Author Topic: Any info on this Easco 71 1102 ?  (Read 3431 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Any info on this Easco 71 1102 ?
« on: March 09, 2021, 09:15:38 PM »
I've had this 1/4 ratchet for 2 years now and quite like it, and it has become one of my absolute favorites.It's my #1 go-to when I just need to do something real quick and don't need the D-Lux decked out 1/4 kit.

I search online occasionally but have never seen another like it till today.

I decided to look today and found some pictures of an identical NAPA example, and a K-D bexample, the only difference being a black selector.

It's a real nice example too , I may have to keep an eye out on Ebay for one.

I'm thinking 90's at the latest, this mechanism found on 70's-80's Craftsman ratchets seems a bit too costly of a design to manufacture to have been used much later than the 90's.
At least not on what is essentially house brand production,  that is why Sears dopped the design after all.
Anyone here seen one or have a clue when it dates to ?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:59:25 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

Re: Any info on this Easco 71 1102 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 08:06:26 AM »
It looks like the standard "baby rattle" selector mechanism (albeit without QR) used on the Craftsman's until around 1991-93. They then switched over to the "figure 8 plate" style of ratchet - which has a manta ray-shaped selector - and is still in use today (in a modified form). Cheaper to make. EASCO did ratchets with their own name (and for other brands) that used the same guts, but typically used round knurled handles (which I prefer). I've not seen a 1/4"er like this before but this looks like one of those in-house ratchets. The selector is slightly different, but the face plate looks the same. 
The ever popular Craftsman RHFT never did much for me because of their handle style - but then I found EASCO made a RHFT version with a round handle. I have a couple of those.

I hope this helps some.

Here's some pics of the two Craftsman pear heads side by side.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:13:16 AM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 10:24:09 AM »
It looks like the standard "baby rattle" selector mechanism (albeit without QR) used on the Craftsman's until around 1991-93. They then switched over to the "figure 8 plate" style of ratchet - which has a manta ray-shaped selector - and is still in use today (in a modified form). Cheaper to make. EASCO did ratchets with their own name (and for other brands) that used the same guts, but typically used round knurled handles (which I prefer). I've not seen a 1/4"er like this before but this looks like one of those in-house ratchets. The selector is slightly different, but the face plate looks the same. 
The ever popular Craftsman RHFT never did much for me because of their handle style - but then I found EASCO made a RHFT version with a round handle. I have a couple of those.

I hope this helps some.

Here's some pics of the two Craftsman pear heads side by side.
Thanks for posting.
The only thing I didn't already know was the year that the design changed on Craftsman ratchets, I just knew that the newer design was 90's+.

I know this handle style with the knurling that stops short was still being used into the Apex years, but they were done with this mechanism and solely using the figure 8 the Tri-prop round head and the RHFT.
Iv'e seen master mechanic,  Master force, Napa, KD, Allen, and Kobalt ( I haven't seen any Easco branded from the final years ) all either figure 8 Tri-prop or RHFT.

I have never handled a 1/4 Craftsman with this older design,  but it's definitely nicer than the figure 8's I've had.
Those feel kind if crappy compared to this.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 10:42:42 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 12:55:14 PM »
Lauver would know more precisely, but the change-over was gradual. The newer figure 8 plate rats were first seen in 1991, both were seen in the 1992 catalogs, and then the baby rattle selector rat disappeared in the 1993 catalog. Or something like that.
The next major change was in 2011 when Craftsman went all Asian production. Same basic figure 8 plate design, but enough different that newer kits wouldn't fit older rats and vice versa. That's probably also around the time that the stores started cutting back on refurbing your old ratchet for you and just gave you another one.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 06:09:41 PM »
Lauver would know more precisely, but the change-over was gradual. The newer figure 8 plate rats were first seen in 1991, both were seen in the 1992 catalogs, and then the baby rattle selector rat disappeared in the 1993 catalog. Or something like that.
The next major change was in 2011 when Craftsman went all Asian production. Same basic figure 8 plate design, but enough different that newer kits wouldn't fit older rats and vice versa. That's probably also around the time that the stores started cutting back on refurbing your old ratchet for you and just gave you another one.
That would certainly help date this barring they didn't continue the mechanism for too long after Sears dropped it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 10:17:50 PM »
A few thoughts I might add:

I likely picked up the NAPA stubby pear head below in the mid-late 80's new from a NAPA dealer (making it one of the very few ratchets I've ever bought new off the shelf, my 5 Craftsman RHFTs being a good part of the rest).  This thing is smoooooth as buttah, the smoothest MDF pear head I've ever held (and I've got a few...). 

My experience so far has been that the pear head Craftsmans generally don't work as smoothly as some of the pear heads branded for others - have a set of NOS K-Ds that are pretty smooth (but not quite as nice as that NAPA) as well as some other NAPAs.  I've always wondered if perhaps the Sears contract specs may have been less rigorous or more tolerant of minor variances (like internal finishing/polishing/spring quality/etc) than some of the other contracts Moore and later EASCO serviced.  Could also be that the other brands/contracts came along later in the patent life of the pear heads and benefited from some minor enhancements/refinements that Sears didn't want to spend additional on.

As rough as some of the pear head Craftsmans I have are, I've yet to find any EASCO Arnold patent ratchet I like (the modern "figure 8" cover plate), and I've got a handful of brands there as well, including NAPA, Kobalt, Menards, and even a couple of S-Ks.  On second thought I'll take that back - the Kobalt and NAPA 1/4"s are pretty good and have seen some routine use.

Maybe I'm mis-reading, but I get the feeling that there's some thought that Sears had a pretty heavy hand in determining their specific ratchet designs and when they moved permanently from one design (like the pear heads) to another (the Arnold patent).  While I think they did in overall broad ways - like the universal inclusion/requirement of quick-release part-way through the pear head years to current and handle shape - my expectation is that the major shifts from one patent design to another were more a result of what EASCO was moving forward with and retiring old designs than Sears getting very specific in engineering all-new designs.  The Arnold patent was applied for in 1991 and filed in 1993, which generally concurs with their appearance and the demise of the pear head.  The patent drawings however are knurled round handle with one flat handle/raised panel drawing as prior art.   The quick-release mechanism is pictured as well. 

My guess is cost/unit played a really big role too, especially in the finer details and minor changes over time, with Sears maybe accepting a lesser degree of finishing, wider variability in quality control specs, even lower cost materials in some instances (plastic reverse levers instead of metal, etc) all to keep the costs down with EASCO deciding where/how they could save a little and still meet the contract.  Going cheaper in areas like those would also offset the expected increased cost of including the quick-release mechanism too, or at least I'd think so. 

The RHFTs were likely already on the EASCO drawing board or in late development when Sears went for them as an all-new Sears Best design - I have those RHFTs in several more bands than pear heads, and the quick-release is not exclusive to Sears - it's the most common variety, with non-QR only found in a couple brands alongside QR models.  Other than different grip styles and some exterior finishing I've never noticed any difference in the quality of operation in any brand.

I'd really like to hear what Lauver and some of the other Craftsman gurus could add/clarify.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 11:01:27 AM »
You make some good points,  thanks for posting.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 09:34:46 PM »
i have an sk 1/4 and 3/8 pear head. pretty much the same as later us made production craftsman. the handle has a superb chrome finish and it has a nice crisp action. no the best ratchets i own but better than your run of the mill cman. i have no doubt there was different grades of quality.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 09:46:25 PM »
i have an sk 1/4 and 3/8 pear head. pretty much the same as later us made production craftsman. the handle has a superb chrome finish and it has a nice crisp action. no the best ratchets i own but better than your run of the mill cman. i have no doubt there was different grades of quality.
The 3880 looks like a nice 3/8 ratchet.

I would say you're right about them having different grades, this EASCO is definitely a little nicer than a Craftsman. Maybe not a lot nicer but it's noticeably smoother.
Always lookin' to learn