Author Topic: 1951 Farmall Super A  (Read 3704 times)

Offline john k

Re: 1951 Farmall Super A
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2023, 08:00:15 AM »
The M Farmall, just 2 sizes up from  the C.  Put the John Deere mower behind it as am still looking for pieces for the IHC mower.  The no. 5 JD mower is a near universal fit to many tractors, and most all parts are still available.  Just look at youtube.  Came with a 6 volt system.   12 volt GM alternator was a bolt on. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 08:27:48 AM by john k »

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2023, 01:24:47 PM »
Looks good John !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2023, 01:49:12 AM »
Got mine out of the shed today ……..

25 years since it’s been out in the daylight!!!!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2023, 02:52:21 PM »
Crikey there must be 25 kg of spider web in that beasty!
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2023, 04:35:43 PM »
Crikey there must be 25 kg of spider web in that beasty!
….. they are now homeless spiders !!

Offline highland512

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2023, 07:50:54 AM »
Nice wide front on that M, I have the same cast wide front on the front of my MD (Diesel Powered M). They are kinda rare where I'm at.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2023, 11:56:32 AM »
Nice wide front on that M, I have the same cast wide front on the front of my MD (Diesel Powered M). They are kinda rare where I'm at.
is that wide front factory or aftermarket?
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline highland512

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2023, 03:10:53 PM »
Its a IH made cast iron wide front. Starting with the late production '54 M's had more of a pipe style wide front same as the 560's

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2023, 03:21:11 PM »
Both Muddy  and John K  have looked up my serial number and it seems like mines late 1945

Offline muddy

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2023, 08:57:12 PM »
Can't wait to see her running again!

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline highland512

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2023, 08:37:14 AM »

Here is the same front end on my 1949.  Got lucky and found this axle at a scrap yard

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2023, 10:55:09 AM »
Wow , you got that one looking really good ! Lots of work gone into that !! I had a hankering when I first got my one to find a narrow front and swap out my wide front , because M’s were built initially as a row crop tractor and felt that yo be more “in keeping” with the theme and it would get a full restoration . I doubt any of the M’s in NZ would have seen service as a row crop  tractor as that’s not a “thing” here . But now my views have changed , I’m thinking ,when I get around to it, to more do anything required mechanically but retain the patina that the years of work have given it, what you are saying about the wide front now is further reinforcing that to me .
Here in NZ we also got other different versions that came out of the UK , the BM and later diesel versions the BMD, “B” obviously meaning British, they had a different wide front with the drag link and tie rod behind the axle.

Offline highland512

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2023, 11:22:56 AM »
Wow , you got that one looking really good ! Lots of work gone into that !! I had a hankering when I first got my one to find a narrow front and swap out my wide front , because M’s were built initially as a row crop tractor and felt that yo be more “in keeping” with the theme and it would get a full restoration . I doubt any of the M’s in NZ would have seen service as a row crop  tractor as that’s not a “thing” here . But now my views have changed , I’m thinking ,when I get around to it, to more do anything required mechanically but retain the patina that the years of work have given it, what you are saying about the wide front now is further reinforcing that to me .
Here in NZ we also got other different versions that came out of the UK , the BM and later diesel versions the BMD, “B” obviously meaning British, they had a different wide front with the drag link and tie rod behind the axle.

A wide front can still be a row crop. Mine is set for 30" rows which is the standard for corn in the US (60" CL to CL of the tires). I had an opportunity to buy a BMD once, I declined when I thought of how hard it was to get parts for this one let alone something built for export.   

Offline highland512

1951 Farmall Super A
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2023, 09:03:11 AM »

One wheel has been locked up since I found it. I pulled the final drive to get access to the brake (not a great design)

The old brake band has swelled up and fused it self to the drum. I think I will be pulling the axle shaft.

The corrosion on the tractor is more extensive than what I thought it was. The oil pan for the final drive is rusted out and so far 50% of the bolts have either been cut off or heated and spun out with vice grips. The torch set I bought last winter is paying dividends.

This is caused by not washing your equipment after side dressing nitrogen, acidic soil, and I’m sure sitting in the dirt floor tobacco barn for 10+ years didn’t help.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2023, 06:54:06 PM »
Yeah you've got your work cut out for you there.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?