Author Topic: Time for a new light work jacket  (Read 797 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Time for a new light work jacket
« on: March 01, 2024, 08:35:07 PM »
My previous light work jacket for years has been this 80's USN utility jacket my uncle gave me 20 years ago when I was a kid.
It's been a great jacket that handles everything I can throw at it as a truck stop maintenance worker, but as much as I love the jacket it's time to retire it.

The ends of the sleeves have be wearing through for a few years, but they're getting worse.

A year and a half ago the zipper pull broke and I hastily bought a work jacket at the hardware store on my way home that day to replace it.
I soon discovered that the fit / cut of the new jacket didn't allow for much arm mobility which I really disliked, so I decided to fix the zipper pull on my old USN utility and keep wearing it as long as my fix would last.

Yesterday I got an email from All American Clothing company ( a great retailer) about their " new " 12oz canvas work jacket and I liked what I saw so I ordered one.
https://www.allamericanclothing.com/products/all-american-clothing-canvas-jacket
The action back shoulder gussets really appealed to me as did the button wind flap over the zipper, I would rather have a dark color if I can but Diamond Gusset doesn't make them in any other colors so I settled because I liked everything else about it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Time for a new light work jacket
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 08:39:34 PM »
Looks very nice. I would wear one of those.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 09:07:31 PM »
I also looked at the 12oz duck hooded jacket from round house, but my size is currently out of stock.
https://www.round-house.com/products/1806-american-made-jackets-made-in-usa-black-duck-hood-12-oz-canvas
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 09:10:53 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 10:07:14 PM »
I looked at this LC King as well which is a slightly more premium quality,  but it's completely unlined, has no zipper which I prefer at work, and doesn't have the shoulder Gussets.
https://lcking.com/collections/mens-coats-jackets/products/brown-duck-chore-coat?variant=13273279397955

Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 07:10:29 PM »
That LC looks like a nice jacket!

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 07:25:41 PM »
Check out Duluth Trading Company's Fire Hose line. They use thick cotton canvas like that used in fire hoses to make jackets, work pants, etc. Extremely tough and durable, comes in several colors and styles.  I have one of their outdoor jackets. Non-insulated, though you can get that. As thick as it is you'd expect it to be real stiff, but they treat it to make it more pliable.

The one I have is like this, but they make thinner and lighter versions.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/s/DTC/mens-fire-hose-flannel-lined-hooded-action-jac-80811.html?color=FIB
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 07:27:12 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 02:38:54 PM »
Jackets are one of many category's where I prefer to buy American whenever possible.

I'd love to be able to buy some American made work pants of which I've discovered a surprising number of options,  but few companies make my size and none that do are available near me so I could try them on.
I've been burned more than a few times ordering pants online that I can't wear.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 02:53:06 PM »
Jackets are one of many category's where I prefer to buy American whenever possible.

I'd love to be able to buy some American made work pants of which I've discovered a surprising number of options,  but few companies make my size and none that do are available near me so I could try them on.
That's my biggest gripe with Duluth. They are quality products however they are priced similar to USA made. Like you said I'd rather support a USA company if I can.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 03:06:32 PM »

Sorry guys, I didn't see that they were imported. I thought mine was USA, but it was many years ago.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 04:54:18 PM »

Sorry guys, I didn't see that they were imported. I thought mine was USA, but it was many years ago.
I already chose the American made Diamond Gusset jacket, so feel free to post whatever .
Maybe somebody doesn't care about COO and that jacket happens to have everything they're looking for.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2024, 10:01:55 PM »

I already chose the American made Diamond Gusset jacket, so feel free to post whatever .
Maybe somebody doesn't care about COO and that jacket happens to have everything they're looking for.

Just for the heck of it I pulled my jacket out of the closet and checked. It's made in Hong Kong. So not USA.
But it is a quality jacket. Hopefully someone can use the referral.

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 11:27:53 AM »
No worries. Before Duluth got BIG their quality was real good and prices were fair. Then they grew, the quality seems to be there yet. However the prices jumped big time.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 06:09:24 PM »
No worries. Before Duluth got BIG their quality was real good and prices were fair. Then they grew, the quality seems to be there yet. However the prices jumped big time.

Oh yeah. I bought a pair of their contractors boots - the angle variety with the Vibram soles. Cost about $139 if I remember right. Checked back some years later and they had jumped quite a bit. Then they were discontinued. Guess the cost went so high the sales dropped off. Still have those boots, though.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 07:20:50 PM »

Oh yeah. I bought a pair of their contractors boots - the angle variety with the Vibram soles. Cost about $139 if I remember right. Checked back some years later and they had jumped quite a bit. Then they were discontinued. Guess the cost went so high the sales dropped off. Still have those boots, though.
Those wedge sole moc toe boots were made by Weinbrenner at the Thorogood factory in Wisconsin.
Now they just directly offer Thorogood boots instead of rebranding them.
The boots they sell under their own brand now are imported and nowhere near as good as Thorogoods.

My everyday Thorogoods that I bought 4 years ago were $200, I bought a different pair for work a year and a half ago for $250.
Thankfully the price seems to have stabilized and they haven't risen since then.
They're still worth every penny, but pricing for boots in general is just getting out of hand.
It's getting to the point where the least crappy cheap imports are creeping past $150.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 07:23:24 PM »
I just got an email informing me that my jacket has shipped.
Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get here from Ohio.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 08:44:02 PM »

Those wedge sole moc toe boots were made by Weinbrenner at the Thorogood factory in Wisconsin.
Now they just directly offer Thorogood boots instead of rebranding them.
The boots they sell under their own brand now are imported and nowhere near as good as Thorogoods.

My everyday Thorogoods that I bought 4 years ago were $200, I bought a different pair for work a year and a half ago for $250.
Thankfully the price seems to have stabilized and they haven't risen since then.
They're still worth every penny, but pricing for boots in general is just getting out of hand.
It's getting to the point where the least crappy cheap imports are creeping past $150.

Every major brand is being hit with the imported thing.
I went into the Red Wing store to pic up a pair of boot laces years ago. Guy gave me two sets - no charge. Said I'd definitely be patronizing his business in the future.
Then I read that Red Wing got bought out by the Chinese in 2012? It's like, damn!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2024, 10:26:10 PM »
Redwing is still a family owned American company with their own American leather tannery ( S-B FOOT ) , however most of the models marketed as work boots and the entire Irish setter line are imported.
They still have their Heritage boot line and the traditional work boot models / styles like moc toe wedge soles which are all American made, and some of the traction tread boots are American made as well.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 10:28:58 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2024, 06:20:44 PM »
Redwing is still a family owned American company with their own American leather tannery ( S-B FOOT ) , however most of the models marketed as work boots and the entire Irish setter line are imported.
They still have their Heritage boot line and the traditional work boot models / styles like moc toe wedge soles which are all American made, and some of the traction tread boots are American made as well.
Their USA made boots are pricey but well worth it.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2024, 08:14:08 PM »

Didn't know that. Glad to find out some of their stuff is still US made.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2024, 12:25:35 AM »
I looked on their site and it seems they have 19 models of work oriented boots that are American made.( plus about the same number in their Heritage boot line intended for casual wear )
In my mind only 2 are really worth the money though ,  that would be the 10875 and 10877 which are the " traction tread " slip resistant versions of their traditional moc toes.

The reason I would pass on their other domestic work boots ( the super sole 2.0 line ) is because they're all objectively overpriced for a cemented construction disposable boot, these models range from $260-$340.
  I'm sure they're a perfectly fine boot, but for $250-$275 you could buy a more traditional American made Thorogood that can be resoled if that's applicable to you're situation,  and if not most of them use a tumble relaxed leather that you can pretty much go to work in right out of the box.

I doubt the super sole series are bad boots, they're just objectively overpriced because you can get more for less, and I'd only buy them if on sale.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 12:36:24 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2024, 10:26:11 PM »

I looked on their site and it seems they have 19 models of work oriented boots that are American made.( plus about the same number in their Heritage boot line intended for casual wear )
In my mind only 2 are really worth the money though ,  that would be the 10875 and 10877 which are the " traction tread " slip resistant versions of their traditional moc toes.

The reason I would pass on their other domestic work boots ( the super sole 2.0 line ) is because they're all objectively overpriced for a cemented construction disposable boot, these models range from $260-$340.
  I'm sure they're a perfectly fine boot, but for $250-$275 you could buy a more traditional American made Thorogood that can be resoled if that's applicable to you're situation,  and if not most of them use a tumble relaxed leather that you can pretty much go to work in right out of the box.

I doubt the super sole series are bad boots, they're just objectively overpriced because you can get more for less, and I'd only buy them if on sale.

The super soles are great boots and being goodyear welt style can be resoled. I'm 2 years into my super soles and they barely show wear on the tread.

I have the steel toe with a tough toe coating and they don't nearly look as old as they are.

There was hardly any break in time compared to my heritage moc toes.

Considering sending my moc toes in for resole to Potter and Sons. Trenton and Heath do great work.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2024, 11:31:35 PM »
I didn't see Goodyear welts in any of the 16 models they currently offer, but maybe it was just a stock photo issue or the stitching is black and hard to see ?

I'd definitely send those Moc toes in to  Trenton & Heath.
I don't know for sure if they have them available yet but they partnered with the American manufacturer to get a Potter & Sons version of the longer lasting urethane based wedge soles Thorogood and Carolina uses.

You should be able to have them use one of these outsoles instead of getting a pair of vibram Christy wedges that wear out faster.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2024, 03:07:21 PM »
I'll have to start looking again for a new light work jacket, because the new Diamond Gusset didn't work out.
It's a very nice well made jacket, but I didn't pay attention to the measurements listed and their sizes run way too large.

Somehow they think it's okay to call a size 44 a small, a small is typically 34-36 and sometimes as much as a 38.
38-42 is typically a medium but can sometimes go up 44 and start at 40 if 38 is gonna be listed as small , I don't think a 44 has traditionally ever been considered a small though.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2024, 04:23:11 PM »
Well they say if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I kept looking online and couldn't find any American made jackets that fit the bill which were available in my size, so I went on Ebay and found a replacement for my old USN utility in unissued condition and from the same manufacturer too.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2024, 09:30:19 PM »
Hard to beat MilSpec. My ex wife used an old fatigue jacket for a chore coat for 20 yrs. it still looked new.

I dont believe I've ever had a pair of workboots last long enough to need resoling. By the time the soles are getting bad the rest of the boot is shot.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2024, 10:09:43 PM »
Hard to beat MilSpec. My ex wife used an old fatigue jacket for a chore coat for 20 yrs. it still looked new.

I dont believe I've ever had a pair of workboots last long enough to need resoling. By the time the soles are getting bad the rest of the boot is shot.
There are times when military issue gear is just lowest bidder and mediocre, but for the most part the clothing is a safe bet and pretty much all of it will be American made.
I have a woodland camo BDU shirt my dad gave me which I cut the sleeves off to wear as a fishing vest and it works well for that.

As far as boots goes, it just depends on the quality and what you're doing.
for me if I clean and condition them regularly the uppers will last long enough to get resoled, but I know there are people who will wear through the toes on their boots.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2024, 03:38:02 PM »

Btw I contacted Round House and they got back to me with a size chart, their small is a reasonable size 36-38 so I may eventually try one of their jackets when my size is back in stock.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 03:41:16 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2024, 07:23:49 AM »
I have a Carhart winter jacket with shoulder gussets.  Really like the freedom of movement they allow