Author Topic: Road Box...  (Read 1513 times)

Offline muddy

Road Box...
« on: May 30, 2023, 07:37:06 PM »
Reorganizing my road box before we head out to Ohio for a wedding this weekend.

Here's what I have inside...

1/2 :
Sockets : 7/16-1-1/4 & 9-22 mm
10" ratchet
14" breaker bar
16" ratchet.
3", 6", 10" extensions & a universal

3/8 :
5/16-3/4 & 10-19 shallow and deep sockets.
10" flex head ratchet (needs replaced)
1-3/4" 2-3/4", 5-3/4, & 8-1/2" extensions

1/4" spline drive socket set.
1/4 rachet

3/8 - 1-1/4 & 10-22mm combo wrenches. 2 adjustable wrenches. Metric and SAE Allen key set.

2 sizes "channel locks" , wire stripper/crimper, needle nose pliers. 3 locking pliers (large, medium, needle nose) assorted punches and chisels. Gasket scrapers. Pry bar, and small tire spoon (make shift pry bar)

Ratcheting screwdriver with assortment of bits (Phillips, flat, Allen, torx etc). Assortment of butt connectors, 10 ft each black and red wire, electric tape.

Automotive style test light, and multimeter

Things I'd like to add :

3/8 ratchets (standard and flex head), 3/8 swivel, 1/4 extensions

Side cutters, flashlight.

Can you guys think of anything to add? Maybe even take out?

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline bonneyman

Re: Road Box...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 08:57:35 PM »
Looks good! You're carrying more than I carry in my daily traveler.

I'd carry two fully charged LED flashlights. I like the ones with pivoting heads, so I can prop them up and have the light aimed so if I need to change, say, a tire, the light will put the beam where I'm working.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 09:00:22 PM »
A good flashlight and a 14oz ball peen ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 10:28:17 PM »
Small hammer, small rubber mallet, emergency flashers or reflectors, extendable magnetic pickup tool, extendable mirror...
boop/bop/beep

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 11:09:11 PM »
what are you driving?

seems like a lot duplication in socketry. skip the smaller 1/2 drive sizes and throw in a couple adapters. unless you are pulling a trailer or a much older vehicle the sae stuff may be a waste of weight and space.

i can't imagine what an 1 1/4 wrench would be used for on any modern vehicle. ball hitch maybe?  i just cant see carrying a 14 pc  wrench set in a modern car. 3/8 -3/4, 15/16 and 1 1/8 maybe.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 07:44:40 AM »
Maybe a gas can and a decent jack?

• Ran when parked
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 08:37:11 AM »
Maybe a gas can and a decent jack?

Good idea.  Small trolley jack.
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 09:17:57 AM »
AAA card :))

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2023, 10:05:12 AM »
Nice road box Tim. If you have the room, then that's perfect. I have a similar cantilever in my Cadillac DTS, and it has a lot of versatility. Saved my old butt several times. Safe travels!

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2023, 07:30:42 PM »
what are you driving?

seems like a lot duplication in socketry. skip the smaller 1/2 drive sizes and throw in a couple adapters. unless you are pulling a trailer or a much older vehicle the sae stuff may be a waste of weight and space.

i can't imagine what an 1 1/4 wrench would be used for on any modern vehicle. ball hitch maybe?  i just cant see carrying a 14 pc  wrench set in a modern car. 3/8 -3/4, 15/16 and 1 1/8 maybe.
While I call it my road box. I carry it along to tractor pulls, and trips to the farm and my parents place. So I could be working on anything from a 48 JD B to a 2017 equinox.

I originally put it together when I drove the 94 Plymouth which was mostly SAE and now the 95 Oldsmobile is a mix of the two.

This box jumps from daily driver 95 Oldsmobile to 03 2500 to 2016 mom mobile.

I get what your saying about the smaller sockets in 1/2 and larger combo wrenches. Would free up some space for odds and ends that's I've been thinking about throwing in.

AAA card :))
Had them for a few years. When they refused to help me out with my sisters flat tire on a truck the same size as mine. (So I would basically be out of luck if it were my truck)  I dropped them.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 07:36:56 PM by muddy »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2023, 10:16:15 PM »
makes sense for the uses you described. i thought you were specificly packing for this trip.

"if" the vehicle you are driving to ohio is all metric i may be inclined to pull all of the metric stuff out (along with the generic tools). then put it in a tool bag or backpack. it would save a pile of weight and  be easier to pack luggage and coolers around or stash in a storage compartment.

i hate to be a negative nellie but i have seen large items unsecured in a vehicle go through the windshield or side window on their way out of a vehicle. or worse yet bounce off the kiddos or other passengers in an accident.

about 35 years ago in my younger days i  hit the ditch on a stormy night.  a large metal object that was on the rear deck took out my windsheild as it  flew forward. if it had hit me in the back of the head i doubt i would be here today. i am not in any way insinuating that a large tool box iinside the passenger compartment  is going to kill you but stranger things have happened.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2023, 10:59:49 PM »
In the old days, my grandpa also carried spare fluid (oil), an extra belt (Serpentine and tool now days) and bulbs.
Also road flares.

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2023, 08:44:06 PM »

makes sense for the uses you described. i thought you were specificly packing for this trip.

"if" the vehicle you are driving to ohio is all metric i may be inclined to pull all of the metric stuff out (along with the generic tools). then put it in a tool bag or backpack. it would save a pile of weight and  be easier to pack luggage and coolers around or stash in a storage compartment.

i hate to be a negative nellie but i have seen large items unsecured in a vehicle go through the windshield or side window on their way out of a vehicle. or worse yet bounce off the kiddos or other passengers in an accident.

about 35 years ago in my younger days i  hit the ditch on a stormy night.  a large metal object that was on the rear deck took out my windsheild as it  flew forward. if it had hit me in the back of the head i doubt i would be here today. i am not in any way insinuating that a large tool box iinside the passenger compartment  is going to kill you but stranger things have happened.

Makes sense 100%. It's all part of being a mechanic/farmer/anxiety ridden. I tend to over pack. I do have an 80 piece CaseIH (same thing as blue pout) with 3/8 and 1/2 sockets and 3/8-3/4 & 10-19mm wrenches. It's in a blow molded case. See how much Mrs. Mandy packs. she's a prepper so their may not be room :))

Also no negative Nelly here. I've always thought about the things in people's cars becoming projectiles while in a crash. I've been in enough accidents/emergency braking situations that newtons law of inertia is real!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 08:44:37 AM »
Lets see, we have an over packer and a prepper.  Time to hook up the trailer :))

• Ran when parked
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2023, 07:50:19 PM »
Lets see, we have an over packer and a prepper.  Time to hook up the trailer :))

You think they'll tunnel in or down?   :))
boop/bop/beep