Author Topic: Anybody heard of Southwire tools?  (Read 11039 times)

Offline bonneyman

Anybody heard of Southwire tools?
« on: November 01, 2018, 10:19:12 PM »
Supposedly American-made with American steel. No wrenches, but drivers, pliers, meters, and power cords. Their stuff looks pretty good.

Anybody have any experience with them?

http://www.southwiretools.com/tools/home.do

Offline slip knot

Re: Anybody heard of Southwire tools?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 10:55:18 PM »
Wasn't Lowes peddling these things?? IIRC they were made in china then. I may be mistaken tho.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 11:43:28 PM »
I seem to recall Lowes hawking something like that. The stuff was brown.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 12:55:12 AM »
I was going to ask this recently because I saw that they have some US made pliers and wire strippers, but didn't bother because they're probably produced by Channellock so there's no point to buy their version instead of just going to the local hardware store.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 02:05:08 AM »
If you click on the URL that bonneyman posted in the first post, and click the tab that says "TOOLS", and then click on "Made in USA" on the drop-down menu, the first six items (pliers) pictured look exactly like Proamerica product. (see HERE: https://www.proamericatools.com/ )
Proamerica is a primary manufacturer and a sister company of "KAL". Their product selection is pretty much limited to pliers.
While they have a very amateurish looking website, their product does not appear to be all that bad. I have a lot of it.
The best prices on it are through Bowers Tool on Ebay. Mr. Bowers was able to get several items made to order, which are exclusively available from him (i.e., their ring-nose pliers for removing hoses as well as a few other items.) (Search Ebay for "Pro America KAL" - Mr. Bowers has it listed with a space in the name.)

Proamerica is OE for a number of other brands, among them Tekton and Proto. I was unable to get any of their staff people to divulge any more information than that. They are little concerned with the consumer trade, as their primary focus is supplying their private-label accounts. (The "KAL" side of the company now caters exclusively to military/government contracts.)

A couple close-up examples. My opinion is that the fit and finish is excellent. Reviews of the ring-nose pliers from a Toyota service technician were favorable. (search Garagejournal.com for "ring nose pliers")
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 03:09:39 AM by four.cycle »

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
I was in a Lowes once and needed a set of wire strippers. I bought a set of the USA made straight handle labeled Southwire, I have no complaints and would buy them again. In fact I would buy them before a pair of Klein's, nobody has stole the Southwire strippers yet.

four.cycle-I have some of the KAL tools you mentioned, top shelf stuff in my opinion. We had a local guy that received a contract with the DoD to perform material diposal for the local navy base. His "material" turned out to be tons (in weight) of tools and shop equipment. I outfitted my truck, dads truck, and the farm truck with a nice selection of tools at minimal cost. I have used/abused those 1/2 drive KAL sockets with a long handled proto and my fat ass standing on the ratchet handle several times and they perform great. Wonderful chrome finish to boot.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 09:30:04 AM »
OK guys that sounds great. Guess I'll have to add Southwire and Pro America to my watch list.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 10:51:54 AM »
Quote from: highland512, regarding KAL 1/2" drive sockets and accessories
Wonderful chrome finish to boot.

If you look in the "1/4" socket set" thread in the "vintage" forum you will see I've posted a few of my KAL and Proamerica 1/4" drive sets. One of the things that impressed me about them was fit and finish - the chroming is first rate. I can't speak to their durability in respect to high torque values - I only own their 1/4" drive stuff and I just don't use it that way. Unfortunately most any KAL sockets or drive tools you will find will be military surplus - they just don't cater to the consumer trade.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 05:37:16 PM »
If you click on the URL that bonneyman posted in the first post, and click the tab that says "TOOLS", and then click on "Made in USA" on the drop-down menu, the first six items (pliers) pictured look exactly like Proamerica product. (see HERE: https://www.proamericatools.com/ )
Proamerica is a primary manufacturer and a sister company of "KAL". Their product selection is pretty much limited to pliers.
While they have a very amateurish looking website, their product does not appear to be all that bad. I have a lot of it.
The best prices on it are through Bowers Tool on Ebay. Mr. Bowers was able to get several items made to order, which are exclusively available from him (i.e., their ring-nose pliers for removing hoses as well as a few other items.) (Search Ebay for "Pro America KAL" - Mr. Bowers has it listed with a space in the name.)

Proamerica is OE for a number of other brands, among them Tekton and Proto. I was unable to get any of their staff people to divulge any more information than that. They are little concerned with the consumer trade, as their primary focus is supplying their private-label accounts. (The "KAL" side of the company now caters exclusively to military/government contracts.)

A couple close-up examples. My opinion is that the fit and finish is excellent. Reviews of the ring-nose pliers from a Toyota service technician were favorable. (search Garagejournal.com for "ring nose pliers")
Good to know.

I don't have any USA made Kal pliers but I've got a small pair of KAL linesman's made in Japan and they're a very well made tool.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Hootbro

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 08:17:10 AM »
About 4 years or so ago, Lowes did a total reset of their electrical tool section. Prior to that, they carried the more well known names like Fluke, Knipex and Ideal. They replaced about 95% of those brands with the Southwire Brand that had then just launched a all encompassing electrical tool line and partnered with Lowes. Initially, most of it was import but they have since brought in a handful of American made hand tools.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 09:17:56 AM »
Well, I just snagged a Southwire badger pair of wire strippers, and the quality seems good to me. Have swapped out my work pair with these - we'll give them a test run and see what happens.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 05:46:45 PM »
About 4 years or so ago, Lowes did a total reset of their electrical tool section. Prior to that, they carried the more well known names like Fluke, Knipex and Ideal. They replaced about 95% of those brands with the Southwire Brand that had then just launched a all encompassing electrical tool line and partnered with Lowes. Initially, most of it was import but they have since brought in a handful of American made hand tools.

I had read about the great Lowe's Knipex purge at the other place, that was before I was a fan. Day late, dollar short.

However my local Lowe's had USA Ideal pliers alongside Chinese Southwire until maybe a year ago. Went in one day and the electrical tool section was cleaned out. I had never bought any Ideal tools, but I started drooling at the thought of USA made pliers for pennies on the dollar on the clearance rack...then reality: the few I found on clearance were still pricier than their Channellock equivalent online, so I passed.

After that, they redid it with all Southwire, including some USA.