Author Topic: Junxavator  (Read 1539 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Junxavator
« on: October 20, 2023, 12:14:53 AM »
A couple weeks ago I answered an ad on FB for a cheap diesel screw compressor. It was a big electrical contractor cleaning out their yard. I bought the compressor and the yard manager asked if I was interested in a partially disassembled excavator sitting in the row of shame. He said they'd had it sold a year or so before, but the guy that came to get it didn't have clue and spent two days unhooking hydraulic lines trying to get it freewheeling to move. I guess he just blew away after that. I said I might be interested if it was cheap enough and he said he'd find out what the boss wanted. He text me on my way home with the compressor and the price was plenty low enough to buy it very safely even sight unseen.

The next day I rented a 14k tilt trailer and headed back over. It was an under 5 minute task to get it rolling. All that is needed is to pull the final drive covers and take the center drive shaft/gear out so the motor brake isn't holding things locked. After that it was a miserable hour of cranking a comealong in the rain to drag it up on the trailer. Had to dodge the DOT jump scales they had set up a mile away on my way home, but made unscathed otherwise.

Once home and unloaded (a lot easier with gravity helping), I needed to see it run. It had been sitting without a fuel cap for who knows how long, so I plumbed to jug of fresh fuel. I jumped the electric fuel pump and shutdown solenoid. The little kubota diesel is really shoehorned in there, and I didn't see a way to crack injector lines without pulling the returns and glow plug buss, so I just cranked the ever loving schit out of it in 30 second sessions for a couple hours. It finally popped off and ran like a top to my surprise. The only issue I could find was rubbed wire under the floorplate keeping from powering the lift pump.

Dumped 10 gal of hyd fluid in it and started bolting pieces back on. It's got 6k hours and the operators must have been allergic to grease meaning she's sloppy in the pins. Nothing mechanical seems broken and the hydraulic functionality is all there. I'm not sure what I plan to do with it. I have so little in it, I might as well keep it around to play with.

Offline oldnslo

Re: Junxavator
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 07:37:09 AM »
Looks like a fun 'lil piece of excavating equipment! Good luck with it.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 12:43:10 PM »
i like it!

i could find all kinds of uses for that.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 08:19:30 PM »
Friggen sweet score bloody well done mate.
That this will be sooo handy.

Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 08:26:50 PM »
Absolutely fantastic find. Especially for someone like yourself who knows how to fix and service such equipment. Guys like me wouldn't stand a chance with that kind of kit.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 08:55:24 PM »
Cool!  You remind me of zkdiesel on Channel 3.  Finding cool stuff like that for virtually nothing and getting it operable again. ;)
boop/bop/beep

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2023, 06:55:46 AM »
Outstanding buy!
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2023, 02:46:53 PM »
lots of fun to be had there.

Offline gtermini

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2023, 05:03:19 PM »
It can sure make a mess in a hurry. Plus, everywhere it breaks the surface seems to invite all the neighborhood cats to a new free litterbox  :021:

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2023, 05:11:26 PM »
Seriously we need a repair thread on this.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »
Not a fan of Bobcat. But for the right price I wouldn't have said no either! Nice grab!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline gtermini

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2023, 12:29:30 AM »
Not a fan of Bobcat. But for the right price I wouldn't have said no either! Nice grab!

These were the worst of the bobcat's. Total pos machines, just a step above chinese garbage. Luckily I'm in it less than a month's rental rate. The 3XX series before were solid and the newer E series seems to be a good compromise in quality/comfort/price. None are really built to last more then 5k hrs.

I watched a few too many SE asian videos on loading/unloading a mini from a truck, and decided to give it a go. My tilt trailer isn't stout enough to haul this 8k machine, and I'd like to avoid the $125 rental every time I want to take it somewhere. So I whipped up a couple support leg stands for the rear of my deckover trailer and gave it a try. Pretty uneventful and proves it's a viable option. I'll need to make better legs, as I bent the 1-1/4 sch 40 pipe I used in a couple times on and off. The legs take the entire weight of the machine as you lift it up to track walk on.

This guy is a lot smoother than I am

Pics or didn't happen, right?

Offline gtermini

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2023, 11:06:01 PM »
Did some dentistry on the bucket. Manganese plate for the lip because I had it. Welded out with esab core bright 309l self shielded wire. Got to try out a new to me Tweco 401 MST to air arc the old lip off. Pretty smooth little 400A machine and only 55 lbs.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2023, 06:53:58 AM »
Great work man. That kind of large scale fabrication is way out of my league. I'm a body and sheetmetal guy == LOL

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2023, 07:10:23 AM »
Esab has some nice machines, the old bucket got implants... Enjoy seeing/reading the heavy equipment repairs you post.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline john k

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2023, 07:51:59 AM »
Great welding job.   Glad it is coming together for you.  Really like that chain clevis holding the bucket.

Offline gtermini

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2023, 01:03:16 PM »
Thanks guys. I can make this stuff come out ok, but can't make sheet metal look good to save my life.

I bought the Tweco/Esab/Theremal Arc/SanRex for $650 off ebay as a backup for my xmt. Supposed to be the same specs and built with good stuff. I'm surprised they're not more common with how crazy miller has gotten with pricing in the last few years.

Really like that chain clevis holding the bucket.
These adjustable slings really are the cat's ass. This one's a 9/32 chain and rated for over 7500 lbs double leg 5:1. It's a 6ft chain and is often too short. I bought a 3/8 chain x 10ft that's good for 15k, but it's awfully heavy and the hooks are too big to fit in a lot of places.

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2023, 06:57:36 PM »
Nice work on the bucket!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk