Author Topic: Machinery's Handbook - 16th Edition 1959  (Read 10250 times)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Machinery's Handbook - 16th Edition 1959
« on: December 09, 2018, 10:25:57 AM »
Some time ago I helped a friend clean out a garage for his neighbor calling me over because they had a couple of radios he thought I may be interested in.  The gentleman who lived here was a retired machinist from Newport News Shipbuilding and along with the radios had a pretty good selection of tools, many of which were claimed by a grandson.  Along with a very nice Starrett dial indicator on a Mitutoyo magnetic base I was given this book if I found it of interest.

It's a 1959 copyright Machinery's Handbook of just over 2100 pages filled with personal notes and papers stuck in various sections.  This well-used book was obviously a regular reference for this machinist before calculators as there are many notes with math problems worked out based on the formulas found.

An interesting window into this man's occupation.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Machinery's Handbook - 16th Edition 1959
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 10:54:16 AM »
Fantastic find! --

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 11:04:33 AM »
That's a cool book I have one and find it very interesting. Having the owners notes just makes it cooler.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 11:15:32 AM »
Great find and unquestionably the best reference manual you will ever add to your shop library!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 11:47:09 AM »
That is a great find and you probably prevented it from going in the trash.
When Kennedy boxes have a drawer made just for the MH it shows how important that book is. In a large company with multiple machinists you could piss off the old timers by asking questions when the answer is right in the book. I sometimes sit down with my book and just look through it and read a little.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 01:10:12 PM »
Great find and unquestionably the best reference manual you will ever add to your shop library!
Yes, some quick skimming through the sections I was amazed at the data and subjects addressed:
math tables, wire rope, springs, bearings, gearing, splines, chains, joints, threads, milling, heat-treatments and the list goes on and on.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
Yes, some quick skimming through the sections I was amazed at the data and subjects addressed:
math tables, wire rope, springs, bearings, gearing, splines, chains, joints, threads, milling, heat-treatments and the list goes on and on.

There is a learning curve associated with reading the book, and there are several guides that have been published to aid in the understanding and interpretation of MH tables, charts, and formulas.   

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 03:18:54 PM »
That is a great find and you probably prevented it from going in the trash.
When Kennedy boxes have a drawer made just for the MH it shows how important that book is. In a large company with multiple machinists you could piss off the old timers by asking questions when the answer is right in the book. I sometimes sit down with my book and just look through it and read a little.
Yes, this was a save from the trash or recycling bin and I don't know if I will ever use it but it is a great reference book and "light" read.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 04:45:56 PM »
Old books like that are just gold to me.

I have an old book from my wife's family. I'll start a new thread so as not to become a hi-jacker.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 04:51:03 PM by bonneyman »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 05:26:34 PM »
lots of info and history to go with it. even if you are not a machinist there is lots of every day info in them as well.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 06:52:01 PM »
Old books like that are just gold to me.

I have an old book from my wife's family. I'll start a new thread so as not to become a hi-jacker.
Me too.

I'm with you.
This is one I just picked up for 1941 Motorola auto radios. 

Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 06:53:03 PM »
The MH is great, I keep my grandfathers copy in the chest where I can get to it.

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 05:00:51 AM »
The 25th edition "required textbook" in college, sits on my desk at work.   I have a pair of older ones I keep at home as they're just too damn handy not to have.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 08:01:00 AM »
Very cool find especially with the notes 8)