I never paid attention.

For me, I don't wrench enough for it really to matter that much as long as they work

Offline bonneyman

I too have developed a fondness for the HF 1/2 composite ratchet. Due in part to Jacks recommendation. The 3/8 and 1/2 are both older round head Williams.
For years I hated the slick handled Snappys. after several busted knuckles I tossed one out in the pasture, still haven't found it either.
 But a few years back I picked up a Ferret for cheap. I've been using it more often, Dont know why, it just feels right. But I dont do as much greasy work anymore either

yeah, the composite rats construction really cuts down on the weight, which adds up as you use it awhile. The forearm doesn't ache, and the hand isn't as cramped from having to really grab the thing for extended periods. The onset of arthritis really shows the finger pain!
I have an older Williams 1/2" (needs a kit) and a 3/8" I picked up (working). Dual see-saw pawls like the Bonneys and S-K DT90 kits. But their design is a bit better, not as clunky, quite smooth. If not for the composite rats I'd probably be using them more.
And surprisingly I have an old Snappy Ferret in 3/8". Actually like it! Put some heat shrink tubing on the handle, it is kinda nice. Original gear so only 20 teeth - S-O is hard to get ahold of for a newer 30 tooth gear.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 08:28:00 AM by bonneyman »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
1/4 drive? i will normally grab a classic sk round head or my armstrong aero 88 click.

3/8 drive? armstrong aero  or matco 88 click .

1/2 drive? long hard handle proto big dawg followed by the classic sk roundhead  in regular or long.

3/4 drive? classic sk roundhead or proto pearhead.

honorable mention? when working at the bench i  really enjoy using any of my hard handle proto big dawg ratchets. i like the shape and slightly textured handle. while not the best action. the 1/4 drive and long handle 3/8 get used most. i jut avoid dragging them across the concrete or gravel.

specialty? titan compact 3/8 roto ratchet and armstong locking flex 1/4 and 3/8.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline fatfillup

Forgot to mention, I don't care for locking flex heads but do like a strong detent and ball on flex heads

Offline hickory n Steel

I like my WRIGHT 2495 1/4 flex head because I can flex the head all the way back and use it like a screwdriver,  but beyond that I don't have much use for a flex head ratchet at this time.
I have found that a regular flex head ratchet does not work in place of a standard fixed ratchet as it will end up flexing on me when I'm using it.

Locking or much stronger detents might resolve this though.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Davethorik

At work, I have tried a few different combinations of ratchets. I now have a 60T Armstrong locking flex in 1/4 I bought new (10-994 IIRC), love it but don't really use it much. Proto 5250XL in 3/8, Proto 5450XLBL and the 2' long Snap-on SLL80A in 1/2. I use the Protos the most, but when I need the Snappy it's there. Lol.

At home, Cornwell fanboi. I love how these feel, old skool 30t with permatex green lube of love. I have around 10 in most sizes and styles. Makes me smile to use them. 3 of those are flex heads with the detent, which I don't mind. I also like the Wright contour grip, which may be even better than the Cornwell coke bottle *gasp*

I always said no to ratchets with comfort grips (except Wright tootsie rolls) but I have a Snap-on 1/4 roto THNF72G, a green/black comfort grip and I like it a lot. I've used it on my bike a bit, seems like a good match.

I always said SK should have made a 1/4 version of the roto, it would have sold like hotcakes. I have a 3/8 SK roto 3870, an old one (SK in diamond), it is hands down my favorite SK, although I have a Tuff1 in 3/8 and it's nice too.

Offline bonneyman

....I always said SK should have made a 1/4 version of the roto, it would have sold like hotcakes. I have a 3/8 SK roto 3870, an old one (SK in diamond), it is hands down my favorite SK, although I have a Tuff1 in 3/8 and it's nice too.

Doesn't S-K Ideal have a comment section? You could always fill their inbox with your request - somebody over there might actually notice.

I think it was Harlan who bought and loved that new Titan 1/4" roto. Imagine the response in the tool world if S-K came out with one.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
I have a titan  compact 3/8. There is also   a 1/4 version as well as a compact 1/4.

I sent one to muddy and hopefully he will chime in. I find mine very handy for bit sockets and other smaller 3/8 drive sockets.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

I have a titan  compact 3/8. There is also   a 1/4 version as well as a compact 1/4.

I sent one to muddy and hopefully he will chime in. I find mine very handy for bit sockets and other smaller 3/8 drive sockets.
Yes I like the Titan you sent me. I use it to remove small screws and bolts and hose clamps.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline bonneyman

I've been trying to make my own S-K rotohead in 3/8" from an old 1/2" ratchet handle and gear head. Kinda stuck on the drilling out the pivot holes. But I'm sure a similar project in 1/4" could be done - if I can get the machining done right.

Offline highland512

1/4-SK tuff1
3/8-SK tuff1
1/2-PROTO long handle w/custom cushion grip  O0

The biggest down fall to the tuff1 is the height. This usually only comes into to play in the 1/4 drive for me, if it does I have an old snapon thats very slinder, or a wrench.......

Offline hickory n Steel

This thread needs pictures, so here's an old picture of my 1/4 favorites.

My favorite  1/2

My go to 3/8 ratchets

And I really quite like this Easco 71-1102 1/4, I have not seen another like it but it's a great ratchet.

Literally the only pictures or reference to this I find online are from me  ???
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 10:37:07 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn