Author Topic: Need simple ideas  (Read 14324 times)

Offline Elroy

Re: Need simple ideas
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 06:16:17 PM »
Do you have a step ladder

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 11:10:50 PM »
A cordless soldering iron if you do electrical work. I have a butane fired Blue Point that I really like.

A good set of Thomas and Betts crimpers.

jafe,

Can you post  pic's of your T&B crimpers.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 06:15:33 PM »
A cordless soldering iron if you do electrical work. I have a butane fired Blue Point that I really like.

A good set of Thomas and Betts crimpers.

jafe,

Can you post  pic's of your T&B crimpers.

I will get a pic today or tomorrow.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 08:49:04 PM »
I told my parents to get me the following it should help me when working on friends cars
 ^-^ https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004WK9I3O/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 12:43:19 AM »
Well it took me a little longer tha I had planned but here are my T&B crimpers.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 07:30:46 AM »
I have the same crimpers, except they were made by Klein ???   I think I know, but why the red and black handles?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 07:34:01 AM »
Yep, those are da bomb!!  When you make a crimp with those, you can feel its right compared to the cheaper kind that kinda smash the lug closed.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 10:36:14 AM »
The handles are coded to show how to orient the split in the connector.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 11:19:26 AM »
Jafe,

Thanks for posting the pic's.

I have one of these and they do make a great crimp. Unfortunately I've completely worn the wire cutter tips down to the point they "no worky no more".  I'm hoping I can file/grind the wire cutter tips back into usable shape again.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »
They are good ones. Hope you can resharpen the cutters. Please post up how you do it.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 03:02:25 PM »
I have tried to resharpen the cutters with some limited success.  Use a file and take your time.  Now that I think of it, a dremel with a stone may work well, but again, take your time and grind lightly, that way if you get out of shape a bit, you can reshape without much effort. 

I think the key to keeping them sharp is to stay after them, not wait till they are dull.  Easier to dress the edge a bit now and then rather then do a major sharpening at one time. 

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 10:54:40 PM »
Jafe & Fat's,

I don't know if you've noticed, but wire cutters are typically BITCH hard.  They laugh at files :o

A small Dremel stone or sanding disk may be the best bet.  I'm going to give my Dremel a go...

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 11:53:41 PM »
I have never tried to sharpen a pair of cutters although I dohave some I would like to revive. I am following to see what you do.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 07:18:08 AM »
Jafe & Fat's,

I don't know if you've noticed, but wire cutters are typically BITCH hard.  They laugh at files :o

A small Dremel stone or sanding disk may be the best bet.  I'm going to give my Dremel a go...

Ah yes, I have noticed :))  I have had some luck going over them several times and switching types of files a few times.  The files start to semi bite and will dress the edge.  I know its a lot of effort but hey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,don't we all get a kick out of saving a tool despite it not being worth the effort?

I will try a dremel and stone next time.