Author Topic: My "milk crate" solution  (Read 2154 times)

Offline bonneyman

My "milk crate" solution
« on: March 11, 2021, 04:19:08 PM »
The van had this "dead zone" in it. A section of the steel shelving system that didn't have an actual shelf. For all the years I used it as a work van I used this empty space for odd items like fan belts, extension cords, etc. Now as a personal vehicle it's become just one waste of empty space.
Until now! Saw this place on line that sells milk crates. The same design as the "real" ones but in different colors and styles, sold direct to the public. I did some measuring, and order a trio of the gray ones. They came in today. I parked out back of the UPS store, and the crates went straight from their shipping box to their work space!
They look great. On trips we can store clothes or food or jugs of water in there. And if I convert the van back to handyman work they'll hold whatever I need. Perforated so one can see what's in them, plus a flat spot to adhere a general label. With a handle on all four sides they're super easy to pull out and move around. Made from the same tough material as the crates you see all the time.

And I didn't have to steal them from the dairy farm! lol

Check out the company. They offer standard crates, these 4 gallon square crates, and super crates in like 12 different colors. reasonably priced, too.

https://www.milkcratesdirect.com/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 04:56:38 PM by bonneyman »

Offline muddy

Re: My "milk crate" solution
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 09:00:18 PM »
I used milk crates for dressers in my dorm during tech school.  Handy things

Sent from twisted mind of the mudman

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 07:46:16 AM »
they look like a perfect fit.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 09:19:42 AM »
they look like a perfect fit.

Pretty much. The space was 14" W by 42" L. The crates are 13x13x11 high. So a nice fit but enough slack to easily remove.

Set up for work (my idea) is each crate holds tools and supplies for a common specialty. So, if I'm doing some light plumbing, I just pull the plumbing crate out with all the parts and supplies and carry it into the work space. The evap cooler crate could have rope run though the handle holes and pulled up from the roof so it's safer climbing the ladder.

Plus they're stackable! So I can add more if conditions require and stack them on the floor in a corner. At $10 a pop (shipping included) it'd be cheap and easy to add storage.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 08:18:34 PM »
Kinda surprised their that cheap. 4 for $40 delivered is dirt cheap storage.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 10:31:04 PM »
Actually it was 3 for $34. $15 for the trio and $19 shipping.

Shipping is such a killer anymore. But it was the most effective way to maximize that storage, so I ate it. Buying more would have spread the shipping out, but right now three was enough to test them out.

Going on a road trip in a few weeks - will probably put several gallons of water jugs in one of them. Perfect fit!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 05:24:21 PM »
slick idea