Author Topic: Making my own version of the Blackhawk nuggies set.  (Read 2210 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Making my own version of the Blackhawk nuggies set.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2023, 01:44:00 AM »
I never knew they had gearless and extendable baldies.

I swear Blackhawk probably made the coolest tools there ever was, and I thought Snapon was the king of neat unique toolboxes but sure Blackhawk had some awesome boxes.

This one is quite an interesting box.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2023, 02:20:59 PM »
Thank you for the proper name, it made images easier to find!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2023, 07:10:12 PM »
I

I swear Blackhawk probably made the coolest tools there ever was, and I thought Snapon was the king of neat unique toolboxes but sure Blackhawk had some awesome boxes.

They are damned heavy boxes. I use mine for tap and die storage. One of these days it will get restored. Maybe 🤔

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2023, 07:45:10 PM »
It sure doesn't surprise me that they're a heavy box.
That seems like a good use for it, but I sure would like to know what they intended because it sure seems like something that would have had a specific use in mind.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2023, 10:45:47 PM »
I

They are damned heavy boxes. I use mine for tap and die storage. One of these days it will get restored. Maybe 🤔

What an incredibly cool box! I think I almost like it as it is.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2023, 12:30:04 AM »
I'm starting to get a bit discouraged with my project.
Most of what I need is out there except possibly an appropriate case, but there is one glaring hiccup I can't get past and I have to really do some serious thinking on this.
The m51 is the most appropriate William's ratchet, but their flex handle is so much larger that I'll need a bigger case and that'll throw out the whole point of having a small ratchet.

Ideally I would love to go with WRIGHT tool, the 2426 ratchet is perfect for this as is the 2435 flex handle being the same length.
I'd use an extension and the handle off a WRIGHT ph1 screwdriver to make an appropriately sized spinner handle.
The problem is I don't think they ever made a 1/4" sliding T handle, and I'm not sure if their ignition wrenches will fit the bill if I can find a set (not the current Taiwanese Cougar wrenches ) .

For now I will proceed with trying to build this aa a William's set, but if I can get ahold of the Wright ignition wrenches I may break one of my rules and go with a cheap unbranded imported Sliding T handle.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2023, 10:52:14 AM »
I just bought these on Ebay as a plan b,  and I will just see which can be completed first.
I already have a vintage 2400 ratchet if I don't want to just score a whole 1/4 set to use since I still need the socks...etc.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 10:53:54 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2023, 03:44:39 AM »
It looks like WRIGHT may come first.

Basically the only thing missing is a spinner handle.
The 2442 is too big for this purpose, so I think I'll buy a WRIGHT 1/8 or ph1...etc screwdriver and make a smaller one.

My only concern here is that the longer extension is too long, but the 19nd buggies set only had 1 extension so I guess I can just leave that one out.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 04:21:08 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2023, 01:40:43 PM »
I'm not sure if there will be a date code on the wrenches, but I can see the 2400 ratchet in the set I bought on Ebay has a 1976 date code on it.
It would be cool if it's all the same or similar age, but that's not exactly necessary.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline nelstomlinson

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2023, 10:59:14 PM »
What are you using for the nuggies box? Seems like the right box is a big part of the utility of that set.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2023, 09:49:30 AM »
What are you using for the nuggies box? Seems like the right box is a big part of the utility of that set.
I'm compiling the components before I figure that part out.
I'm thinking it will be some kind of small Plano or Flambeau tackle box, I like steel but plastic is kind of necessar here.
If neither of them have a box I can use, I'll see what MIHO out of Japan has.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2023, 02:42:30 PM »
I just got the wrenches, and it turns put they're just EASCO wrenches in a WRIGHT pouch.

I'm not sure why, if WRIGHT never made ignition wrenches like this or if they were put in this wrench roll by a previous owner.

It looks like I'll have to stick with Williams for my set.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 04:08:12 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2023, 12:27:18 AM »
Looking back over the pictures I've saved of the 19nd buggies set, I see ( keep forgetting ) that there actually is no sliding T included.
The 6" extension just has a hole for a T bar.
With that in mind it gives me some ideas, like maybe making a t bar that fits the hole in the WRIGHT flex handle and just getting a vintage WRIGHT 4" adjustable to take care of the wrench situation.
I have accepted the fact that I will have to make some kind of compromise and a little DIY to make this happen, but I have set this goal in my mind.

I must create a suitable equivalent to the 19nd nuggies, I know it won't be exact but it has to have all of the same capabilities and all tools must be the same brand.

One thing I still haven't really figured out is whether the wrenches in the set are special scales down " midget " wrenches,  or if they're just some extra nice ignition wrenches.
Those wrenches have been one of the biggest hiccups.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline nelstomlinson

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2024, 09:59:52 PM »
I was noodling through Cripe's store today, and I remembered your quest to build a not-quite-a-nuggies set.

They had a 1/4" ratchet, SAE shallow sockets, a spinner handle and ignition wrench set, all USA Kobalt. If I stuck them in a rounded plastic box, that's pretty close to the Nuggies 19N, right?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2024, 12:53:09 AM »
I was noodling through Cripe's store today, and I remembered your quest to build a not-quite-a-nuggies set.

They had a 1/4" ratchet, SAE shallow sockets, a spinner handle and ignition wrench set, all USA Kobalt. If I stuck them in a rounded plastic box, that's pretty close to the Nuggies 19N, right?
Essentially I guess except you'd be missing a flex handle " breaker bar " and an extension.
The problem is that the 19nd nuggies set was specifically extra small tools and I think they even made the midget wrenches especially for the Nuggies set because they don't appear to just be ignition wrenches and the larger sizes would not normally be that small of a wrench.

I am just quite particular about this endeavor of mine,  but you don't have to be and if I wasn't this set would be complete already assembled with Craftsman tools I already have.
Always lookin' to learn