Author Topic: Young folks, just wow  (Read 4327 times)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Young folks, just wow
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2022, 09:49:04 PM »
I got this last month for $50.  $60 is probably the highest I would've went on it.  This is after a cleaning, very good original shape.
boop/bop/beep

Offline john k

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2022, 09:58:37 PM »
Them old 3 drawer top and bottoms even 30 years ago were showing their age.   Fine for a starter set, but just 10 years in, the tools added, weighed them down bad.  Most I took on trade years ago were sagging, rails warped, took both hands to get the drawers moving.  I can see a nice straight one, new paint, bring   nice cash.   Got a Craftsman set in the old shop.  Early 50s, painted green (owner was a bodyman).   Even if I unloaded it, not sure lubing the slides would make them work.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2022, 10:56:14 PM »
I got this last month for $50.  $60 is probably the highest I would've went on it.  This is after a cleaning, very good original shape.

This box is like condition to the one you showed except the gray color could use a respray. In no way overloaded, worn out or broken down.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2022, 08:39:55 AM »
Great looking box Galaxie, and definitely a "keeper". As I said in a previous post, these older boxes seem to be making a comeback. They have found a niche among younger mechanics/hobbyists that want some nostalgic flair in their garages. Old stuff is "hip" again. Whether it's tools, consumer electronics, automotive diag. equipment, -- doesn't matter. People want it.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2022, 09:21:49 AM »
Darn, I am old, will I ever be hip again?   :))

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2022, 09:58:03 AM »

+1 -- ...... I'll second the "old" part Phil, but I don't think I was ever "hip" even in my younger years -- just ask my wife.  :)) :))

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2022, 02:21:11 PM »

When I worked at Ace, I once was talking to some younger co-worker about music and dancing. He looked at me kinda funny, as if I was too old to have ever been able to dance. I told him, "I have moves!" One of the younger supervisors overheard the comment and said, "Your moves don't work anymore"! A little hurt, I said, "Well, they used to work".

I can't disco into the wee hours of the morning anymore - but I ain't dead yet! :lol_hitting:

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2022, 03:54:08 PM »
Them old 3 drawer top and bottoms even 30 years ago were showing their age.   Fine for a starter set, but just 10 years in, the tools added, weighed them down bad.  Most I took on trade years ago were sagging, rails warped, took both hands to get the drawers moving.  I can see a nice straight one, new paint, bring   nice cash.   Got a Craftsman set in the old shop.  Early 50s, painted green (owner was a bodyman).   Even if I unloaded it, not sure lubing the slides would make them work.

IMHO the reason a lot of them got beat up, is needs changed.  They were designed around SAE tool sets, then people doubled the load by adding metric.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2022, 04:30:43 PM »

When I worked at Ace, I once was talking to some younger co-worker about music and dancing. He looked at me kinda funny, as if I was too old to have ever been able to dance. I told him, "I have moves!" One of the younger supervisors overheard the comment and said, "Your moves don't work anymore"! A little hurt, I said, "Well, they used to work".

I can't disco into the wee hours of the morning anymore - but I ain't dead yet! :lol_hitting:

:)) :)) :))

You're killing me!
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2022, 07:42:15 AM »
Yeah the Fatman can dance too, or at least I still try :))

At least my moves worked when I was young. Used them to land my first and only wife ;)

Not unusual for Mama and I to be the first on the dance floor even still

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2022, 02:56:40 PM »
There are some wow moments for me with young people as well.
A while back we had an emergency at work, where the oven door wouldn't shut (snap ring on door mech broke and stuck in closing spot.  I asked the kids to grab a flat blade screwdriver.  Four of them went back to the tool box, and two of them were looking on their phones, for what a flat blade screwdriver was, while the other two were grabbing every single screwdriver out of the box. (set up so it should have taken 45 seconds).  I ended up getting it and one of those looking on his phone, was looking at becoming a machinist, because it sounds interesting and saw what they could make.
Used the screwdriver to reach into the hot spot, pull the ring bit out and shut the door.

Yesterday, went to install a wireless doorbell at the shop (recently burglarized as the other owner was there, and didn't realize anyone came in).  I figured one of the "kids" (late 20's),  should be able to screw in the doorbell to the wood trim outside, nope, too complicated.

This weekend, went off to older siblings to pull a blower resistor and we ended up ordering it online (lives in the country, local place, not in stock, could get for $180 a day later, less then $30 online).  Had to teach him how to install stuff for a long time, until he eventually got comfortable enough to build his own computer.  Could program all day long, just wasn't comfortable with hardware.  Mechanically nervous after relighting a pilot light years ago, cost eyebrows and front of hair.  Heck had to teach my father some basics, to make him comfortable with a circular saw.

On the other hand, I went to a garage sale some time in the last year, where a guy had those folding metal sawhorses for free, at the end of the driveway.  Last day I was the first and only interest.  Took them for my niece, who needed some for her new place and furniture refinishing she has got into.

I am glad my grandmother used to take me to the family mechanic (and his willingness to teach/show me things), and for people such as Norm Abrahms, who I watched and learned from when I started taking over care and maintenance of grandma's house at 14.  They were my mentors.

Offline muddy

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2022, 08:40:46 PM »
Don't feel bad guys. I can't dance and I'm half your age

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2022, 10:47:06 PM »

The Mrs. and I have been having a Fred and Ginger marathon. We have most of their movies on DVD. 90 years ago and they still leave me in awe. Especially Ginger Rogers. How that lady could move her feet that fast and keep up with Fred while wearing high heels!  :-\

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2022, 06:37:42 AM »

The Mrs. and I have been having a Fred and Ginger marathon. We have most of their movies on DVD. 90 years ago and they still leave me in awe. Especially Ginger Rogers. How that lady could move her feet that fast and keep up with Fred while wearing high heels!  :-\

Off subject I know, but what the heck. Fred and Ginger's dancing was great entertainment, and as a boomer I learned to respect that type of dancing. However it was Eleanor Powell that was just as good as Fred, if not better. He made a movie with her in the 1940's and she bested him at every turn. Hence, he never worked with her again, even though she was an easy going non-diva type of person. She was that good, and only in later years was she acknowledged to be one of the best onscreen dancers (male or female) that ever lived.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2022, 03:03:55 PM »
Back on topic: about 10 years ago I was sitting on the floor in a pawn shop digging thru some plastic bins full of tools. Another gentleman came up and started looking thru the other bins. I struck up a conversation, he said he just liked digging thru old tools because you could never know if you'd find something usable. He said he had two sons, but neither of them were interested in tools. I asked what happens if they break down on the side of the road in their car? He said he asked them that same question - they replied they'd just call AAA.  :41: