Author Topic: Ratchet usage: Are you a "straight ticket" user or whatever works mechanic?  (Read 7549 times)

Offline Davethorik

....I always said SK should have made a 1/4 version of the roto, it would have sold like hotcakes. I have a 3/8 SK roto 3870, an old one (SK in diamond), it is hands down my favorite SK, although I have a Tuff1 in 3/8 and it's nice too.

Doesn't S-K Ideal have a comment section? You could always fill their inbox with your request - somebody over there might actually notice.

I think it was Harlan who bought and loved that new Titan 1/4" roto. Imagine the response in the tool world if S-K came out with one.

I have actually mentioned it to whomever runs their facebook page. I was ignored, since all 4 of SK's employees were probably working on another batch of the useless torsion zone impact sockets, they are too busy to man social media too. Lol.

I have no plans to give SK any of my money. That ship has sailed.

Offline bmwrd0

When I was going up on rooftops for HVAC if I needed a ratchet I used a 3/8" Armstrong. Low tooth count. It seemed to do the trick for anything I might need, as nothing was heavily torqued and if something was rusty I used a breaker bar.

Now that I am retired, and no longer work on motorcycles and cars (if I can help it) it's mostly appliances and bicycles. But, I have drawers full of ratchets I have picked so I have tried most things by now.

1/4" - I usually use nutdrivers, honestly. If I needed to grab a ratchet, it could be anything handy; Armstrong, Proto, Herbrand.
3/8" - Cornwell stubby. So handy for what I am doing.
1/2" - Snap-on stubby, or on rare occasions a Cornwell long handle.

One thing I have found is that I dislike round head ratches, and have never used a flex-head. And I have never noticed a need for a high tooth count.

Offline bonneyman

When I was going up on rooftops for HVAC if I needed a ratchet I used a 3/8" Armstrong. Low tooth count. It seemed to do the trick for anything I might need, as nothing was heavily torqued and if something was rusty I used a breaker bar.

Now that I am retired, and no longer work on motorcycles and cars (if I can help it) it's mostly appliances and bicycles. But, I have drawers full of ratchets I have picked so I have tried most things by now.

1/4" - I usually use nutdrivers, honestly. If I needed to grab a ratchet, it could be anything handy; Armstrong, Proto, Herbrand.
3/8" - Cornwell stubby. So handy for what I am doing.
1/2" - Snap-on stubby, or on rare occasions a Cornwell long handle.

One thing I have found is that I dislike round head ratches, and have never used a flex-head. And I have never noticed a need for a high tooth count.

10-4 I used to use nutdrivers exclusively. Then went to magnetized nut runners in a comfortable driver handle. But once I found the EASYDRIVER ball, regular drivers got relegated to the storage bin!  A ratcheting ball driver, 1/4" extensions and accessories, and magnetic sockets do everything I need. And - with arthritis setting in - the 2 1/2" ball shape really helps.

Though I do grab and use shorty, regular, and long shafted nut drivers around the house.

Offline bmwrd0

Up on rooftops, I generally kept a 5/16 nut runner in my Milwaukee, as that size is so common in the trade. I did keep a Klein 6-in-1 in my tool tote though.

Nut drivers at home though, especially when working on old AC motors. Keeps from torquing things too quickly.

Offline PowderKeg

Been a looong time since I've done much of any serious wrenching, but Craftsman RHFTs of all sizes were my primaries and mostly onlies.  Later I did branch out and use a few long handle Snappies, an EASCO sourced KD stubby (smooth as buttah),  long handle comfort grip MAC, and few other odds 'n ends, but the RHFTs are far and away my favorites - and I LUV the handles.

Got pushing 800 ratchets, and have only put probably 20 of 'em to actual use.... How's that for an obsession....

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found

My go to for ratchet. Round head Husky with the push selector to release the socket. I have a similar one in craftsman but it doesn't have the push to release. I like the knurled ring for hand running the unit. Something the pearhead style doesn't have.

This is the set I bought in the late eighties to carry in my car. I didn't realize it at the time but I don't think these ratchets are USA. No markings on them to indicate coo but the sockets are all marked usa. Either way I kinda took this set out of the rotation as I didn't want to loose it to theft out of a vehicle.

I bought a couple of these when I saw em. I like a nut driver style and it can function as an extension too.

One of my favorites for tight quarters. Snappy flex with 3/8" in 1/4" body. Great for getting it on or off with limited space.

I am a fan of the snappy locking flex. I have a 1/4" and 3/8" unit but I don't grab em out much. I managed to bend the 3/8" one at the joint, so I will probably buy another and not use it in such a manner as to bend another one. I like the snappy 3/8" drive pear head and will probably try a matco or snappy with the finer teeth but that seems to be all the rage so the price hasn't dropped enough for me to try one out.
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

My go to for ratchet. Round head Husky with the push selector to release the socket. I have a similar one in craftsman but it doesn't have the push to release. I like the knurled ring for hand running the unit. Something the pearhead style doesn't have.

This is the set I bought in the late eighties to carry in my car. I didn't realize it at the time but I don't think these ratchets are USA. No markings on them to indicate coo but the sockets are all marked usa. Either way I kinda took this set out of the rotation as I didn't want to loose it to theft out of a vehicle.

I bought a couple of these when I saw em. I like a nut driver style and it can function as an extension too.

One of my favorites for tight quarters. Snappy flex with 3/8" in 1/4" body. Great for getting it on or off with limited space.

I am a fan of the snappy locking flex. I have a 1/4" and 3/8" unit but I don't grab em out much. I managed to bend the 3/8" one at the joint, so I will probably buy another and not use it in such a manner as to bend another one. I like the snappy 3/8" drive pear head and will probably try a matco or snappy with the finer teeth but that seems to be all the rage so the price hasn't dropped enough for me to try one out.
Gotta love a good spinner handle.

Btw are those ratchets EE marked ?
I think those may be Stanley sourced Taiwanese ratchets.
I know there was a Stanley sourced Taiwanese Craftsman roundhead at one point.
Always lookin' to learn