Author Topic: Young folks, just wow  (Read 4328 times)

Offline wantedabiggergarage

Re: Young folks, just wow
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2022, 04:06:30 PM »
Back on topic: about 10 years ago I was sitting on the floor in a pawn shop digging thru some plastic bins full of tools. Another gentleman came up and started looking thru the other bins. I struck up a conversation, he said he just liked digging thru old tools because you could never know if you'd find something usable. He said he had two sons, but neither of them were interested in tools. I asked what happens if they break down on the side of the road in their car? He said he asked them that same question - they replied they'd just call AAA.  :41:

In some cases that is better.  They won't make things worse.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2022, 06:39:03 PM »
Back on topic: about 10 years ago I was sitting on the floor in a pawn shop digging thru some plastic bins full of tools. Another gentleman came up and started looking thru the other bins. I struck up a conversation, he said he just liked digging thru old tools because you could never know if you'd find something usable. He said he had two sons, but neither of them were interested in tools. I asked what happens if they break down on the side of the road in their car? He said he asked them that same question - they replied they'd just call AAA.  :41:

In some cases that is better.  They won't make things worse.

:))

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2022, 09:06:10 PM »
You think it is funny, I am scared to think it is true.

Nearly 30 year old, couldn't figure out how to unlock something with a key today.

Online fatfillup

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2022, 07:58:25 AM »
Some folks just aren't mechanical.  My Dad was terrible with tools but was successful in business.  I have always been mechanical and that stuff just makes sense to me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,till you through in a computer.  :))

Fortunately I see a lot of young guys come through my tool store who are mechanical by nature, so all hope is not lost. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2022, 06:23:02 PM »
You think it is funny, I am scared to think it is true.

Nearly 30 year old, couldn't figure out how to unlock something with a key today.

I'm actually pretty ignorant of modern day devices. I can figure out and repair most old school stuff but the new electronic things are a complete loss to me. Thankfully I've dodged most bullets because modern stuff for the most part is non-repairable. Though I've torn open my DVD player and that puppy just barely got fixed! ::)

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2022, 06:47:34 PM »
...  Also MCGaige Hatch RP's feel real nice in the hand but you don't see them much (Spelling is off I am sure :)))

To veer off the OP a little, I didn't know McK-H made a more modern style RP wrench until I stumbled on these at a KS tractor show a year+ ago.  At first thought they might've been sourced from S-K until I looked into them further.  Couldn't pass them up for $10...

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2022, 08:51:01 PM »
Some folks just aren't mechanical.  My Dad was terrible with tools but was successful in business.  I have always been mechanical and that stuff just makes sense to me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,till you through in a computer.  :))

Fortunately I see a lot of young guys come through my tool store who are mechanical by nature, so all hope is not lost.
I know people who don't have a hint fix it mentality at all.
My boss brings his sons bike to me for tube replacement, the first time he was going to pick it back up in a few days because he didn't even realize it was a simple 5 minute task.
He was watching like he had never seen a bike tube replaced before.
The last time he brought it to me the handle bars were loose in the stem, not aligned with the front wheel, the rear brake was bent,  rear rim bent, he didn't notice any of it when he had tried to inflate the rear and discovered the tube was bad.
And he didn't even buy the right sized tube.
I got it sorted out the best I could in the time I had, but it's not really worth the effort for a kids bike thats abused and nobody noticed the issues anyways.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2022, 02:12:34 PM »
...  Also MCGaige Hatch RP's feel real nice in the hand but you don't see them much (Spelling is off I am sure :)))

To veer off the OP a little, I didn't know McK-H made a more modern style RP wrench until I stumbled on these at a KS tractor show a year+ ago.  At first thought they might've been sourced from S-K until I looked into them further.  Couldn't pass them up for $10...

I have never heard of that brand. What tractor show? I go to a few most years myself. I often find great stuff in the flea mkts at those too.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2022, 02:47:33 PM »

I know people who don't have a hint fix it mentality at all.
My boss brings his sons bike to me for tube replacement, the first time he was going to pick it back up in a few days because he didn't even realize it was a simple 5 minute task.
He was watching like he had never seen a bike tube replaced before.
The last time he brought it to me the handle bars were loose in the stem, not aligned with the front wheel, the rear brake was bent,  rear rim bent, he didn't notice any of it when he had tried to inflate the rear and discovered the tube was bad.
And he didn't even buy the right sized tube.
I got it sorted out the best I could in the time I had, but it's not really worth the effort for a kids bike thats abused and nobody noticed the issues anyways.

Hey, everybody's got a "gift". I can fix most things mechanical but I suck at wood working. Shoot, I walk to close to a piece of wood and I get splinters! And don't ask me how to program a computer! That's why we have everybody - because everybody is good at something, and by working together we can get all the important stuff done.

Just please don't tell me your gift is drinking beer!  :-[

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2022, 04:50:16 PM »
drinking beer is my privilege  but it's a good one!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2022, 08:56:17 PM »
I got one for y'all. I got a young man works for me. Late 20s early 30s, just had his second kid. This weekend he pulls a major bone head play. Really screws up badly. To the point I'm making a call to the State emergency managers office bad.

My boss heavily suggested we fire him, Boss' boss wants him gone. I do a ton of smoozing with them to get it settled. We'll write him up but he can keep his job. I feel for the guy with a new baby and all.

Well today I call him in the office for a disciplinary action write up. He gets major league bent outta shape, all but insisting that its my fault that he didn't get trained well enough.  :38: Never mind I just put my a$$ on the line to save his job, now its my fault. :38:

Online fatfillup

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2022, 07:54:29 AM »
no good deed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2022, 07:02:40 PM »
I got one for y'all. I got a young man works for me. Late 20s early 30s, just had his second kid. This weekend he pulls a major bone head play. Really screws up badly. To the point I'm making a call to the State emergency managers office bad.

My boss heavily suggested we fire him, Boss' boss wants him gone. I do a ton of smoozing with them to get it settled. We'll write him up but he can keep his job. I feel for the guy with a new baby and all.

Well today I call him in the office for a disciplinary action write up. He gets major league bent outta shape, all but insisting that its my fault that he didn't get trained well enough.  :38: Never mind I just put my a$$ on the line to save his job, now its my fault. :38:

I hope you gave him a reality check.
boop/bop/beep

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2022, 07:58:55 AM »

I'll put my 2 cents in and thank you for saving him his job.

We have/had a guy like that. Steady late and has an attitude as he is very good at the job. Gets disciplinary action pretty regularly. Union shop so nothing really matters until the last one and even then the union can and often does get the job back.
He was late last Monday, so he was put at the bottom of the list and got a poor assignment. One of the lower guys who was on time got a gravy assignment that he thought should be his, BUT he was late. Filled out the resignation paperwork and quit. Union cant get that one back.
Rich

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2022, 10:54:43 AM »
I have never heard of that brand. What tractor show? I go to a few most years myself. I often find great stuff in the flea mkts at those too.

Sorry UB, guess it's been a lot longer than I thought since I last checked in...  Found those McK-H wrenches at a tractor show in Ottawa KS.  I've been hitting anywhere from 6-12+ steam/tractor/thresherman shows a year for awhile now.  Some shows have great/huge flea market areas (ATA Pinckneyville IL, R&T Kinzers PA, NTA Wauseon OH, RRT Janesville WI, OVAMS Georgetown OH, MSHS Upperco MD, SIAM Evansville IN), others have smaller flea areas but still pretty good, and some with none at all. 

Those shows are a great way to relax and spend a day/weekend IMHO - the sweet aroma of burning wood and coal hanging in the air (mixed with kettle corn), rythmic sounds everywhere (from punka-punka-punka (small engines) to PUNKA!--PUNKA!--PUNKA!! single/2 cyl steel wheel tractors) to shooka-shooka-shooka (steam) to the deafening roar of a Screamin' Jimmy (I think it takes a special kind of obnoxious to own an Oliver with a Detroit, they ALWAYS make themselves heard...).  Good times!