Author Topic: SITE UPGRADE  (Read 742 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
SITE UPGRADE
« on: February 22, 2024, 12:47:08 AM »
Guys,  it's no secret there have been huge issues here the last few days. Hopefully I don't burn our clubhouse down. I am going to attempt to upgrade the GG to the newest suggested operating system.

I don't mean tomorrow either, I mean right now! Hopefully this goes well. I am out of my depth now so all I can tell y'all is hang on, we might be in for a bumpy ride for a bit!

UB
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: SITE UPGRADE
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 12:59:34 AM »
OK, I had second thoughts about this. I better slow down a bit and move a little slower. I will eyeball this with a fresh set of eyes tomorrow AM. After I have had a little more time to noodle this around some more I will move forward with the suggested upgrade, likely tomorrow.

The good thing about the site going dark is I am learning ALOT more about being an Admin and might be able to handle more in that role. So for tonight, things will stay the same. But come tomorrow changes will likely be happening once I sort this out!

UB.  :NIGHT_1:

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 02:26:15 AM »
Good luck!  Hopefully you've got contact info for additional tech support handy too.

I used to run SMF based forums, might be able to help if you get stuck.

Offline geneg

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 04:41:18 AM »
Thanks for the update & good luck!  Not a project that I would look forward to.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 06:18:09 AM »
what a mess --- I'm stoked as anything that you managed to find the "keys" to the machine Herb. --

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 06:41:17 AM »
damn straight herb! you da man today! fingers crossed!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 07:06:02 AM »
I have some message about data is full and needs emptied. If I can get to the bottom of that I think that will cure to most recent issues that shut off the lights off.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 07:30:20 AM »
Noticed the site was unreachable for a few days. Was hoping nothing major bad happened. Good to know things are planned.

Online jabberwoki

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2024, 09:59:20 PM »
Any news from Rusty?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2024, 10:12:37 PM »
Scared I was going to witness the second crash of GG. Best of luck UB. I'm competent enough with computers to end up messing something up lol

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2024, 10:13:14 PM »
 There will be a site upgrade coming for sure. That said, I have figured out just how little I really know about being an Admin. Fortunately, there are smarter cats than me here that have also been named as Admins which is very fortunate for our group! As admins we will work collectively to begin work on cleaning this mess up as best we can figure it out. If we can locate Rusty then things will get a lot easier. If we can't locate Rusty then we will just have to keep chipping away at it and trying to clean up this mess!

Just know this, anything positive that happens here including getting the power back on here is NEVER something I did by myself. I do the best I can to help, but rest assured others did the heavy lifting and I was just their swamper (That means I was their errand boy and was steppin and fetchin at their direction and instructions to get the thing back on the tracks!)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2024, 11:12:03 PM »
i am going to throw this out. if any of our members have knowledge of running a site like this, reach out to us. this is no time for pride. priority one is getting this place to have at least 4 tires and air.  we can fix the oil leaks and weak brakes as they come up.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2024, 11:39:45 PM »
Scared I was going to witness the second crash of GG. Best of luck UB. I'm competent enough with computers to end up messing something up lol

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman

I assure you, I am no better! In fact that is exactly why this place has two Admins! The desire for both this site and the Machinist Gazette were mine. I will claim that. However, I knew before either site existed that I did not have the knowledge to do the Admin stuff needed to do the tech savvy stuff to operate a site. I approached Rusty and asked for his advise on how to move forward to create the sites. Rusty amazingly stepped up and told me that in addition to the site that he owned, the package he was paying his host company would allow him to add as many as three more sites! Rusty suggested that we become partners so to speak. He told me he would cover the bases for his site and those I developed by taking care of the Admin stuff (everything beyond what a moderator would do) All I had to do was build the sites on, essentially templates, for lack of a better word. The sites I built was the part you see when you come to the site, sections and topics etc. So, how could I pass, that was a better solution than I ever dreamed would come my way! So, he supplied the templates, I designed the original sites, and we opened them up. Of course, countless changes, including the first site implosion, and many others have changed both  site designs greatly since both sites were opened.

Thank the Lord for the great Mods that run both GG & MG! Without those guys I doubt either site would exist today! Recall,  I was awol for several years, I mean totally out of the picture for every bit of two years, maybe more!

Fortunately what happened was exactly what I wanted to happen. I wanted sites where their continued existence did not depend on me.

So see, I am only smart in some ways,  but Fortunately, they are ways that count. I simply surround myself with others that are smarter than I am. That is not due to laziness, but rather just enough smarts to know that I need to rely on the sharp folks like these mods to keep things on track and running right!

Heck, if everything was left up to me I would still be stumbling around in the dark looking for the light switch to open this place back up!  :smiley_confused1:

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2024, 11:56:05 PM »
Absolutely, I could not agree more!  :bravo_2:

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2024, 12:03:06 AM »
Any news from Rusty?

No, we are working on trying to round him up. Rusty is key to everything here. Technically,  Rusty owns this site. We have a bit of a can of worms to untangle if we can't locate him. Right now, that is probably our biggest problem to solve in trying to move forward with things. We  are working on rounding that chap up I assure you!